[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Shoulder roasts
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Hey guys. So my dad has been buying these beef should roasts recently due to sales. I had to rush this one in the oven as my parents have a late meeting tonight. I filled up the bottom of the pan with 1/2 in of water and rubbed it with olive oil, Marsala wine (only red wine we had) salt, and pepper. This is it after I unlided it 20 minutes into cooking. I feel there's a tastier way to prepare these roasts but I don't have much experience and research is leaving my empty handed. Any suggestions for next time?
>>
looks like shit

give up
>>
You should brown the outside and cover it while it braises
>>
Toss it
>>
>>7458526
So pan roast it first next time but re-cover the roast then?
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
Btw, here's a clearer picture as the lighting wasn't the best for the first one.
>>
>>7458541
No. Season the outside, sear it in a pan on all sides, then braise it in the oven.
>>
>>7458553
That is literally shit in a tray. Looks dry as fuck. Throw it away, m80.
>>
>>7458511
>Any suggestions for next time?

-no water. Use only stock, wine, or a combination of both.
-add herbs. rosemary, thyme, and bay are great with beef.
-season the meat, sear it, then braise it
-add aromatic vegetables like carrots, onion, garlic, celery, etc. while it braises
>>
>>7458599
Thanks. I think I may have saved this one by adding in some leftover beef stock just now and I definitely going to try for the vegetables and herbs next time. Any recommendations on wine? I know red wines are for pork and beef but don't know much about specific kinds.
>>
>>7458613

Actually, I'd go with a white wine or alcoholic cider with pork, rather than a red wine. But that's a bit off topic.

You don't need to use a crazy expensive wine, but it should be good enough that it's drinkable on its own. If you use a really cheap shitty wine then you'll end up concentrating those shitty flavors. You also don't want a sweet or dessert sort of wine, but otherwise pretty much anything works.
>>
>>7458511
>>Any suggestions for next time?
>>7458558
this but also:

Everything is in the slicing.. slice thin against the grain. Great for sandwich meat and tenderness.
>>
>>7458553
see
>>7458522
>>
how the fuck do you fuck up that badly?
>>
>>7458511
>>7458553
Is that actual Pyroceram Corningware or the crap World Kitchen Corningware?
>>
File: blade roast.jpg (425 KB, 1200x2781) Image search: [Google]
blade roast.jpg
425 KB, 1200x2781
Any kind of chuck roast will benefit from low slow braising...
>>
File: 51dVCbQssNL.jpg (45 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
51dVCbQssNL.jpg
45 KB, 400x400
>>7458633
Yeah, red wine and beef stock.
My go-to is pic related. A teaspoon or so of that per cup of wine. And about half a bottle of red wine (cabernet, merlot, or even "red blend"), typically in the $6-10/bottle range. Maybe 3/4 of a bottle, maybe the whole bottle.

And what >>7458599 said about veggies. 3-4 carrots, 2-3 celery stalks, an onion, some garlic.

If you really like garlic, peel a head of garlic, stab roast with knife, cram garlic slices into roast. Rub the whole roast with salt/pepper or random seasonings, take spice-laden fingers and do abominable things to the holes in which you've stuffed the garlic. Go nuts on it.

Then slow and low, 4-5 hours at around 300-350F, maybe 6 for something that big. Browning the meat beforehand is preferable, but if you're going to go low and slow, cover with foil, basically steam it for the first 2-3 hours, then uncover and let it develop its own crust in the remaining 1-2 hours.

The point with a braise is that by the time you're done, the meat can be cut with a spoon. And whatever you crammed into the meat via knife/fingers/garlic will have thorougly flavored it.
>>
Casserole

The best way to do shoulder of any animal I've encountered is always casserole or some slow cooking with diced meat and mixing of juices/flavours.

Curry is another option.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.