[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who here buys a bottle of wine in the restaurant? I'm not
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 6
File: wine.png (241 KB, 394x528) Image search: [Google]
wine.png
241 KB, 394x528
Who here buys a bottle of wine in the restaurant?

I'm not paying $35 for a $8 bottle of swill.
>>
It depends, if I'm at a place with a really heavy main, and the person I'm with is also having a really heavy main, and we're both getting pretty similar food, then sure. The markup is more like double retail not over 4x, must suck to live wherever you live.

At a more expensive place where there's a tasting menu, a glass at a time is better.

If it's just a casual dinner, then I'll just have a glass (or carafe) of the house wine if it's not anything too disgusting. Depends on the place, it often is.

Beer for dinner? No. Not unless I'm having hot dogs for dinner or cheesy fries or some other midwest-style thing. Like at a flyover themed restaurant. Yes, they exist.
>>
My grandfather who's a wine collector once told me that buying bottles of really old wines in restaurants might actually be cheaper than getting them at auctions.
>>
If you can't afford to go out, then don't go out.
>>
File: 1424462419313.jpg (51 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
1424462419313.jpg
51 KB, 480x640
>>7463875
Are you new here or something? The purpose of a restaurant is to serve me food at the wholesale cost of ingredients and not a penny more. Any attempts to run a business and have employees who get paid so that they actually want to work there is literally the same Jewish conspiracy that's responsible for me not being a winner.

I would also like to add that any ingredient or technique that my trailer trash parents didn't expose me to in childhood is "memefood" for "cucks" who want to destroy the white race and sell America to {insert boogyman here}.

As a final note, restaurant employees who smile, ask "how are you", or engage in other conventional social pleasantries should have got a real job. I'm not here to have a conversation you dumb feminazi. Just bring me my tap water and don't pressure me into anything expensive. Do I look like Trump to you?
>>
>>7463896
>that image
>smoking the propylene glycol Jew
>>
>>7463896
kek
>>
>>7463380
Who here buys potatoes in a restaurant?
I'm not paying $5 for 3 boiled potatoes worth $0.15
>>
>>7463941

But I bet you pay $5 for $.15 worth of crap at McDonalds, don't you?
>>
>>7463941
I only buy potatoes in restaurants if they include copious amounts of butter, cream, or cheese.
>>
File: 1368289596754.jpg (62 KB, 640x516) Image search: [Google]
1368289596754.jpg
62 KB, 640x516
If you call ahead and make sure its not on their wine list, you can bring your own bottle of wine to a restaurant. You'll still have to pay corkage, but thats not more than like 5 bucks AT THE MOST.
>>
Id rather stay home, cook good food myself and then drink a 35 dollar bottle without any table charge.
>>
>>7463875
>>7463941

If the liquor store can make a profit selling that same bottle of wine at retail, then why does the restaurant need to charge x3?
>>
>>7463567
>beer is flyover

Hello, flyover
>>
>>7464015
You're paying for the service. Are you retarded?
>>
File: Hmmm.png (4 KB, 204x205) Image search: [Google]
Hmmm.png
4 KB, 204x205
>>7463875
>>
>>7464028
>beer isn't flyover
Hello neckbeard, season any cast iron skillets today?
>>
>>7464034
Paying x3 markup for someone to walk to the fridge, grab the bottle, then pour it in your glass for you.

Totally worth it!
>>
>>7464037
See:
>>7464034
>>
>>7464040
Sounds like you can't afford to go out.

>fridge
Ya got me
>>
>>7464047
It's not that I can't afford it. It's just that it's a huge waste of money, since I can get the same product elsewhere for much less. Sorry that the "service" isn't worth $20+ to me.
>>
>>7464059
Then don't go out, ya goob.
>>
>>7464061
Or I'll go out and not purchase a bottle of wine?
>>
>>7464067
So, wine is the problem, not a $20 plate of chicken and noodles?
>>
i like to get the house red at a buffet

slows the meal down and i eat less like a fat slob
>>
>>7464094
Correct, due to the considerable preparation time and skill required to prepare the chicken and noodles. If I were a better chef than those who work at restaurants, I would cook the food at home myself. How do you not get this?
>>
>>7464113
Another point is that I get to try a few different dishes at a restaurant rather than everyone in my group being forced into eating the same thing due to the prohibitive amount of effort required to make several dishes for one meal.
>>
>>7463875
>>7464034

OP here. I will just point out that I have been in Buenos Aires a few times and a fair bottle of wine in a restaurant costs about the same as a fair bottle of wine in the market. In America it is simply a scam that has become so pervasive that it is accepted as norm. So go pound sand up your ass.
>>
>>7463380
>I'm not paying $35 for a $8 bottle of swill.
You're not eating in good restaurants then. At the high end of mark up (usually on the by the glass wines) it's usually about four times the wholesale price of the bottle, which itself is subject to volume purchase discounts. A bottle that sells for $15 retail would be $10 wholesale, and more like $8.50 if purchased in quantity. So your math is close - that $8.50 (wholesale) bottle of wine will usually sell in a restaurant for $34, or $9 a glass.

But that's at top markup. Any place that gives a shit about their wine list robs from Peter to pay Paul. They let wines at top markup subsidize bargains on their list that may be marked up as little as 2.5 to 3 times the wholesale price because they're proud to have those specific wines on their list, and know customers who are into wine will appreciate them A savvy customer will recognize these, and end up paying as little as a 1.6 markup over the retail price, which is hardly a big deal when dining out.

tl;dr I do order wine when dining out as long as the place has wines on the list worth ordering.
>>
>>7464218
All wine is the same
t. /ck/
>>
File: General Arbor Mist Bottles.jpg (98 KB, 550x386) Image search: [Google]
General Arbor Mist Bottles.jpg
98 KB, 550x386
>>7464414
>>
>>7463912
>2016
>still using pg
Do you still use leaded gas too?
>>
>>7464414
what is this t. [source] meme
>>
>>7464939
Some Yuropoor faggotry. Just ignore it as you should do with all memes anyway.
>>
>>7463380
Most restaurants with wine on the menu, except for maybe Applebee's (blessings and peace be upon them), will have a corkage fee.
>>
>>7464957
"faggotry" and "yuropoor" are both memes, anon

t. 4chan
>>
>>7464978
So you should have ignored my post instead of taking the bait and perpetuating the shitposting.
>>
Boi
>>
>>7463380

The hotel I worked in (4 star, UK) used to have a program where they actually subsidised the good wine and sold it for less than cost price to draw people in, it was absolutely brilliant.

Guests loved it, and I took my family a few times. More places should consider it, brought so many more people in and profits went through the roof.
>>
If I'm taking my guy out to a nice dinner then fuck yes
>>
>>7463991
>like 5 bucks
hello flyover
>>
>live in Europe
>wine is sometimes cheaper than bottled water in restaurants, and if not it's reasonably priced
>not treated special at all
>come back to the states and think about ordering wine in a restaurant
>Jew prices for absolute garbage wine

No.

Just....no.
>>
>not just going to the BYOB taco shanty with an insulated tote bag full of Barefoot Malbec

it's the current year, c'mon
>>
best dates I've ever had were the ones where we split a bottle of wine. If you can get her to share a whole bottle with you she probably wants to fuck you, and you'll both think it's a good idea by the time you're done with it
>>
File: 1456187972321.png (11 KB, 211x246) Image search: [Google]
1456187972321.png
11 KB, 211x246
>>7465734
>cultures are different on different continents
Wow, so crazy
>>
>not smuggling in alcohol
Who else white trash here
>>
>>7464131
>comparing cost of labor and Temperance-era alcohol licenses, restrictions, and staff training in United States to cost of labor and fairly lax (occasionally nonexistent) liquor laws in South America

It's not a scam, it's the cost of paying everyone in the restaurant a decent wage, making enough for rent since heavy markup on drink is far more socially acceptable here than markup on food, and putting enough money into savings to pay off a fine if the police department's 20 year old cadet manages to get a glass of wine or a beer with his meal which makes the Alcohol Control Board hit the restaurant with a $20,000 fine because front of house is too overworked to ask for ID.
>>
pretty good sushi restaurant near my place that lets you bring in any kind of booze with no corkage fee. not sure it's legal but everyone does it they even refrigerate it for you. I go in with six packs of IPAs and get sauced. Will be bringing a bottle of champagne next time I go.

Other places I've been to allow a bottle in with a $15 corkage fee I think. Bring in a magnum bottle and you still come out ahead.
>>
>>7466016
>not willing to be Jewed out of money for shitty vino
Wow, so crazy
>>
>>7466107
>heavy markup on drink is far more socially acceptable here than markup on food

Like I said, scam.
>>
>>7463380
why buy a bottle? where I go they always pair a course with wine. 5 courses equals three different wines.
>>
>take a trip to the UK
>gas is 15 kiloeuros per liter
>food is bland and expensive
>it's always raining
>it's full of muslims
Suffice it to say I was glad when I made it back to the land of the free and the home of the reasonable prices.
>>
>>7467017
>never left mom's basement
>>
>be me in berlin with friends
>go to italian resto on saturday
>order two red's, tons of food (pizza, pasta, salad..
>order cheese plate for desert
>order white for desert
>crashed three candle light dinners ^^
>>
>>7466994
When doing a tasting menu it makes sense to go for the pairings course by course. But if I'm in a more casual situation where a bunch of dishes are being passed around a bottle or two for the table makes more sense.
>>
>>7467072
I don't quite get the term 'tasting menu'. depending on the location this is normal?! Casually I am usually out with friends - everyone buys a bottle. this would often be in an italian or spanish place.
>>
>>7467104
>>7467035
>>7466994
right. I am a fucking yuropoor. but no eu member.
>>
>>7467104
Tasting menus are a big thing in upscale places like those with Michelin stars (or aspiring to get them). It's a prix fixe with many small courses, and wine pairings are offered with each course. They're often crazy expensive, so only rich people do them with any regularity.
>everyone buys a bottle
Must be nice to live in a place where wine is that affordable. Where I live (NYC) the mark up on wine follows the math I outlined here >>7464218 So while one bottle per person is pretty much the rule at dinner parties when dining out that would at the very least double the cost of the meal, and more likely triple or quadruple it. In some places that specialize in serious wine the checks frequently run into the thousands of dollars, only a few hundred of which is food. Veritas would be an example of such a place. But even in more casual places (like Frank Prisinzano restaurants) they offer good food at reasonable prices, then make easy money off the wine list.

Unfortunately in the US wine is still seen as a luxury product for the most part. Many people here drink soda with their meals, for fuck's sake!
>>
>>7466775
The heavy markup is there because we can afford it, friend.
>>
>>7467212
No it isn't. It's there as the legacy of how wine was seen in most of the country for most of our history. Only recently has the middle class really started drinking the stuff. Rich people drank good wine and bums drank awful sweet fortified wine. If the middle and working class drank at all it was beer and sometimes liquor. And Prohibition made soda a popular choice for many, and still makes getting a license to serve alcohol difficult enough to assure that many restaurants don't serve it at all.

So the idea of wine with a meal is still seen as a luxury (or even decadence) by much of the country, and thus commands a luxury tax.
>>
>>7467332
You're right, but businesses charge what they know you can afford to spend. Sorry that you can't
>>
>>7467348
Well I've never heard someone expound on the merits of price gouging. I guess if it exands your already inflated view of yourself then it's worth it to you.
>>
>>7467332
prohibition was never an issue here.
>>
Wine is such a funny thing in America. It's treated like it's this some sort of classy rich man's drink only available to the bourgeois. Then you go anywhere else in the world and it's treated like what it is: a barrel full of fermented grapes.

It's so fucking weird going to America and the weird as fuck wine culture compared to anywhere I've been in Europe or South America (asians don't really do wine, they are more beer people) and only in America is it treated like this holy, magical drink that you need to pay respect to, lest you offend the vintner and/or the sommelier.

It's worse in the midwest and west coast. It seemed east coast and southerners still didn't really care but I guess it's probably more to do with them being more european immigrants.
>>
>>7467501
>guess it's probably more to do with them being more european immigrants.
That's part of it. My family (middle aged Northeasterner here) didn't drink wine when I was growing up, but I had plenty of Italian American neighbors, and they did. My first taste of the stuff was at dinner at one of their houses when I was a teen.

By the time I was and adult wine drinking had become more common, and we had it at our family holiday meals.

But wine attracts nerds, and rich nerds are more than happy to make a fuss about rare, expensive bottles. I've been to a few parties thrown by rich people where they were showing off opening nice bottles from their cellars. Then again, if you want to show off by being generous to your guests that's fine by me. These are the kind of people who run up checks in the thousands at places like Veritas.
>>
>>7464038
Corkage fee is 20$ at most places in my city
>>
>>7467332
k sure and beer and liquor have just as high markups. what makes wine special, really?
>>
>>7468207
neckbeards have a hate boner for wine because they think if they hold the glass wrong they'll be humiliated and thrown out of the restaurant
>>
>>7468207
Nothing. There are beer snobs and liquor snobs, same as there are wine snobs.

Wine has been consumed by people of all classes and income levels for thousands of years. I don't know where this idea that drinking wine is some kind of super special new activity only recently adopted by the middle class even came from.

Sounds more like some neckbeard tipping his fedora and trying to pretend he's some kind of high class patrician.
>>
If you're on a date you'd better buy that shit. It's fo-pa if you don't. Are you so cheap you can't pay for it on that special day?
>>
>>7466029

I just get drunk before going out so one glass of the least expensive wine is good for me
>>
>>7468247
Not quite. Aside from NY, VA and CA the US was traditionally not much of a wine drinking place. Beer and cider were popular, as was corn whiskey. Most of the cider trees were cut down during Prohibition, so after we had mostly beer and corn whiskey. Wine was never that much of a thing. Rich francophiles like Thomas Jefferson has cellars, but if you look at how wine drinkers were portrayed in American media until the 1980's (when articles about the health benefits of drinking red wine started coming out) they were either snobs at French (or maybe Italian) restaurants or skid row bums with a bottle of MD 20/20.

Even as recently as the early 2000's on the sitcom Frasier the effete brothers were in a wine club while their down to earth working class dad drank beer.
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.