[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Wellington Steak
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 9
File: Beef-wellington-recipe.jpg (80 KB, 570x570) Image search: [Google]
Beef-wellington-recipe.jpg
80 KB, 570x570
So, this weekend I will attempt to make a Wellington Steak. I already have the recepies and ingredients, but I am unsure of what to make to go with it.

The traditional thing would be mashed potatoes, but I had this idea to make it fancier: I would take a bunch of small potatoes, boil them with the skins along a few dried Funghi mushrooms and smash them with the skins for a rustic look and put a dash of lack pepper. Do yu guys think it is a good idea?
>>
Sometimes I like to make twice baked potato.

You bake a big potato and hollow it out, then you take the extra potato and add it to some regular mashed potato then you put that in the potato skin.

Sometimes I add bacon or scallion. Then you bake them till the potato brown and melt cheddar cheese on them.
>>
I have never heard of Beef Wellington referred to as Wellington Steak, but whatever.

The traditional accompaniment is indeed mashed potato and seasonal vegetables. You could indeed make crushed potatoes instead, as you suggest.
>>
>>7461341
>>7461342
Those are both good opinions, but do you guys think putting the Funghi on the mashed potatos will be a good mix? I kind of really wanted to try it out.

Also, I should have said Beef Wellington,but I just did a quick translation on top of my head and screwd up. My bad.
>>
>>7461386
>do you guys think putting the Funghi on the mashed potatos will be a good mix?

Personally, I wouldn't bother; you should have the duxelles in the wellington anyway, so that might be too much mushroom.
>>
>>7461398
Hmmm, good point. Maybe I will try the Twice baked potato the first guy talked about, with a very creamy mashed potato and bacon crisps.
>>
>>7461386

Personally I think it would be better to saute them mushrooms and have them be their own side dish rather than adding them to the potatoes, but if you like the idea of having them with the potatoes then why not go for it? It certainly couldn't hurt to try it.

Also, I wouldn't use too many mushrooms. Beef Wellington already contains Duxelles, which is made from mushrooms. So be careful of adding too much!
>>
Beef wellington is pretty rich/heavy, I'd probably just saute some veg or even just make a nice salad. The beetroot salad that fag in the good/healthy salad thread right now would go well with this I think.
>>
>>7461337
Some nice fresh green beans or roasted asparagus.
>>
I love it when they fuck up the beef wellington on Hell's Kitchen.
>>
my pastry keeps getting stuck to the baking pan. Any tips familia?
>>
>>7461337
what country are you from that calls it wellington steak lad?
>>
File: 201012031314372097.jpg (14 KB, 230x207) Image search: [Google]
201012031314372097.jpg
14 KB, 230x207
>>7461605

A wire baking rack
>>
File: 835443575.jpg (85 KB, 600x734) Image search: [Google]
835443575.jpg
85 KB, 600x734
>beef wellington
>it's rare
>>
>>7461611
checked and thanks
>>
>>7461605

Grease the pan before you put the Wellington on top.
or
make sure you dust the pastry with plenty of flour, the same way that you dust your countertop with flour when you work with dough so that it doesn't stick.
>>
>>7461337
holly shit, that beef is still bleeding.
>>
I dont like making a big wellington and carving it. Wayy too messy.

Instead I sous vide an 8 ounce fillet to med rare, sear it and then wrap it up individually in puff pastry.

Then I bake little individually wrapped steak versions off beef wellington that each person gets to enjoy on their own. That way they can carve into it .

Because its small the pastry cooks fast so its best if the steak is sous vide to med rare. If not it wont cook.

This is a big problem with normal wellington, the pastry cooks faster then steak.
>>
>>7461668
>Wayy too messy.

How so? your knife dull?

>, the pastry cooks faster then steak.
That's why you sear and partially cook the meat before wrapping it in the pastry.
>>
>>7461668
> messy
> prefers a method that requires you to whip out the circulator and seal meats in bags
>>
>>7461685

What's messy about the latter?

For that matter, what's messy about either?
>>
>>7461689
Water is so messy!
>>
File: pic3zxQ2E.jpg (77 KB, 555x370) Image search: [Google]
pic3zxQ2E.jpg
77 KB, 555x370
Sometimes its grilled chicken with boursin cheese and other times I might do beef with gorgonzola.
>>
>>7461719
this guy gets it
>>
>>7461668
This is the way to do it if you dont want it med rare or rare. This is if you want it medium or further.
>>
>>7461785

Well depending how you like your beef you can sous vide it till its like 120 and then finish it the rest of the way in the oven. Just dont par cook it all the way.
>>
File: IMAG0027.jpg (1 MB, 3264x1840) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0027.jpg
1 MB, 3264x1840
Kinda related, just posting my boeuf en croute
>>
File: IMAG0034.jpg (1 MB, 3264x1840) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0034.jpg
1 MB, 3264x1840
>>7461895
>>
File: gordon1.jpg (29 KB, 400x224) Image search: [Google]
gordon1.jpg
29 KB, 400x224
>>7461601
Gordon Ramsay got prisoners to make it in his "Gordon Behind Bars" show
>>
>>7461719
What?
>>
OP here. Thanks for all the tips. Will take them in account when preparing. May make a thread showing results on sunday afternoon.
>>
>>7461337
you could try fondant potatoes

I didn't read the thread so feel free to disregard this post if it feels out of place
>>
>>7461618
quite literally the only way to serve it
>>
>>7461337
Isn't this a notoriously difficult dish to make well?
>>
>>7461337

I love beef wellington. Try it with Potato Gratin.
>>
>>7461337
Hey, boil in milk carrots, potatoes and onions. Don't put a lid on it, stir so that the bottom doesnt stick. Season to taste.
>>
>>7462570
What the fuck are milk carrots?
>>
File: 01.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1138) Image search: [Google]
01.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1138
haggis wellington
>>
>>7462600
Aw yis
Love me some haggis
Cockburns the best
>>
>>7461605
PARCHMENT PAPER

THANK ME LATER
>>
>>7461618
That comment and use of that pic tickled me.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.