[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are onions so great ? They can go with almost everything
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: 1402065953.jpg (30 KB, 300x278) Image search: [Google]
1402065953.jpg
30 KB, 300x278
Why are onions so great ? They can go with almost everything and improve every recipe you can think of.

Also what's best onions ? Yellow ? White ? Red ? Pink ? Green ?
>>
I don't go for anything fancy with onions, but I'm a fan of having them as a side for nearly anything, fried and with some sauce.

Or is this a meme thread?
>>
File: kissing.2-Medium.jpg (134 KB, 1152x768) Image search: [Google]
kissing.2-Medium.jpg
134 KB, 1152x768
>>7458273
They also have the effect of making your breath unpleasant and unkissable.
>>
>>7458273
there is a use for every color. one time in italy I had a red pasta sauce made with sone kind of special onion (red) and sage. haven't been able to get it right so far.
>>
>>7458289
Nobody on 4chan has a GF so it's ok

>>7458281
>Or is this a meme thread?
Why would it be ?
>>
>>7458292
Red has clearly the strongest flavor but it's also very acidic and can't be use in everything. I usually use them for cold salads, ceviche, cajun gombo and possibly some chutney.

But for every other use, I tends to like pink onions better. They are the best of both worlds and are generally made as best quality because they are more difficult to make.

OP pic is Roscoff onions, they are probably one of the best onions in the world.
>>
>>7458292
The red onion was likely tropean onion. They're our answer to the American vidalian onion but unlike those, ours are both sweeter /and/ have less sulfur while vidalia onions just lack sulfur.
As for sage, that's common in chunky tomato sauces generally meant to be eaten with game, such as pheasant, quail, rabbit and boar though is also used with chicken and lamb.

>>7458273
Because I'm a cheap sumbitch, I just use yellow unless it's raw, then I use tropean. We have a sauce in my part of Italy made from cooking down 3kg of onions down to 1kg of sauce. It's supposed to have both yellow and tropean, but due to being a cheap-o, I just use yellow.
>>
Why is onion in every recipe ever, it's annoying
>>
Purple onion is best

But I love them all. Every time I cook something I throw onions at it.
>>
>>7458317
zero tomato in that sauce I mentioned. probably just some special onion, butter and sage.
>>
File: 1457288761130.jpg (424 KB, 1800x1200) Image search: [Google]
1457288761130.jpg
424 KB, 1800x1200
>>7458273
They go great with most dishes, are cheap af, and have a great shelf life compared to most other produce.

The kind you use depends on what you are making. Usually yellows are usually for sauces and long cooked dishes, while whites are usually fresh for shit like salsa or fried for example. Why you no mention shallots man?
>>
>>7458380
Shallots are not onions, that's all. They are much stronger for one.

Also there's really many many kind of onions. For sauce, I think small yellow to the best. Or even better, take some small yellow, DON'T peel them, just one cut, but them in an oven with a chicken and some butter, they'll peel alone and cook to perfection.
>>
>>7458356
Assumed tomato because >>7458292
>red pasta sauce
Anyway, it's odd, because the only "red sauce" I can think of made of red onions and sage without tomato wouldn't be used on pasta, ever.

It's a sweet and sour sauce, not unlike a chutney, used as a table condiment, mostly for cheeses, and not as a pasta condiment. It's made by caramelising the onions but instead of wine, we use balsamic and/or red wine vinegar. It can be served hot or cold. On bread or cheese, sure. Pizza too. But never on pasta.

Look up "composta di cipolle di tropea" on google and lemme know if that looks similar.

The sauce made of onions that I mentioned, that often includes tropean onion in its ingredients, is used on pasta but it's brown and doesn't use sage. Instead, we put either herb celery, levistico/mountain celery or orbassanan celery.
>>
>>7458273

Onions are the bane of my existence. If I had a choice of going back in time to kill Hitler or removing all onions I would remove all onions.
>>
yellow onions imo

onions are good because they're slightly high in sugar for a vegetable and are therefore AWESOME when caramelized
>>
>>7458403
shallots are by definition a type of onion. 2/10 for response.
>>
>>7458273
I dont usually like australian food but their blooming onions (fried whole giant onion with dippin sauce) is amazing

inb4 saturated fats
>>
I love onions but stopped eating them after gorging myself on 5 big yellow onions over a couple of days. The following week was a constant battle against holding in vile farts. Almost burst my colon.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.