[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Making your own butter. Delicious or pretentious? Have you
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 1
File: 4743563956_edc070d6c9_b1.jpg (36 KB, 400x317) Image search: [Google]
4743563956_edc070d6c9_b1.jpg
36 KB, 400x317
Making your own butter.

Delicious or pretentious?

Have you ever added extra things for flavor?
>>
>>7470889
Delicious, just like making anything else yourself.
>>
>>7470889
>Have you ever added extra things for flavor?

My wife's bull's semen
>>
>>7470889

this is what we do at work:

we make creme fraiche, which is just 1 fallon of cream with 1/2 cup of buttermilk whisked in and left to sit out at room temperature for two days.

then, to make butter, we take 1/3 cup of creme fraiche and whisk it in to a gallon of cream and let it sit out for two days. then we take the cultured butter and put it in the food processor in smaller batches until the solids separate from the buttermilk, then squeeze out the remaining buttermilk by hand with cheesecloth.
>>
>>7470889
not exactly related but room temp brie makes an excellent butter substitute
>>
>>7470899
>>
My whole 3rd grade class made butter together by pouring double cream into a clean jar with a clean marble and lidding it tightly with each of us taking turns shaking the everloving fuck out of it until butter was made.
We spread it on corn pone.
>>
>>7470900
what's the difference between doing this and making "cultured" butter and just shakin a jar and making regular butter?
>>
>>7471402
Were you reading the Laura Ingles books??? Learning about life on the Prairie?
>>
>>7471552
The marble helps to agitate it. Same thing as those thingys in protein shake shakers.
>>
>>7471402
That sounds nice. Was it a plastic jar? Shaking a marble in a glass jar would surely shatter it, right?
>>
>>7470889
Delicious, but a pain in the ass
>>
>>7471599
>Shaking a marble in a glass jar would surely shatter it, right?

No.
>>
>>7471573
Wash on Monday, iron on Tuesday...
>>
>>7471552

the taste, mainly. it has a better flavor and i think the yield is higher as well.
>>
hardly economical.
>>
quick recipe to do this?
>>
>>7472467

get milk
make butter
>>
>>7472467
1) aquire heavy whipping cream
2) whip
3) butter
>>
Can you do cultured butter with regular cream off the store shelf, or is there an issue with the way the cream is processed?
>>
>>7472467
>Buy a clean resealable pint sized paint can
>Fit 3/4 full with buttermilk
>Go to Home Depot and ask them to mix it for you

Butter.
>>
>>7473270
Derp, Heavy cream, not buttermilk.
>>
>>7470889
>no source of local milk
>all store milk and cream won't make butter no matter how much you shake them

10 years ago I used to make a pound of butter and a thing of orange sorbet a week. Now, nothing.

>Delicious or pretentious?

Delicious.

>Have you ever added extra things for flavor?

Salt
Fresh Extruded Garlic
Roasted Garlic
Pumpkin Pie Spice
Chives
Roasted Red Pepper
Blackberries
Raspberries
Ground Fried Bacon

Some by themselves and some in combination with others.

>>7472467
Buy heavy whipping cream, preferably the kind that does not have carrageenan in it as it doesn't like to make butter. Put the milk in a jar, about 3/4ths full. Shake and shake some more. It should start to clump up into butter in about 30 seconds to 5 minutes depending on several factors.

The easiest way to do it is to attach the container to something that spins. Then flip it end over end slow enough that the milk will fall to the bottom with each turn. This is the best way to make multiple gallon batches.

I've known some people to use a can and a pain shaker.

What ever you do, DON'T "whip" it. That will only make whipped cream due to the inclusion of air.
>>
>>7473194
>Can you do cultured butter with regular cream off the store shelf, or is there an issue with the way the cream is processed?
Since butter is butterfat, you want to use heavy cream.
The only issue you could face is if you bought dairy coffee creamer version of light cream (it's one of your 4 choices to buy), since it usually has a touch of pH stabilizer added to keep the fat from coagulation such as Disodium Phosphate. Stick with heavy for the most fat content, and therefore more butter.

I don't think fresh butter is better than storebought make it yourself butter, however. Flavor with butter is from the flavor within the milk used, really. And milk flavor has to do with cow diet. The green grasses irish cows munch on makes a yellow rich and flavorful butter. Storing it well, such as brands that use foil, protects it from fridge flavors and keeps it fresher longer. And flavoring butter is easy with storebought after the fact. Simply leave it to soften and fold it in, or whip it in a processor. Roll it up in a tube to slice into disks. When you have some amazing herbs on hand, or want to sweeten a butter with honey like orange blossom, or a combination of honey and citrus zest, toasted nuts like hazelnuts, delicious amber maple.
Favorites include the butter to grace a grilled steak, parsley, blue cheese, worchestershire, raw garlic, lots of cracked pepper. I might also hit some rolls with it, kind of a savory herbal take on garlic rolls.
>>
>>7471599
Glass is tough if thick and tempered.
>>
>>7471573
Yes. The school I went to had a system wherein many lessons for the year are themed around something and that year it was pioneer life and First Nations/Native American culture. We read half of her books. They were Big Woods, Prairie, Plum Creek and Silver Lake.

For the end-of-year party, we made the butter and the corn pone in the school kitchen as well as some succotash. The teacher brought in wild rice and buffalo wings because wild rice is a First Nations traditional crop. And buffalo wings because buffalo.

>>7471599
At first, I was gonna say that I'm pretty sure we used a plastic jar, but now that I'm thinking of it, I remembered two things that almost certainly means it was glass.
First, it was a Mason jar. You know: with the two-piece caps. And I don't think they come in plastic.
Secondly, I remember the unmistakable sound of glass hitting glass with each shake of the jar.
>>
>>7470901
>brie
but it's so expensive
>>
>>7470889

It's like 3$ for 4 sticks of butter.

So, yeah it's pretentious. Something someone would do just to talk about doing it. And be boring.
>>
We made it in school when we were 8-9. I remember it clearly because the teacher only brought brown bread and half the class refused to eat it
>>
>>7470889
Buy the butter, make the bread
>>
>>7473703
Right?
No one just makes stuff for their own personal enjoyment anymore.
>>
>>7473698
it's a little pricey but not to bad if you're not buying a big wheel, you can get a log about the size of a stick of butter for three bucks, it's not an everyday thing but it makes a nice treat on occasion
>>
>>7473868

Then make it. And shut the fuck up about it.
>>
>>7473930
wew lad
>>
>>7473930
You perturbed m8?
>>
>>7473930
Have you forgotten that this is /ck/? People make things and talk about it all the time.
>>
>>7473941
>>7473945
>>7473946

Ergo pretentious.
>>
>>7473951
>whirlpool activate
>>
>>7473951
Yes, it's pretentious to be knowledgeable and know how to make things. I'm glad you cleared that up.
>>
>>7473954

Earth, wind, fire, heart. Our power combined!
>>
>>7473960
I find it funny when you meet doomsday preppers that think like that. they have no clue how to do or make things for themselves and just lay in canned supplies, mres, and shit like that with no plan as to how they're going to survive when their supplies run out. my plan for the end of civilization is simply to make my way to amish country. the collapse of moderns society shouldn't have much effect on them
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.