[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Herring Sandwich
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5
File: broodje-haring.jpg (24 KB, 476x310) Image search: [Google]
broodje-haring.jpg
24 KB, 476x310
Any dutchfags on this board?

I had this excellent snack in Amsterdam last time I visited, I can acquire herring locally but I need to know how they prepare the Herring.

I don't think it was pickled because pickled herring is way stronger in flavour, it just tasted fresh and fishy. It was prepared cold with raw onion and gerkin, but I can't imagine it was raw?

How do I cook this fish?
>>
File: broodje_haring.jpg (190 KB, 521x458) Image search: [Google]
broodje_haring.jpg
190 KB, 521x458
>>7463351

Also lets make this thread a streetfood thread.

This haring broodje was infinitely superior to a hotdog.
>>
>>7463352
>hard broodje
soft > hard
>>
it is raw
>>
learn to matjes
>>
>>7463379

Ah good to know, so fresh herring fillets are good to go then.
>>
>>7463351

It's raw mate. Pretty delish, right?
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soused_herring
>>
>>7463398

When they are 'in season' the fishmonger usually fillets them right there on the spot for you. As long as they are very fresh it should be fine.
>>
>>7463411

They are 'in season' the whole year and should be cut fresh before your eyes. The fish is frozen after getting caught to prevent parasites to hatch. In any good shop they should taste the same for the whole year (salty, fresh). The best way to eat it is in a soft bread without onions. Historically the onions were added to mask the flavour or the rotten fish. Source: I had one today, ate a broodje haring at least 2 times a week.
>>
>>7463351
How long did it take them to program you to like herring sandwiches? I always wondered.
>>
>>7463351
Dutchfriend here, this shit is disgusting
>>
I was in Amsterdam last week
I tried those and it was delicious..

Can't wait to do some myself now I m back to blighty
>>
It's raw herring in around 6% salt for preservation, nothing fancy.
>>
>>7466912
real dutchfriend here

please go back to morocco faker
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
That looked delicious, but the bread...
>>
i'm new to the netherlands and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for any youtube cooking channels in dutch? i want to expand on the cuisine and language.
>>
>>7469658
Mate the dutch kitchen sucks dick on youtube. We dont even exist virtually, unless you're looking for faggot vids on youtube. Gues your best bet is to get a cooking book.
>>
>>7469598
It looked delicious, but in the stone age.
>>
File: recepten-e1449512470313[1].jpg (1 MB, 2448x2448) Image search: [Google]
recepten-e1449512470313[1].jpg
1 MB, 2448x2448
>>7469658
Go to the albert heijn and try one of the recipes they have in the rack near the entrance

it looks like this
>>
>>7469673
>>7469691
thanks, i'll do some more digging around. i did skim through the albert heijn magazine, and it seems like there is some good stuff in there, just more modern than what i was hoping for. i would really like to get a better feel for traditional/classic dutch food, just not sure where to find things other than kale/potato slop and raw herring.
>>
I can't wait for herring season to begin.
>>
>>7469705
most the microwave meals albert heijn sells are based on old recipes like the kale/potato, carrot/onion/potato and other slops

you could try making red cabbage/hachee/potato
>>
>>7466912
kill yourself, mohammed
>>
>>7469705
Potato slop and raw herring is pretty much all Dutch cuisine that exists.
>>
>>7469828
thank you, having names of things to look for is helpful.

>>7469909
chocolate sprinkles sandwiches and stroopwafels are pretty good too
>>
>>7469909
what about all the pastry u fuck
>>
>>7463351
That looks amazing.
>>
Half Dutch here, I always try to get some fresh haring when I visit. Only with bread and onion though, I guess it's regional. Shit is delicious. Some Luikse wafels as well.
>>
>>7469909
frikandel, bitterballen, hachee, snert met rookworst, poffertjes, oliebollen step up ya game!
>>
>>7469960
broodje kroket, satétjes met pindasaus
>>
I went to Holland and they had these delightful little cafeteria places with basically a wall of glas-front boxes full of various foods and you just went up and picked what you wanted as it was prepared and slotted in by people behind the wall making it.
>>
>>7469972

That's called an "Automat"
>>
>>7469972
kroket uit de muur
it's a fantastic idea isn't it? sell people weed & offer them deep fried shit in a wall afterwards
>>
I'm going to the Netherlands in May. Anything in particular I should try?
>>
Looks disgusting like most food from that region.
>>
>white bread
>herring

lol gtfo race traitor
>>
Americlap here, are these good? It looks good, how do I go about getting one of these down my throat?
>>
>>7466912
fuck off ahmed
>>
>>7471768
broodje kroket or frikadel speciaal
>>
>>7463351
>>7463352

>pickles
>hard bread

Into the trash it goes.

>>7466912

He's right you know, the pickles make it disgusting. Without pickles its fantastic.

>>7469705
Boil potatoes to shit, mash it together with boiled to snot vegetables, add gravy and meat cooked to perfect shoe leather consistency. Average classic dutch dinner. Otherwise you're stuck with deep fried meat products or dough.

I'd suggest going with Indonesian food.

>>7469960
>junk food
>junk food
>vegetable goop and shoe leather
>pea goop, processed fat and sausage
>junk food
>junk food
>>7469966
>junk food
>junk food
Thanks for proving my point.
>>
>>7466912
Suck a pigs intestine, Hamza.
>>
File: paling.jpg (53 KB, 700x390) Image search: [Google]
paling.jpg
53 KB, 700x390
I prefer paling(smoked eel)
>>
>>7471768
weed, shrooms, and hookers
>>
>>7469658
>cuisine
not gonna find any of that in this shitty country
>>
>>7473466
based food, but almost extinct and super expensive worth every cent though
>>
>>7469658
Dunno any Dutch cooks, but I love the Flemish cook Jeroen Meus. Language is pretty much the same. Very likeable & down to earth guy, only tv-cook I not only can stand, but actually enjoy watching. So comfy.
>>
>ctrl+f
>"stamppot"
>no results

you serious
>>
>>7463351
Canadafag here, for dinner I had two of these. I use a fresh roll, a pickled herring fillet, dijon mustard, sweet onion, and dill pickles. A little S+P too.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.