[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /ck/ have in their knife sets?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 8
File: kitchen-knives-02.jpg (1 MB, 3863x3125) Image search: [Google]
kitchen-knives-02.jpg
1 MB, 3863x3125
What does /ck/ have in their knife sets?
>>
>>7459059
It's called a honing steel not sharpening steel you amateur. You aren't actually sharpening a knife but realigning the blades edge.

Honing steel, 9 inch chefs knife, filet knife and a paring knife.
>>
>>7459070
It's a meme anyway, it doesn't do shit.
>>
>>7459059
Honing steel, 9 inch chef knife, 6 inch santoku, 2x paring knives.

Santoku and one paring knife were gifts, otherwise I wouldn't have bought them.
>>
>>7459070
>I created this image

>>7459074
Yes it does, are you retarded? How do you think your knife gets dull? By coming in contact with other objects. These aren't harder than the steel, so they aren't able to damage it, only warp it. The steel isn't harder than the knife either, so it can also only warp it back to its original shape. This is knife sharpening 101.
>>
>>7459059
two large chef's knives + one small
large and medium serrated knives
paring knife
fillet knife
cleaver
kitchen shears
honing steel
two-sided whetstone

I almost exclusively use the largest chef's knife, paring knife and steel.
>>
Steel, roast knife, two chef's knives, a sort of utility knife, a paring knife, and a bunch of other shit that isn't knives.

Right now the "utility knife" does the job of the boning and fillet knives, but those are going to be my next purchases.

>>7459074

Fuck off.
>>
>>7459107

Also a bread knife and a "sandwich knife", which I received as a gift but honestly use almost every day (it's like a spatula with a serrated blade, and is actually really useful and enjoyable to use).
>>
>>7459104
Don't get your fedora all sweaty son.
>>
My kit:
8 inch chef's knife
7 inch nakiri with a bit of a curve at the tip (it's heavier than my chef's knife and it my go to for large root vegetables)
5 inch utility
3 inch paring knife
Steel
>>
>>7459121
>got shit on for being ignorant, better retort with nonsensical ad hominem
>>
>>7459130
And an offset bread knife with a fair point and sharp teeth with plenty of space between them. It's a great knife.
>>
>>7459131
How will I ever show my anonymous face here again, omg.
>>
Mine:
8 in. chef's
7(?) in. cck thin cleaver (good for bulk work, and stays real sharp. Don't keep it in the kitchen since it's too vulnerable to rust.)
8(?) in. asian market all-stainless cleaver (mostly used for really big tasks like squashes or large pieces of meat)
bread knife
paring knife
>>
>>7459059
Chef's knife, utility knife, paring knife, bread knife, knife sharpener, honing steel.
Also an electric carving knife, but I usually use it for cutting foam.
>>
>>7459208
>cutting foam

Furfag, LARP or both?
>>
File: ChineseCleaver.jpg (487 KB, 4006x2067) Image search: [Google]
ChineseCleaver.jpg
487 KB, 4006x2067
>>7459059
nothing else
>>
>>7459433

>he brought his bench scraper to a knife sharpener
>>
>>7459461
Yet it works so well for all of my needs. Take that, expensiveknifefags.
>>
File: 1457437191119.png (121 KB, 1050x1050) Image search: [Google]
1457437191119.png
121 KB, 1050x1050
>>7459059
I have all types of knives. All you need is a chef's knife and a steel to hone it. Then a cleaver, especially if you hunt (bunny haunches are hard to separate with a chef's knife). Otherwise, those serated "steak" knives, for on the plate or to spread butter.
>>
>>7459433
I worked with a guy that did nearly everything with a cheap cleaver. Pretty impressive, desu.
>>
>>7459860
I worked at a chinese place where that was the only knives in the kitchen.

>>7459059
10" chef
8" chef
scalloped bread knife
offset handle sandwich knife
scimitar
boner
paring
honesuki
prong/turning fork
scissor
steel honer
ceramic honer

Gave my santuko to a friend as it was redundant.
>>
8" Shun chef
6" Shun serrated utility
3" Wusthof paring
6" Kyocera ceramic
Foot long bread knife from Sam's Club of unknown make
4 Miracle Blade steak knives (I paid $10 for these and they are utterly amazing for what they are, get them)
>>
>>7460039
Used to own Shuns but I made the switch to Global and never looked back. Globals are fucking perfect.
>>
One good chef knife. I use it for about all serious cutting, chopping etc.

One serrated knife for bread.

One somewhat blunt, very rough chef knife for anything the good one would get blunt on.

One small paring knife, whenever chef's knife is an overkill (e.g. need to cut 5 slices of sausage).

Some butter knives.

A crap utility knife, a crap chef's knife, almost never used.

I need to get a finely serrated knife. These things are wonderful for cutting soft veggies like tomato or pickles.
>>
>>7460142
This is the offset serrated I have. It's a really well rounded knife. Decently spaced scallops with nice tall teeth. Razor sharp. You will absolutely not be disappointed if you use this for soft veggies.

http://www.amazon.com/Mercer-Culinary-Millennia-8-Inch-Sandwich/dp/B000PS6QX2/ref=pd_rhf_se_p_img_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=0THPY6DRQ2G52RKTQ3BT
>>
File: 1450276164943.gif (3 MB, 300x252) Image search: [Google]
1450276164943.gif
3 MB, 300x252
>>7460065
>>
a bunch of garbage and a hunting knife
>>
>>7459059
I have a Chef's knife and a honing steel. What do I need anything else for?
>>
File: miracle_blade_3.jpg (24 KB, 380x268) Image search: [Google]
miracle_blade_3.jpg
24 KB, 380x268
Thank you Chef Tony!
>>
File: tumblr_m6syvvbp6e1qcq43jo1_500.jpg (37 KB, 413x433) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m6syvvbp6e1qcq43jo1_500.jpg
37 KB, 413x433
>>7459860
Very relevant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idGvS0pKiC4
>>
I have:
-Sugimoto #6 Chinese cleaver (my go-to for 90% of the work in the kitchen)
-Victorinox Forschner chef's knife, 11 inch. This is what I learned with when I started getting serious about cooking. Now it's my "beater" for cookouts and whatnot
-Victorinox offset serrated knife for bread
-Victorinox flexible boning knife for working around bones
-Chan Chi Kee no. 3 Pork butcher's cleaver for the big stuff
-Glestain petty knife for the fine stuff
>>
>>7460712
Fuck yeah! Using the back of a China plate as a honing steel - that is some deep Chinese shit!
>>
>>7460740

It's not really local to China, bro. My grandmother (German) used to do the exact same thing to sharpen her knives.
>>
>>7460746
Point taken. But it is old school as hell.
>>
>boning knife

pffffpffpffft
>>
File: 1455719347585.png (44 KB, 440x360) Image search: [Google]
1455719347585.png
44 KB, 440x360
>>7460709

>mfw I actually own this shit

All I use now is a cheap walmart santoku and my case knife for paring or peeling
>>
>>7459059
chefs knife
bread knife
utility knife
paring knife
no good ones tho, got almost all of it and a pan for under 30 euros
>>
>>7459059
>honing steel
>ceramic honing 'steel'
It's shit. Doesn't appear to do anything that the regular steel doesn't. It's got a diamond shape though and that's kinda nice.
>22cm chef's knife
>18cm chef's knife
>German 'santuko style' mini cleaver
>big fuck off Chinese cleaver
>Bread knife
>paring knives
>>
>Have one all purpose serrated knife and one bread knife
>Never use bread knife because its too jagged for anything but bread
>Sorta want a chef knife
>>
>>7461841
dude for real spend the like thirty bux on a cheap victorinox chefs knife. I favor the fibrox because they're dishwasher safe and wood handles are outdated. It'll last for a couple of years without much maintenance and if it gets unusable, well it only cost you thirty or forty dollars.
They're stamped steel which isn't ideal, in a perfect world we'd all have drop forged German manufactured blades or pattern welded Japanese works of art but it's perfectly good steel and Victorinox know how to make blades.

Do it now, it'll honestly change your life having a half way reasonable blade.
http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Fibrox-Straight-Chefs-8-Inch/dp/B008M5U1C2
>>
>>7461869
Eh, I have worked as a chef assistant. The difference is not that big.
A sharpening tool honestly sounds more appealing.
>>
>>7461885
serrated knives don't sharpen well and will wreck ceramic sharpeners.
I just assumed from your post that you were an amateur ya know.
I still maintain that my advice is sound for anyone who doesn't have a chef's knife and has a spare forty dollars.
>>
>>7461869
I'd recommend the Mercer Genesis 8" instead. It's a forged knife with a better (imo) grip for the same price.
>>
Wusthof Chef's knife, some random pairing knife. I don't filet things often, but I have a filet knife also. I have a pairing knife, but lately I've been using the Chef's for that too.

I have a full set, but really, I use the Chef's knife for basically everything except bread
>>
>>7462839
dang I've not seen those knives. I'll probably order one now just for shits. Good price on 'em.
>>
Chef's Knife
Carving Knife
Bread Knife
Filet Knife
Utility Knife
Honing Steel
>>
>>7462868

They gave us Mercer in culinary school, and while they're cheap, industry workhorses, I found them awkward and uncomfortable as fuck.

Go to a store and actually handle the knives before you buy them, even if you end up ordering them online. As cheap as it is, it's still better to know that you're going to enjoy it before spending however much money and regretting it.
>>
>>7462917
The Renaissance Mercers are basically Wusthof classics. That's what my chef at culinary uses for his personal knives.

He caters as well as teaches so his knives all run the gauntlet on a weekly basis. They've become his favorites based on quality and value. I'd recommend them over victorinox junk any day.
>>
>>7463063
what ate some good knife sets? preferably something that wont break the bank
>>
>>7464098
I think the general consensus on /ck/ is Victorinox, followed by Tojiro DP if you can afford them.
>>
>>7464271

The general consensus is to not buy a knife set, but yeah Victorinox, Tojiro DP, and then probably Global seem to be top three things that get reposted (maybe by the same few people in every knife thread...).
>>
>>7459059
Of the ones I actually use: steel, 21 cm gyuto, a couple of different utility knives, and a paring knife. It's a horrible mash up of stuff that was given to me and the only one I actually chose for myself was the gyuto.

At some point I'd like to get a Chinese cleaver.
>>
I have the following:

245mm Gyuto
215mm Gyuto
180mm Nakiri
90mm Petty
305mm Sujihiki
245mm Gyuto
150mm Honosuke
150mm Petty
210mm Gyuto
165mm Nakiri
265mm Gyuto
265mm Slicer
265mm Bread Knife
200mm Gyuto
300mm Chef's Knife
US Army Surplus Cleaver
180mm Santoku
210mm Chef's Knife
90mm Tourne knife
210mm Slicer
240mm Chef's Knife

Plus an assortment of whetstones, both synthetic and natural.

Most are from various Japanese smiths and some of the beater knives are German or French.
>>
File: m4Y88.png (464 KB, 427x960) Image search: [Google]
m4Y88.png
464 KB, 427x960
>>7459104
Knife gets dull by use, unnecessary use on material it wasn't intended to cut only makes it dull faster. Pic related is probably you
>>
>>7464098
Mercer is a great option as I've already said.

Tojiro is good too, but if you're buying the gyuto, understand that's a knife meant for meat and fish. It has a slimmer, straighter blade for less drag and even cutting. This would be the only situation is recommend a santoku for the wider, heavier blade with more curvature, that way you'd have something that could handle larger vegetables and smaller dices.

Victorinox is alright but nothing is recommend. They're the kind of knifes that are stamped out a sheet, dipped in plastic and sent out. If you're looking for a lower cost or entry level set of knives, I'd go with Dexter Russell. It's almost the same product as Victorinox but about ten bucks cheaper.

Personally, I own globals. A lot of people think of them as pretentious or over-hyped or whatever, but for me they're perfect. And that's really what important at the end of the day. If I were you I'd swing by a local college, they might have some Mercers you could look at because it's a common culinary program knife. Also surprisingly, bed bath and beyond has a great selection of knives (wusthof, henckle, global, miyabi, etc at the one near me). Just look before you buy and know how to take care of them.
>>
>>7459059

ZJAH 8 inch chef

Wusthof classic 6 inch chef
Wusthof classic 3.5inch
Wusthof classic 6 inch vegetable cleaver

Honing steel

IMO a knife too many, but thats okay. Initially bought the Henckels as my first "good" knife. I'm a fairly average sized 6 foot tall dude, and but it felt pretty cumbersome for anything other than cutting 20lb pieces of meat into smaller pieces. Pretty must exclusively use the chefs knife, even for jobs that would be better for the cleaver just so I only use one knife. The cleaver is great since the cutting edge barely has any curve, so it is nice for finely mincing things but that is about it. If I did it again I would just buy a 6" chef and a 3.5 pairing.
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.