[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /ck/, I just tried making mozzarella for the first time
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: mozzarella.jpg (7 KB, 342x250) Image search: [Google]
mozzarella.jpg
7 KB, 342x250
Hey /ck/, I just tried making mozzarella for the first time and failed spectacularly, I kinda guestimated the temperature of the milk to be about 50 degrees, because that's what I read the temperature should be when you add the acidic component, and added the juice of a lemon. That began the milk curdle, and then I heated it up to about 90 degrees, added the rennet mixed with bottled water, stirred it, and let it sit, to achieve a "clean break." I come back a half hour later, and it's still watery, so I add more rennet and let it sit, came back 2 hours later and it's a watery mess. Any cheesemakers on /ck/ know what the fuck I did wrong?

A friend of mine used the same brand of milk I did, and got some results, she didn't add enough lemon juice so it didn't stretch enough, but she got farther than I did.

Here's the guide I used:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Great-Mozzarella-Cheese/
>>
I respect that you are trying to get some experience in cheese making.

But it's not like you will get a better result than what you can buy in the store. Especially since you probably don't have any italian breed buffalo milk arround.
>>
>>7472645

My guess is that you failed because you guessed the temperatures instead of using a thermometer.
>>
Why would you make something that's cheap and widely available anyway, instead of something that's harder to come by? Makes no sense at all.
>>
>>7473252

I'm not the guy you're replying to, but I make my own mozzarella because it's a) super easy and b) it's hard to get FRESH mozz. Yeah most supermarkets sell it, but it's days if not weeks old. You can't beat the taste and texture of mozzarella that was made the same day you're going to eat it.
>>
>>7473277
There is no difference whatsoever in taste or texture. You're delusional and wasting time and money.
>>
>>7473280
>There is no difference whatsoever in taste or texture.

Cool story bro.

>>You're delusional and wasting time and money.

Nah, I enjoy it. It's a hobby. Makes a nice change from the stress of the workday. It's also cheaper than buying mozzarella from the supermarket.
>>
>>7473284
I guarantee you that it's not cheaper and that your calculations are wrong. Milk bought at store prices does not contain enough casein and fat to produce cheese at store prices. Most of the cost of milk is logistics because you're buying mostly water.
>>
>>7473297

I don't buy milk at the supermarket, anon. I get it from my neighbor down the road who owns dairy cows (among other things). She gets to borrow my backhoe whenever she needs it, an in turn I get free eggs and milk.
>>
>>7473327
Well you phrased it as if it was a general statement. Of course it's cheaper if you don't have to pay for the ingredients you fucking idiot. That's like saying free milk is cheaper than milk you have to pay for. What an atrocious thread.
>>
>>7473252
>>7473280
>>7473297
>STOP COOKING
>JUST BUY YOUR FUCKING MOZZARELLA
>JUST DO IT YOU FUCKING KEK STOP TRYING TO DO IT HOMEMADE

Why are you even here?
>>
>>7473339
>Well you phrased it as if it was a general statement

No, I replied to your accusation that I was wasting time and money. I didn't mention price until you brought it up.
>>
>>7473246
Definitely this. I had the same problem op and then after I finally made a good batch I realized that it's a waste of time and money when it pretty much tastes exactly the same.
>>
OP here, waiting for physical therapy appointment. I used a janky candy thermometer that's pretty good for making yogurt, but yogurt is a more simple matter. And to answer some questions, I'm trying to do it because A. I'm curious to see if there's actually a taste difference, and
B. I like trying to learn new things and I've been wanting to get into cheesemaking awhile
>>
Man fuck all you faggots being unhelpful. I'm going to give you some resources that should help you out a bit OP because somebody on /ck/ should actually do something food related instead of shitposting.

https://www.cheesemaking.com/howtomakemozzarellacheese.html

Book:
https://kat.cr/artisan-cheese-making-at-home-techniques-and-recipes-for-mastering-world-class-cheese-karlin-epub-slender-t9112929.html

Podcast:
https://www.littlegreencheese.com/podcast
>>
>>7473339
>anon starts talking shit about something he doesn't know about
>gets politely responded to
>insists on being a dick
>gets politely btfo
>"you're an idiot and this thread sucks"

Never change
>>
>>7474070

OP here, thanks. I'll probably try it again next week. Probably join forces with the friend who got farther than me.
>>
>>7475092
Good luck. Post results if it turns out good.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.