[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Redpill me on how to make a tomato sauce that doesn't suck, /ck/.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (196 KB, 1540x1046) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
196 KB, 1540x1046
Redpill me on how to make a tomato sauce that doesn't suck, /ck/.
>>
I would, but you just used retarded /pol/speak, so fuck off.
>>
File: 19Zq6L2.jpg (44 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
19Zq6L2.jpg
44 KB, 500x375
>red pill
>tomato sauce

o u
>>
>>7470357

TEN FEET HIGHER
>>
>>7470357
I'm shitposting ironically and you weren't going to give me shit you lil shit
>>
>classic image.jpg
>>
I wouldn't say there is a recipe rather than just to cook the ingredients here are some things though...

Depending on where you live the use of fresh tomato is maybe not advisable. The quality varies widely when in Italy this far more viable, I am in the UK right now and sometimes I try but for the most part I don't think it is worth it.

I usually use a smooth passata and a tin of peeled plum tomatoes, this is better for me right now anyway as its a bit quicker. The combination is best imo for some texture but the tin is usually not strong enough.

Some recipes call for the use of onion i not personally like or advice this as much without. Garlic is fine i recommend this.

In terms of herb I would say basil is the most natural for this if you don't want to spend money sure use some dried mix, its cheap to have a plant in the kitchen though...

You want to use olive oil (extravergine if you can).

I don't like pepper much in this sauce but some do.

Remember to use salt, and not be afraid of sugar! Sometimes you might mess up and need some wine vinegar, hopefully not. Either way you may certainly need to balance your sauce with these things.
>>
>>7470371

no, that would be paul dano's red sauce ya goofball
>>
Hey /ck/ redpill me on why casually replacing "teach" with "redpill" isn't the cuckiest thing I've seen all day.
>>
File: ironic_shitposting.png (130 KB, 534x400) Image search: [Google]
ironic_shitposting.png
130 KB, 534x400
>>7470368
>>
>>7470380
>You want to use olive oil (extravergine if you can).

canola oil is fine too
it is the oil that has all the flavour
>>
Oven it:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/09/the-food-lab-use-the-oven-to-make-the-best-darned-italian-american-red-sauce-ever-recipe.html
>>
>>7470380
this is what i was looking for, thanks.

>>7470454
>taking that cuck's authority on anything
>>
>>7470354
Really comes down to the quality and type of tomatoes you use. If you can't get very good tomatoes, don't even bother--just buy a decent jarred sauce and go to town.
>>
Tomato sauce is like mash potato. It's incredibly subjective. Whatever you grew up on is likely to be the best
>>
>>7470463
That was a great article thanks, I can't wait to try that
>>
>>7471243
>ragu/and or prego

Yeah, no.
>>
I like this recipe, OP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDGqtjcyxlQ
>>
>>7471243
You can say that about any food.
>>
>>7471275
impressive knife skills desu
>>
>>7470463
I was waiting for the meat. How can you have your Sunday gravy without the meat?
>>
>>7470354
Moar pepper flavor.

Cayenne is best but you can use some chili powder if you are a faggot

Moar garlic. Shit is magic.
Moar basil. All the basil
A splash or two of red wine. Don't overdo it.
A pinch more Italian herbs than you probably use.

Sometimes I take a couple cloves of garlic and cut them in half, and let the chunks soak into the sauce overtime.

Caramelized onion are how you should always start your sauce off. Add the garlic a min or so later because it burns faster,
>>
>>7471349
Hmm, I always use white wine in mine. Does it matter?
>>
>>7471386
If you like it with white wine then use white wine.
>>
>>7471394
honestly I don't even know if the wine makes a difference.
>>
>>7471430
I've used red wine in red sauce. I don't recommend this. it won't be terrible, but you really do notice it. you shouldn't notice it. it's like salt. it should have a supporting role. if you notice it, you fucked up.
>>
>>7470454
Would do you good to read that post 2bh
>>
>>7470354

>Not listening to Chef John

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP9doLye26I
>>
>>7471436

You use wine to deglaze, and then cook off the alcohol before adding the other liquid ingredients.

It definitely makes a difference, and can obviously be left out if you prefer, but it sounds like you fudged that step.
>>
>>7471471
do you actually know what "deglaze" means, senpai? because it doesn't sound like you do.
>>
>>7471487

>he doesn't brown his veggies first to create a delicious fond for his sauce
>>
>>7471493
>I'm ignorant about food and I'm going to cover it up by "ironically" greentexting
>>
File: 1412831034105.png (55 KB, 367x360) Image search: [Google]
1412831034105.png
55 KB, 367x360
>>7470368
Pic related.
It's OP
>>
>>7470354
watch the Godfather
>>
>>7471498

Or you could just explain why you're right, and what you're even right about, instead of shitposting back and forth...
>>
>>7471530
you started it

the point is just because you burned off the ethanol doesn't make the stuff that makes red wine taste like red wine magically go away

like I said it's not going to ruin the sauce or anything, but you can definitely detect hints of those "red wine" flavors when you do that. white matches the flavor of tomatoes a lot better.
>>
>>7471543
>>7471530
Actually I just realized I'm now going to get a fully autistic lecture about how wine doesn't have enough alcohol to ignite and therefore I'm wrong and there's no difference and nice things are a scam

It's fine, you win. I'm going to go watch Netflix
>>
Pour one can of Campbells tomato BISQUE soup into a sauce pan. Fill empty can 3/4 with milk & add to sauce pan. Chop up some fresh parsley also add. Heat pan on medium low for twenty minutes.

Season to taste. Parmesan is your friend.
>>
get Elizabeth David for recipes of basic Mediterranean dishes
start with a sofrito, add tomatoes, and then just cook the hell out of it for 3 hours (add stock, basic seasoning, a little balsamic vinegar)
then taste and add sugar/salt/pepper as required

i've found that liquidising this to make it super smooth somehow ruins it
if you're adding meatballs or any kind of meat, it will taste better
>>
>>7471551

You don't need to flambe it to cook off the alcohol.
>>
>>7470354
don't forget the vegetable stock pot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEIjkr4QPFs
>>
>>7471293
>tomato sauce
>sunday gravy
??????????
>>
slow and steady

or just use msg if you want to cheat like me
>>
Lots of non-advice ITT, this is how I do it now:

>Sweat onion in a large pot.
>Add whole fresh tomatoes (and garlic if you like)
>Caramelise the tomato a little, wait for it to break down to mush and reduce a bit.
>Blend that shit.
>If you want wine in it add it to the empty pot and boil off the alcohol.
>Add the blend back to the pot.
>Add any other ingredients you like (extra tomato paste, halved cherry tomatoes, s&p, herbs/spices etc. Basil I prefer to add just before serving).
>Simmer

There are lots of ways to skin this cat.
>>
>>7470380

To follow from earlier i don't believe this is always best advice it sounds like "Italian" American or American way to try and make this.

>>7471349

why would you use cayenne or chilli this is a different sauce ... It isn't right.

basil is fine and garlic but to your taste not more than is needed

Wine is complicating it. What does it add? in some other famous dishes like napoletano or bolognese i think this is more important because of the meat and really long cooking. Other factors are involved I think this is an unnecessary thing

Why would you start the sauce with onion, "onion" is not always how sauce should be started regardless in these sauces it is not normal for it be in at all. Though preparation of the garlic is good in that way, i usually have in big chunks and eat when i serve.
>>
>>7471626

in above i meant this

>>7471626
>>7471626

was me originally
>>
>>7470354

Personally, I like to caramelize the onions and garlic, then add a tablespoon or so of balsamic vinegar.
>>
>>7471620

I do similarly, except I add tomatoes first on higher heat to blacken slightly, reduce, and then add the onion and some thinly sliced mushrooms with canola oil to the same pot and let it caramelize. Add the garlic, and cook until just browned. Deglaze with red wine, then add water, a couple thinly diced carrots and celery. Let it boil until the carrots are easily mashed. Blend the mixture while adding tomato paste. Season with basil or other herbs, and let it reduce to desired thickness.
>>
>>7471626
Tomatoes contain flavor compounds that can't be transferred to the human palette except when in the presence of alcohol. Wine is a necessity.
>>
>>7471706
No this is not true and is represented in the fact that it is the standard for these sauces
>>
>>7470453
its a meme you dip
>>
Start with four cans of Contadina's. You can then be confident in the salt content.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.