[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
GENERAL TSO'S CHICKEN
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 10
File: generaltsochicken.jpg (608 KB, 2241x1640) Image search: [Google]
generaltsochicken.jpg
608 KB, 2241x1640
When I make a meal for the first time, in this case General Tso's Chicken, I like to start off with the bare essential ingredients. I like to start off minimalistic, get the dish right, and then expand with more ingredients when making it again.

As far as I know, I need:

chicken
flour
eggs
breadcrumbs
soy sauce
hoisin sauce
water
cornstarch
vinegar
garlic
red peppers
sesame oil

The chicken is coated with flour, eggs and breadcrumbs. This is cooked until it looks like chicken nuggets. Garlic and red peppers are added to hot sesame oil in a skillet. Sauce is made with soy sauce, hoisin sauce, water, cornstarch and some kind of vinegar. The sauce is added to the skillet. Sauce is simmered until it thickens and then the chicken is added and simmered for a bit.

I have no idea about the amount of ingredients I need but I need help in making this minimalistic so that I can get it right the first time and expand from there.
>>
>>7464699
nice blog
>>
>>7464722
>talking about food & cooking on the food & cooking board is forbidden!
>>
>>7464699
I prefer ja/ck/s chicken
>>
I wonder what the original Taiwanese version is like. Just for comparison.
>>
>>7464722
>someone uses the board for its actual intent
>you shit on it because he's not discussing his favourite meal to get at McDonald's or posting dank memes

>>>/out/
>>
>>7464722
Please look up the recipe for a noose, make it, tie the other end to your rafters, stick your head in it, and kick the chair out from under you.
>>
>>7464746
If you just make the sauce without the sugar it'll probably be pretty close.
>>
>>7464699
>eggs
no
>breadcrumbs
no
>hoisin sauce
no

look at the serious eats recipe for general tso's if you are serious about trying to replicate it
>>
File: 1438985512509.jpg (73 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1438985512509.jpg
73 KB, 500x500
that was a needlessly verbose way to ask for a recipe
>>
You forgot Shaoxing wine.

A key ingredient.
>>
File: lg-chilli-oil[1].jpg (59 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
lg-chilli-oil[1].jpg
59 KB, 900x900
>>7464699
Learned to make this shit a few months ago. I think I have perfected the recipe. You're gonna need some chili garlic sauce like in pic related for the sauce. It's a pretty key ingredient.
I got my recipe from this qt. She's got some other good asian recipes on her channel too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-47GhOl9hB0
>>
Most general tso dishes do not use breadcrumbs.

The are more like a type of battered chicken using Egg, Flour or Cornstarch.
>>
File: web-Sriracha-Chili-Garlic_8[1].jpg (85 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
web-Sriracha-Chili-Garlic_8[1].jpg
85 KB, 800x600
>>7464911
Wrong pic but you're gonna need that shit too.
Also this >>7464908
>>
>>7464915

Ya the Sambal is more of a fresh chili and the chili oil is a cooked chili. They each give the dish part of their own characteristic.

I am a huge fan of general tso. I used to buy it alot at a great Chinese place then the guy died and they dont make it as good anymore.

The video with the cute asian lady looks like a good recipe.
>>
File: join-us.jpg (152 KB, 719x1010) Image search: [Google]
join-us.jpg
152 KB, 719x1010
>>7464722
>>
wtf kind of general tsos uses breadcrumbs? That is disgusting. It is an egg, flour and cornstarch batter that you deep fry. The same as honey chicken, sweet and sour chicken, any of them. All the same batter. https://youtu.be/hfxledIyK6I
>>
File: 1438305941129.jpg (20 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1438305941129.jpg
20 KB, 300x300
>>7464722
shut the fuck up and let us discuss homemade chink food you stupid autist
>>
>>7464699
The best way to fuck it up and make white mom Chinese food is by using breast meat instead of the far superior thigh meat.
>>
>>7464699
What do you do with the leftover frying oil? Do you just put it back in the same container or store it separately?
>>
>>7465498
I usually pour it through some cheesecloth to catch any bits of crap in it and pour it back into the bottle and save it for the next time I fry something, provided the oil isn't too broken down or stinky from whatever I've been frying.
>>
>>7465498
Toss it into the trash can, not the drain. If you're cheap, reuse at most once after filtering it.
>>
>>7465498
Store it separately if you're going to deep fry again soon, don't mix it with the fresh stuff. If you don't fry very often you may as well just throw it out (not down the drain) as the stuff doesn't keep all that well.
>>
>>7464699
I think you just use corn or rice flour and chili peppers, wtf you need the breadcrumb for?
>>7464741
Fuck you and that fart huffing corn holing fag got Jack you insensitive prick.
>>
>>7464722
nice shitpost
>>
>made this today
>accidentally added too much chilli

My tongue is burning every bite. Help!
>>
>>7467044
put some milk in it
>>
>>7467044
Add soy sauce and honey
>>
>>7467044

Did you put real red chili's in it ?

Those are super hot and should only be added to taste.

The recipe already has Chili Sambal and Chili Oil in it. So when you add those dried chili you make it super hot.

The fried red chili peppers fried i the red chili oil should only be done by somebody that really likes alot of heat.
>>
>>7467323
I added all of them. I underestimated how spicy it would be.
>>
>>7467341

Ya those whole red chili are hot and are only added to spice it up even more. They are really a garnish and should never be eaten.

I have been with people that tired to eat them before and you can just laugh at them.

Chili sambal and chili oil is enough and for a 1 person dish 1 chili gives it a extra kick.

If you added more then 1 chili per person then you are getting into super hot territory.
>>
>>7467323
>>7467341
>>7467395
>Being this fucking white
>>
>>7464699
i think the vinegar you're looking for is rice vinegar
>>
>>7464751

Newfag cringe.

You know >>>/out/ is a board for those who like to be outdoors, right?

It doesn't mean "get out". Lurk a little Sonny.
>>
>>7467497
>hey look at me I like to roll around in the mud and not take a bath!
You people are worse than /fit/
>>
Guy who has never eaten this here. If you use whole chilies, are you supposed to eat them too or are they only there to give the sauce some flavor?
>>
>>7467504

I didn't say I am from /out/.

I simply corrected a newfag on his misuse of terminology. Aka (You).

I'm more a /k/ommando. If you'd like to argue the 2nd Amendment, I'm your huckleberry. Otherwise stfu you newfag jump to conclusions bitch.
>>
>>7467514
>backpedaling
Feel free to treat us to a greentext fantasy about how you totally got attacked by 12 blacks and you scared 'em off with your physical manifestation of freedom (which is also just an inanimate tool, depending on what's convenient for your argument-of-the-moment)
>>
>>7467519

>backpedaling

Lol, is English not your native language?

I /k/ because I'm a vet who is a gun owner. I /ck/ because I like arguing with teenagers over nothing, once again (You).

You seem to have spite for everything.
>>
>>7467514
Which well regulated militia do you belong to ?
>>
>>7467508

You dont eat the whole chili, you just put it in when frying the garlic with oil to leech flavor into the dish.

The dish already has chili in two forms. The sambal and the chili oil. So adding whole fresh dried chili is just an extra fancy touch.
>>
>>7467527

Well technically every male 18-56 in America is part of a militia. It's an antiquated law.

But none, I'm a normie.
>>
>>7467526
>spite for everything
Nope, just you and your kind. The kind of mentally ill person who I only ever see on 4chan and occasionally in the news because he (You) went postal and shot a bunch of people in his podunk town because his life didn't turn out the way he wanted boo hoo abloo abloo :(

Isn't it funny how the people who should least of all have guns, are the ones most vocal about them?
>>
File: 1445017003508.jpg (212 KB, 652x774) Image search: [Google]
1445017003508.jpg
212 KB, 652x774
>>7467545

Stopped reading.

Next time just say you're from Yurop.
>>
>>7467551
Why should I say anything like that? You can shriek and yell about how angry hicks like you are "the real America" but that doesn't change the fact that you literally declare war on the federal government multiple times per year.

Which one of us is committing treason now, cleetus?
>>
>>7467551
amerifat BTFO once again

enjoy being this buttblasted on a mongolian rice trading exchange
>>
Lets talk about the chicken.

My favorite Chinese place did it as slices of chicken instead of cubes. And they had a really good breading recipe that I am trying to copy but haven't gotten totally right yet.

When the owner died they started doing it a different way, more like Sweet and Sour chicken.

If you have eaten sweet and sour chicken before you know what kind of breading they use for that. Its more of a batter or smooth coating on the chicken. They make it by mixing a wet batter and dipping the chicken in it and then just frying right out of the batter.

But the general tso is better if you batter coat / bread the fried bites of chicken. Instead of putting them right in from the wet stage it seems like its better if you put them in dry cornstarch before you fry them.
>>
>>7467568
>>7467572

What the actual fuck are you shitposters posting about?

First of all, you didn't win any arguments.

You just proved your idiocy.

>a board full of thousands of posters is 1 person meme
>leftist shit posters on the shitpost board sure showed you!!! Lol
>>
>>7467572

BRUSH YOUR TEETH
>>
>>7467595
still buttblasted.

gg amerifat gg.
>>
>>7467608

Score check:

America 5000, You 0
>>
>>7467612
still buttmad.

gg lol
>>
>>7467616

I won the argument. Saying I'm mad doesn't make it so.

>being this much of a butt blasted Europoor
>>
File: ck.png (139 KB, 811x727) Image search: [Google]
ck.png
139 KB, 811x727
another quality thread, greatly enhanced by intelligent contributions by the gun nut brigade
>>
>>7467044
>too much chilli

No such thing.
>>
>>7464699
>breadcrumbs
They use a cornstarch dredge/batter, I think.
>>
>>7465498
Dump it out my window into a parking lot.
>>
>>7464699
Fuschia Dunlop
>>
>>7467497
People have been memeing about the /out/ board meaning get out for years, tard
>>
File: cornstarch.webm (1015 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
cornstarch.webm
1015 KB, 1280x720
>>
>>7467497
0/10 try harder faggot
>>
>>7464722
lel
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.