[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I live in the middle of nowhere, and I went to the market
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
So I live in the middle of nowhere, and I went to the market in philly while visiting. I brought back what is maeuntang roe, or that's what it was labeled, because my grandma claimed a guy she knew loved it, fried. I bought it, thinking I could get it but I don't think it'll hold up now looking at it closely. Anyone have any recipes for this? All I get is fish soup, and even those need the whole fish which I don't have.
>>
>>7461909
>I could get it
i mean i thought i could fry it, but its falling apart a little. worst comes to worst im going to just attempt at frying it.
>>
>>7461909
You shoulda just got a cheesesteak
>>
>>7461926
>cheesesteak
>philly
nah, im better off here in joisey for that. those two rivals are hacks, they mince that meat up until its nothing and then they lather canned cheese. they need to get their asses kicked

but really, i do love philly.
>>
>>7461931
>those two rivals are hacks
I don't think anyone from Philadelphia actually eats at Pat's or Geno's. They are just for tourists. Most people would agree their cheese steaks are garbage and there are much better places to go for one.
>>
>>7462049
Why'd you fire her?
>>
>>7462055
Because reasons.
>>
>>7462069
You set up a nanny cam and found out she rubbed her butt on everything right? That's what usually happens.
>>
>>7462049
well its roe, or fish eggs or some kind of sack. i guess it was meant for a fish stew. really, im willing to try any recipe. i just dont want this to go to waste. i rarely get to try new things. hell, even qual and duck is impossible to find within an hours drive for me. south jersey is a fucking wasteland.
>>
>>7462073
She'd have gotten a raise, not a firing.
>>
>>7462073
>found out she rubbed her butt on everything right?
this is why i would hire a cleaning lady
>>
>>7462076
Why not salt cure it and make something like bottarga? I think you just leave it in salt until it dries out enough that you can grate it over things. It's pretty delicious stuff and it preserves it for a long time.
>>
>>7461948
>garbage
Man, even their shitty examples look better than Subway.
>>
>>7462089
do you think that would work? have you done this? and just leave it out in room temperature? for how long? this actually sounds great.
>>
>>7462089
>bottarga
sorry, i just realized that was specific towards roe. im probably going to do this, thanks a lot. this looks really interesting. hoping for the best
>>
>>7462144
Why can't you just fry it? If you can fry an egg, you should be able to fry the mushiest of roe.
>>
>>7462138
>>7462144
I've never made it myself. I've only tasted it in restaurants. I'm assuming you can find out how to make it on google. It's really good grated over pasta.

If you go through the process of making some I think we would all love to see some step by step pics when you are finished.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2448x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2448x2448
>>7461909
God speed you black emperor
>>
>>7462191
saw to soak it in a brine kinda thing overnight, and then salt it for a few days. i hope this comes out well. ill take a pic in the morning and after salting a few days, im, if the thread is still up, going to post the final product.

if anyone can save me from fucking up, please help. im going in this almost blind
>>
>>7462138
>>7462144
Not him and while I've never made bottargo, I have made other dried meat foods, such as salami, jerky, pancetta and even prosciutto once.
Once the thing is salted, you hang it somewhere cool, dark and away from vermin and other contaminants. I've seen people use a second fridge specifically for hanging and drying meat in. I have, too, but only for smaller things, not something as large as a roe sack.
>>
>>7462213
i saw in the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_9Hx1S07so
the same thing. thanks a bunch for the input. im hoping this turns out well. im going to probably split the thing in half after soaking so its not in such a large bunch. hopefully that might help. again, thanks. i might hang them in my basement if i can get a nice cool spot for them
>>
>>7461909
you get this at reading terminal market? I might be pick one up
>>
>>7462233
>reading terminal market?
redding and yeah, it was a korean guy selling fish. this was one of the odd things on his stand. let me know what you do and how it turns out.
>>
>>7462271
>redding
sorry, you were correct. i am the asshat
>>
>>7462271
you go to any of the cheese stands? or the olive oil one? those are two of my favorites other than getting good meats from the qt amish grills
>>
>>7462271
>>7462276
also I just saw the deleted posts on the archive and you actually think locals eat at pat's or geno's? the best cheesesteak is also at the market at DiNic's
>>
>>7462280
i saw it, and wanted to buy something but spent my doe on roe and quail. would you recc anything from that stand? ill have to buy something next time im in philly.
>>
>>7462289
for the cheese I've never gone wrong. for the olive oil stand I like the balsamic vinegars a lot and there's taps for free samples on all of them so just try what sounds interesting
>>
>>7462300
that sounds awesome. im sad i didnt get to try it. we were rushed on time, but next trip im going to definitely sample and buy some. thanks
>>
>>7462311
yeah it takes a couple trips there just to even see everything but I've only ever been disappointed with prepared food from restaurants there I'm always happy with the shops
>>
>>7462330
i know what you mean. i got some chicken and fries from on of the busy stands and it was just ok. the vendors were surprisingly great tho. i kind of want to ride there just for the produce and meats, at least i would if i didnt have to park and ride my big fucking truck in the city. its stressful doing that tho. you a local? im assuming..
>>
>>7462340
yeah not native to philly but I've lived downtown a few years now. I'm pretty sure every vendor also sells at least at their own land and probably in some other markets so you can look up and see if some are more easily accessible for a car
>>
>>7462343
thanks. good advice. its a pain living in south jersey and having to settle with acme and shopright so this is major help. i appreciate it.
>>
>>7462352
no problem I always have love to talk about reading terminal. You probably have access to the best tomatoe and cranberries I've in south jersey though. I love stopping at the road stands on the way to the shore
>>
>>7462365
love it. the local corn in season is always great too. my family always looks out for the tomatoes and corn in the summer. you do the shore in OC, AC, or maybe cape may? those are where im usually spending my weekends at in the summer. mac and mankos was always my fav pizza
>>
>>7462372
family has a place in comfy sea isle city. yeah I forgot about the corn and watermelon
>>
>>7462224
saw this, too:

http://fishcooking.about.com/od/smokebrine/ss/bottarga.htm#showall

looks pretty simple

I doubt it'll come out as dry as a lot of the commercially produced stuff, but maybe it will. Even if not, it just means it wouldn't be quite as intensely flavored and it'd have a shorter shelf life, which aren't necessarily bad things.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 2448x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 2448x2448
>>7462191
Some of the roe broke but it should be fine I think. Gonna salt it in the am.
>>
>>7462284
No, he doesn't t think locals eat at Pat's or Geno's. But I know natives who eat at Pat's but not Geno's. And while I know plenty of locals who eat at DiNic's, I know literally zero natives who eat there.
I deleted that post, by the way, because reasons. I think you think that the guy you're talking to is me, have I got that right? We're two different people.

>>7462343
Where? I used to live in CC/Art Museum then Chinatown/Convention Center area until they tore down my building (and my fav bar and diner) to expand the center.
Now, I'm in SP. Bought a house here nearly five years ago.

>>7462352
I like Shoprite!
>>
>>7462442
>I like Shoprite!
it aint bad, but its not like they have some are stuff. at least i found some creme fraiche there, which acme never stocks near me.
>>
>>7462453
>are
rare, sorry. im drinking the turkey tonight so im sloppy
>>
>>7462442
>We're two different people.
whoa. I'm too drunk for this. I'm not telling you where I live but its downtown. hoping your stuff turns out cool. either way good talk
>>
File: 21-taramosalata-by-lila.jpg (23 KB, 600x454) Image search: [Google]
21-taramosalata-by-lila.jpg
23 KB, 600x454
Taramosalata

200 g tarama (fish roe), preferably white
350 g white bread
1 grated onion
2 lemons
olive oil
pepper

Remove the crust of the bread and soak in water. Once done, squeeze out the water as much as possible.
In a blender, place the roe and the onion, the pepper, and the soaked bread. Blend well.
While the blender is running, add the lemon juice and then the olive oil, poured in a slow stream.
Taste the mixture and if necessary add more bread, olive oil, pepper or lemon to personal taste/preference.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.