[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is pho the new hipster meme food?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 1
File: 812412433.jpg (138 KB, 429x572) Image search: [Google]
812412433.jpg
138 KB, 429x572
Is pho the new hipster meme food?
>>
That depends on what you consider to be new.
>>
>>7471602
Fuck off with these meme threads.
>>
I was eating phuh way before it was mainstream.
>>
>>7471602
yes it is
>>
>new
It was the hipster meme food in 2013. Flyover?
>>
>>7471602
Yeah, for at least five years now.
>>
>>7471602
>new

spotted the flyover resident
>>
Reminds me of how rich people will name their kids certain names only for poorer people to name their kids those names years later.

Kind of like Madison. It was a fairly wasp-y name and then white trash completely took it over.
>>
>>7472048
Heh. There are black kids named Aiden now. I have a friend in SoCal that named her kid Aiden like 15 years ago before it was popular.

But back to pho, yeah, it was a meme for a while. I just saw a new Vietnamese noodle place open up Downtown in my city.
>>
it has been around for a while OP, you just never heard of it
>>
>>7471602
It's it only just now being served in flyover country?
>>
idk. these fuckin places were everywhere when i lived i SJ. pretty gud hangover food desu
>>
>>7472071

Eh, I don't mind Pho places opening up.

At my place, Pho is only like 7-9 bucks for a large bowl, so it's great to go during lunch breaks.
>>
>>7471602
like 4 years ago maybe
>>
>>7471602
can you make pho with ramen noodles? What spices are absolutelly required to obtain the pho flavour and how can I replace them with non asian stuff?
>>
>Vietnamese here run sushi places and pan-asian/chinese eateries
>White hipsters open a bunch of pho and banh mi places
The world sure is weird.
>>
>>7472373
There's some place near me that does laksa with crispy skin duck and lemme tell you nigga it has cured every hangover I've ever had, all the spicy coconut broth gets between the meat and the skin and when you bite through it the juice explodes in your mouth, hnnnnnnnnnng it's almost worth being hungover for
>>
>>7472765
it was cool ten years ago
>>
I feel that Pho was at the height of it's hipness a year or two ago
Right now, African is the hip cuisine.
>>
>>7473068
>can you make pho with ramen noodles?

Pho is made with rice noodles, not wheat based like Ramen.

>>What spices are absolutelly required to obtain the pho flavour and how can I replace them with non asian stuff?

It's not so much the seasonings as it is the broth, which takes hours to cook. But since you asked, the common seasonings are cassia (cinnamon), star anise, burnt onion (yes, literally burnt).

>>replace them with non-asian stuff
Do you want pho or not? It's not as if any of the things called for are hard to find.
>>
>>7473174
Thanks for your answer. I've seen tons of recipes but never saw one using burnt onions. Is there any that you would recommend? I think I'll give it a serious try.
>>
You missed the boat op. Back in 2012 1/3 of the threads here were about pho and bahn mi.
>>
>>7473544

I do have a recipe which I got from a vietnamese language video on youtube and then had a co-worker translate for me. I don't have it on me, but it's basically:

-soak beef bones in several changes of cold water. ideally you want to use leg bones, especially with the joints. rib bones don't yield as much gelatin so the stock won't be as rich.
-put the bones in a pot, add some water to cover, then simmer for 10 minutes. Discard the water and rinse the bones clean. this gets rid of any remaining blood and makes for a much cleaner (and better looking) broth.
-cut onion in half and char the cut surfaces on a grill or under the broiler. you want them seriously blackened (carbonized) not just "browned".
-put the bones back in a pot with the onion, star anise, and a cinnamon stick. bring to a gentle simmer and maintain for hours. skim off any scum as it accumulates.

I suggest making the stock in a big batch, portioning it up, and freezing any leftovers. That way you can enjoy pho with minimal work.

Cook the noodles (rice vermicelli) according to the package directions, then place the cooked noodles in a bowl of broth and add whatever toppings/meats you like.

You'd want to serve this with an assortment of fresh veggies. There are various viet herbs that are traditional but they can be hard to find unless you have an Asian market nearby. If you do, great. If you don't you can get by with thinly sliced shallots, some lime wedges, and cilantro as a bare minimum. The idea with the veggies is to add contrasting texture to the soup.

some pretty good info here:
http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/09/the-food-lab-how-to-make-traditional-vietnamese-pho.html
>>
>>7473642
I'll try it this weekend. The only thing I'm going to change is the cooking time, because I'm going to use a pressure cooker.

Thanks man, really appreciate it.
>>
>>7472027
>It was the hipster meme food in 2013. Flyover?
Try 2003. Where have you been?
>>
This thread is great.

My favorite cringe is Jew Yorkers who think they are "trendsetters". This thread is full of those pretentious twats.

If I had to live in Cuckville I would probably seek validation for my life also.
>>
>>7473753

No prob. I normally cook the broth for 8-9 hours in an ordinary pot. With a pressure cooker you'd probably be looking at around 2-3 hours instead.
>>
>>7473068
>can you make pho with ramen noodles? What spices are absolutelly required to obtain the pho flavour and how can I replace them with non asian stuff?
I have...
beef amen.
Use the packet, dump on top of dry noodles, water to cover. Pinch of allspice (or anise), cinnamon, coriander, cardamom. Cover in paper thin onion slices. Nuke 6 minutes at 50% power.
I keep a sirloin in the freezer, slice off a few inches with knife. Layer on top of noodles when steaming hot. Microwave another 1min on high.
If you have some green or red fresh chilies, slice on top too. Squirt your fish sauce, sriracha, or hoisin as you wish, since they are pantry items that keep. I pretty much don't attempt this without some cilantro and limes onhand, but you could. Basil is the ultimate luxury. I can keep a plant alive about 3 months before it gets too woody.
>>
>>7473769
calm down kiddo *
>>
>>7473777

I am calm.

I just kek hard at "oh I ate this X many years ago, fly over".

Pretentious and ridiculous as fuck. It's OK Jew York, you say us Midwesterners entertain you. It's a 2 way street you silly Jew.
>>
>>7473769
I'll have to agree with this. Very strange that they hype to shit things that were on the West Coast decades ago.
>>
>>7473913
West Coast sets the trends that the rest of America follows later.
It's just the way it is.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.