[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Camping recipes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 11
File: camp-cooking-backpacking.jpg (115 KB, 612x375) Image search: [Google]
camp-cooking-backpacking.jpg
115 KB, 612x375
Hey guys can you post ideas about camping food? There's this kind of threads in /out/ but most of the time they post only processed food or those "add water" rations. What are some easy recipes that we can cook outdoors that don't take a lot of ingredients? Any tips?
>>
My grandpa used to make coffee with the grounds left in. You could try that.
>>
>>7474503
S'more.
>>
>>7474503
Soufflés are my go to camping food for sure.
>>
If you're going camping as in packing light for several days in the outdoors then dehydrated and add-water food. My average trip is about 3 nights off the back of my motorcycle so bringing cookware and perishable ingredients is a HUGE fucking hassle. I bring a tiny pocket rocket stove for heating instant coffee or soup mixes and that's about it. Can't imagine if you were living out of a backpack and trying to really cook at the same time.

If you're going camping as in your car is within walking distance and you can put a cooler in it, then why limit yourself in ingredients? Bring a dutch oven and prep some stuff for stew before you leave. Biscuits too. Bonus points if you know how to forage mushrooms or can fish.
>>
>>7474509

cowboy coffee. you just gotta take it off the heat for a minute and the grinds sink to the bottom, then scoop a mug full.

>>7474503

you can do all kinds of shit. i like to camp near trout streams, and i will put a large rock in the centre of my fire pit to fry fish on. cooking rocks work well for steaks and pork chops as well.
>>
>>7474503

Watch a Ray mears survival shows/documentaries. I know he's showcased a few outdoor cookery lessons.
>>
Silver turtles. You get ground meat and season it, throw in a bunch of chopped veggies like peppers, onions, carrots, and mushrooms. Wrap it tight in a tinfoil pouch and bury it in coals or cook directly next to a campfire. Make sure to add some liquid or water to pouch so it will steam. You'll probably either burn it to shit or end up with raw meat but when you manage to get it right it's good. You could also use chicken.
>>
File: Subterranean Turkey.jpg (30 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
Subterranean Turkey.jpg
30 KB, 480x360
>>7474503

My buddies and I made Subterranean Turkey a couple of times while camping.

Get a good sized campfire going and let it burn for about an hour, (to heat the ground underneath) then take a turkey and wrap it in alternating layers of unbleached wet newsprint paper (get it at the art supply store, don’t use actual newspapers due to the inks) and aluminum foil.

Then carefully shovel out any burning logs and scrape away the coals to the side, then dig a hole under the fire pit, put the wrapped turkey in the hole and bury it compleatly with the (hot) dirt, then shovel the coals and logs back on top and keep the campfire going several hours.

Reverse the process to extract the turkey, unwrap and eat the now super-duper moist turkey with your fingers like a bunch of drunken savages.
>>
>>7474683
That sounds nice. I guess it could work with a bunch of chickens or a pork roast. The only issue I see with this is that you're bound to be seriouslly wasted after hours of waiting for the thing to be ready.
>>
File: underground-turkey.jpg (83 KB, 579x328) Image search: [Google]
underground-turkey.jpg
83 KB, 579x328
>>7474689

> you're bound to be seriouslly wasted after hours of waiting for the thing to be ready.

That’s kinda the point and in fact, you should be well on your way when you go on the wood run, as you’re going to need a ton of wood to keep the fire going, so a chicken or two might be a better choice for your first time, as it’ll cook quicker and use less wood.
>>
File: Fuck all of this.webm (329 KB, 500x276) Image search: [Google]
Fuck all of this.webm
329 KB, 500x276
>>7474503
>grab a weapon
>go kill whatever small critter you first come across
>put it's carcass on a stick
>roast over fire

Required ingredients are one(1) small animal and one(1) stick.
>>
Make burritos, freeze, heat it up on a skillet and you are done
>>
File: Untitled.png (12 KB, 825x594) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
12 KB, 825x594
>>7474683
Subterranean turkey makes it sound like a separate subspecies that lives deep in caves, why the fuck did this make me laugh so much?
>>
>>7474503
Buy a flat pack portable oven for the backpack, some dude on the YouTube made pizza on the trail using one.
>>
>>7478258
You can make pizza with a pan and totillas
>>
>>7474503
>make a fire
>Wrap shit up in alfoil
>Jam it in the embers
>Profit
>>
>>7474503
I usually end up making a lot of soups since all you really need is some vegetables and maybe some bouillon cubes if you feel like it. Oh and if you don't might a little extra weight remember that cooking oils don't require refrigeration. Just don't be that idiot that lugs a giant glass jar of oil because it will break and it will ruin your gear.

Summer sausage is also nice to take along since it doesn't need to be refrigerated until you cut into it. Lets you have something with meat in it after the first or second night. Same thing with goes with jerky,
>>
Say I cook a steak at home, and put it in a ziploc bag, how long does it lasts? Can I eat it at night camp after say 8 hours on my rucksack?
>>
>>7478623
Get top round roast, slice it very thin, marinate in teriyaki for a couple hours. Dry it off completely before baking for 4-6 hours on 175°. Make sure all the moisture is out of it and you have jerky that will last for days.

Doing steak your way would be terrible, and if you do it any less then extremely well done, will start breeding bacteria immediately.
>>
>>7478633
So, no.

btw it's problably cheaper and convenient to just buy jerky.

Anyway, I'm missing half my teeth and tooth so I'm unable to process jerky. Can I do that with burgers?
>>
>>7478667
Jerky is like $30-$40 per pound if you buy the mass produced shit, so no. It's not really much effort, and worth the time to make a couple pounds if there is a group of people.

Never tried burger meat, so I couldn't say, but seems doubtful. Take jerky and grind it up in a food processor and shred it up like chewing tobacco, that might work for you.

Really the key with curing / smoking meat is getting rid of all the moisture. If moisture is trapped inside, then you get bacteria.
>>
>>7478743

Umm where do you buy your Jerky.

I can get a 10 oz bag for 8.99$ on sale. $11.99 when not.

Either way that's 1 pound 4 oz's for ~$20
>>
File: eat.jpg (1 MB, 2000x1500) Image search: [Google]
eat.jpg
1 MB, 2000x1500
>>7478623
>>7478633

yo yo hol' up fuk yo jerky, biltong is where its at. dunno where you live but u might be able to find some nice stuff or make it urself its pretty easy, ill find a vid in a minute just had to stop all this jerky crap
>>
>>7478803
Where do you get it that cheap?
>>
>>7478811
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MOMeyrJ-QI

czech'd btw
>>
>>7478811
>biltong
>jerky
Same fucking thing, Sheila.
>>
File: PlatosCave[1].gif (54 KB, 600x330) Image search: [Google]
PlatosCave[1].gif
54 KB, 600x330
>>7477896
>>
>>7478825
nu uh uh baka neko biltong is hundreds of times better
>>
>>7478822

Mills Fleet Farm. I live in WI.
>>
>>7474622
We did this in the Boy Scouts. It works out okay except the whole thing kind of steams instead of charring.
>>
>>7474622
Don't forget cheese, and spread a layer of bisquik on the foil.
>>
File: IMG_20130918_145857.jpg (1 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20130918_145857.jpg
1 MB, 2448x3264
>>7474683

I've done this a pretty large number of times and I just use foil. That paper you mentioned is totally unnecessary.
>>
File: IMG_20130918_134428.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20130918_134428.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>7479106

Then the fire pits.
>>
>bring lemons and herbs
>catch fish
>clean fish
>stuff fish
>cook fish
>eat fish
>>
>>7478824
>That accent

Comfy as fuck. Could watch al day
>>
>>7479128
And what if the fish are not biting? Gonna go hunting a subterranean turkey?

No man, you have to bring everything with you when you are camping. Can't trust in nature. Nature hates your guts fyi
>>
>>7474784
Skin/pluck it first, r-right anon?
>>
>>7479375
>can't trust in nature
/out/ would hate you. some of them guys go out with the bare essentials and just see how long they can stay out there.
>>
>>7479872
Lol no. My fella sc/out/s know that it's you the only responsible for surviving. The ones that love nature and believe that nature loves them back keep their circlejerk at /an/
>>
>>7478825
No.
>>
Camping favorites:
Dried apricots
Cashews or your favorite nut
Bialetti espresso machine... great for camping

Make a huge fucking pan of lasagna, freeze it hard as a rock. Get to where you're going, set up a grid or rock near your fire, let it thaw and heat up... many very happy campers

Fried chicken. Great picnic food.

Pancakes are really easy. Mix up your dry ingredients in a big ziplock bag, add your wet ingredients and squish it to mix.

Chocolate. Oranges. If you don't mind toting the weight, a Dutch oven is a fantastic tool. So is a propane stove with a Lodge cast iron griddle. Breakfast burritos are super easy, prepare bacon ahead of time. Scramble some eggs, heat up some refried beans, add a strip of bacon, wrap it up with some cheese... bewm. Really delicious.

I'd avoid MREs and freeze-dried foods unless you're mountain climbing or something. They lock up your bowels something fierce.
>>
File: images.jpg (76 KB, 690x445) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
76 KB, 690x445
>>7474683
Congratulations you invented a hangi
>>
>>7474503
Bump
>>
>>7474503
Take an apple. Find some clean dirt.Add water to dirt and make it into mud. Pack on mud to the Apple till it's about a quarter of an inch thick. Put near coals for about 5-10 min. Scrape off mud and eat. Enjoy!
>>
>>7480013
>Bialetti espresso machine

They are available in very tiny sizes, but easier than that is to just make cowboy coffe as described previouslly by anon in this thread

>>7480809
This cooking method is one of the greatest. Everyone shoud try it at least once. Look for "curanto" if you like seafood, or go for subterranean turkey or pork roast if you don't.

>>7482918
thanks for bumping my thread man

>>7482988
Now this is new. Never heard of that. Thanks for sharing
>>
>>7479872
Nature fucking hates you bro, trust me.
>>
Get some retort pouch instant curry and a pouch of instant rice. Don't have to worry about shelf life and it's easy as shit to prepare

Boil them both in the packs over a fire, then put on plate for curry rice. Bam, now yous get to be super sugoi while on the trail!
Do some shrooms and stare at trees while you eat and you're good to go
>>
>>7479128

Fish was always our Plan A when camping. Some days you get lucky, others you end up eating freeze dried meals instead.
>>
>>7483123
anime curry best curry
>>
>>7474503
Just field strip some civilian MRE's and put'em in your pack.
>>
ramen + egg
>>
>>7474503
Take Sausages, seasoned flour to make damper (take light pan or tin foil), buns smoked chicken and coleslaw (separate) for filled rolls, bake potatoes in tin foil (bring some butter).
Heard about one guy who took ice cream in a dry ice insulated consider on a walk in Australia
>>
Why not just take stewing beef, few spuds, a carrot, an onion and some chopped cabbage and make a lovely stew over a campfire during the first night.

I guess you could use dried beef to do something similar on day 2 or 3.

Also any type of smoked sausages are an excellent choice as they keep quite well, especially if they are vacum sealed.
>>
Powdered mashed potatoes, powdered sauce (bernaise or something), dried soy mince, dried roasted onions, dried garlic, salt. Works well on a hike or as a backup in anons locker at work. Tastier and much cheaper than store bought dried hiking food. All ingredient purchased, not home dried.
>>
>>7486355
I do this all the time, if it's just an overnight trip there's no reason to pack noodles when you can make a healthy stew or soup with just a couple of extra pounds to carry with you. Even if you are staying 2 or 3 nights out. More than that those two pounds need to be replaced with carbs for maintainance cals.
>>
Do any of you guys has experience with powdered eggs? I've read that they taste like absolute shit.
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.