[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What can I make with a can of these? I like fresh beets grated
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: 118015.jpg (32 KB, 460x460) Image search: [Google]
118015.jpg
32 KB, 460x460
What can I make with a can of these? I like fresh beets grated in a salad, or sliced for borscht, but I've never tried canned ones.
>>
>>7472629
canned vegetables are generally good for fertilizer
except for canned corn; that stuff is tasty
>>
>>7472652
I want to refute your post, but tomatoes are fruits, and artichokes come in jars.
>>
>>7472686
P much this is all I use. Ill also admit some asparagus looks okay but I dont like that vegetable.

I can see potatoes and corn as viable when things are super rough but pricewise its prob cheaper to buy a sack of potatoes.

Also lots of beans/cabbage sometimes? I dunno if beans count and I dont use cabbage.
>>
>>7472629
Sewage
>>
>>7472652
Canned corn is awful. Frozen corn is superior in all regards.
>>
>>7472686
Oh you. I do like some canned fruits, though, especially if canned in juice, though water's okay and syrup'll do in a pinch. Pineapple canned in its own juice is surprisingly good. Try it.

>>7472652
The only veg I buy in cans are beetroot, peas and tomatoes. Beetroot because I eat them as a salad. Like... on their own. Just a tin of sliced beets, drained of their liquids (reserved for other uses) and dressed with lots of salt and a little garlic and vinegar.
Peas because reasons and tomatoes because they're often better from a can than they are fresh.

>>7473813
This.
>>
>>7472629
slice and pickle them
>>
Ay lmer
>>
>>7473837
meh, canned peas are usually mushy, I'll take frozen peas thank you very much
>>
>>7473850
>canned are mushy
Well, yeah. That's kinda the point for me.

I use frozen or fresh peas for most applications.
Canned peas, however, I use for one specific dish, "easter" peas, which is like the medshit version of mushy peas. It's supposed to be made with overcooked fresh (or frozen) peas, but that's basically what canned peas are, anyway, so I use them instead.

Bacon, chopped, 2-4 slices
Onion, chopped, 1 medium
Oil, 1tsp
Peas, 2 cans (drained)
Eggs, 1-2
Salt, to taste

Put bacon, onions and oil in a sauce pan and set to high heat.
When sizzling audibly, lower the flame to very low so that the bacon renders out lots of its grease.
Add the peas to the pan, set to high heat and whip.
Little by little, whip the pea-mixture into the egg until about half of it has been added then off the heat.
Add all the pea-and-egg mixture to the pan, whipping quickly to cook through and create some volume.
Serve as a side dish to roast lamb and rosemary potatoes.
>>
>>7473837
So I should try making a salad out of them, eh? It sounds all right. Do you just use white vinegar?
>>
>>7474481
By 'white vinegar,' you mean distilled and not white wine, have I got that right?

Most sorts of not-too-strong vinegars are fine. I wouldn't recommend cane vinegar or coconut vinegar, for example, but apple cider (or apple or pear) vinegar is perfect. Distilled vinegar and malt vinegar are also too strong, IMO and balsamic vinegars have too much going on.
I use either apple, champagne/white wine or honey vinegar, whichever I have more of at the time (excepting distilled, I always keep at least a half dozen different vinegars because I'm mad for the stuff).
>>
>>7474505
Looking it up, it seems honey vinegar isn't a thing outside of my country and only a couple others, so I'll say that if you ever get the chance to try some honey vinegar, you really should. It's delicious. It's not useful for cooking, though, as its aroma and subtle honey taste will dissipate with heat, so if you ever buy any, use it only as a condiment or for cold-pickling.
>>
Just put some in a bowl with whatever else you like?
>>
File: superlative laugh.jpg (180 KB, 517x768) Image search: [Google]
superlative laugh.jpg
180 KB, 517x768
>>7473846

I laughed more than I should've, damn you anon
>>
>>7472629
Hamburger.
>>
Drain, dress with balsamic, quarter than toss with roquette and mint, crumble goats cheese and wa la
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.