[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Favourite curry? Masala or Balti for me. Even better with paneer in.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 7
File: _60995260_144721458.jpg (10 KB, 304x171) Image search: [Google]
_60995260_144721458.jpg
10 KB, 304x171
Favourite curry? Masala or Balti for me. Even better with paneer in.
>>
Japanese.

inb4 200 angry replies about how it's not REAL curry or that I'm a weeaboo
>>
>>7458034
Indian
>>
>>7458039
That's not REAL curry you fucking weeb!
>>
>>7458039
Never had it, only ever Indian and Thai, both very different. Thai curry is almost more like a soup,
>>
>>7458034
Why is it that tofu sucks in an Indian curry whereas paneer is very nice in one, when they're both pretty similar?
>>
>>7458046
Japanese curry is the best curry. Only dumb hipsters or Indians think this is a wrong thing to say. Go poo outside of a loo, Pajeet.
>>
File: IMG_0628.jpg (2 MB, 1936x2592) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0628.jpg
2 MB, 1936x2592
paneer butter masala
>>
curry is fucking curry. It's a stew.

Roti is the best dish for curry

Indian burrito ftw
>>
>>7458058
>Only dumb hipsters
Only hipsters prefer japanese curry.
>>
>>7458069
Roti, poori or chapati.
>>
>>7458034
Vindaloo. Lamb or goat. 2 Naan to sop up that delicious sauce.
>>
>>7458078
Most East Asians prefer Japanese curry while only Indians and white people like Thai/Indian curries.
>>
>>7458108
Japanese curry is a fucking meme, friend.
>>
>>7458122
>it's a meme because I don't like it

Calm down, friend. Do you happen to be white and live in Portland, by any chance?
>>
>>7458056
First off they taste different. Paneer is milky and cooling which is perfect for spicy sauces. Secondly they react differently under heat. The paneer will become soft and on the verge of melty.
They might look similar but they are indeed two very different things.
>>
>>7458125
Don't get me wrong, I like japanese curry. In fact, today I ate japanese curry rice for dinner. I'm just pointing out that japanese curry is the memest curry.

Nope, white and swecuck.
>>
>>7458068
Got a recipe? Recently tried paneer in a curry, I think I like it even more than chicken.
>>
>>7458159
I'm a veggiefag so most Indian curry I eat usually has paneer in it. So, so good.

Quorn also makes a great meat substitute when cooking, although I'm not sure if you can really buy it outside of the UK.
>>
File: IMG_0626.jpg (2 MB, 1936x2592) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0626.jpg
2 MB, 1936x2592
>>7458159
Do you mean the recipe for paneer?
I made some last week. Pic related.
>>
>>7458185
That looks good, last time I made mine it was a bit crumbly. If you have a recipe for the butter masala that would be nice as well.
>>
>>7458159
>>7458185
Whatever, I'm just going to assume you meant the recipe for paneer so here goes.

3l or 12 11/16 cups of pasteurized milk (not the ultra or super pasteurized kind)
Juice from two medium sized lemons
1tbs white vinegar

Heat the milk while stirring to prevent burning in the bottom until it rises and just starting to boil turn off the heat and add the lemon juice and vinegar. Stir gently until all the curds have been separated and the whey is almost without color. Pour everything into a cheesecloth or something like a kitchen towel made of cotton. Squeeze out most of the liquid and then form it into a two inch thick cake. Put about 3kg or 6,5lbs-7lbs of weight on it for about 1 1/2 hours.
Cut it into your preferred shapes, put it in an airtight container and cover the paneer with cold water. Put in fridge and it will last a couple of days. You may also just throw the cubes in a bag and put it in the freezer and it will last for about a month. I have found, however, that storing it in the freezer may make the paneer a bit crumbly. It's not a big deal but you loose some of the firmness.

Btw, don't ask me about why I used the ingredients i used. I have tried making paneer many times before with mixed results. This time I got great results and this is what I used.
>>
>>7458233
Sure, I wrote it down on the phone. It's in swedish though so I will need to translate.
>>
Chicken on the bone karahi. I know i'm boring, find me a new one please.
>>
>>7458034
i like thai curries

just had some fuckin panang curry last night
>>
My favorite curry was a curry taught to me by my Chef Instructor at culinary school.

He taught us how to make a chicken curry with Indian spices and I have made it ever since.
>>
I was unaware that curry could be a meme. I just enjoy curry of all kinds. I've only had Japanese curry from Go! Go! Curry! and it's pretty fucking tasty.

>>7458235
Thank you for this recipe going to save it and try it later.
>>
>>7458274
Curry is not a meme.

Things being a meme is a meme.
>>
>>7458233
>>7458241

Roughly chop 1 onion, 4 large ripe tomatoes, 3 inches of ginger and 7 cloves of garlic.
Heat up a tablespoon of butter in a pot under medium heat. Add 1tsp of whole cumin, 5 pods of green cardamom, 6 cloves, 1 inch cinnamon stick and two bay leaves to the pan. Gently fry the whole spices until the raw smell disappears and it becomes fragrant. Add the garlic, ginger and onion to the pan and sauté until the onions becomes soft. Add the chopped tomatoes and a half cup of water and cover with a lid. turn the heat down and simmer for about 20-30 minutes.

While it's simmering put about 50g or about 1.7oz of cashews in boiling water for about 10 minutes.
Then put the cashews in a blender along with a tablespoon of water and blitz until it's a smooth paste without any grains. Put aside for later use.

When the spices and vegetables have simmered for 20-30 minutes take it off the heat and let it cool for a few minutes.
Put everything in a blender until it's smooth and completely without grains. You don't want pieces of the whole spices left. Put aside.

Heat a tablespoon of butter in a pot and add 1tsp of chili powder. Use more chili powder if you like more heat. It's mostly for color anyway so if you don't like it spicy you may use paprika. gently fry the chili powder for a minute but make sure not to burn it. It turns dark very quick if you're not careful. Pour in the tomato sauce in the pot, put the lid on and let it simmer for about 10 minutes.

When it has been simmering for about 10 minutes add 1tsp of coriander powder, 1tsp of garam masala, 1/2 cup of cream, 1tbs of honey and the cashew paste. Stir in the ingredients and cover it with a lid. Let it simmer for another 5-10 minutes.
Next put in the cubed paneer, cover and simmer for 5 more minutes. Add salt to preferred saltiness(about 1 1/2tbs in my case) and serve with rice, naan or whatever you prefer.
>>
>>7458274
>Thank you for this recipe going to save it and try it later.

No worries. This recipe makes about 400-450g of paneer
>>
File: punjabicuisine.jpg (272 KB, 600x300) Image search: [Google]
punjabicuisine.jpg
272 KB, 600x300
>>7458034
I'm really fond of the vegetarian cooking from the Punjab region. Not the most exciting curries, but fucking delicious everyday food.
>>
>>7458235
Nice. Will try this out soon.

Any recommendations for what can be done with the liquid that separates out?
>>
>>7458302
The whey can be used in many different baking recipes. I have it in the freezer but haven't looked up any specific recipes yet. I'm sure you can google it and find plenty of recipes.
>>
>>7458300
I'm trying to eat vegetarian twice a week and indian food is perfect. So many good vegetarian recipes.
>>
File: 1453953991484.gif (2 MB, 450x250) Image search: [Google]
1453953991484.gif
2 MB, 450x250
chicken makhni
+ basmati rice / garlic butter naan
>>
File: VegetarianIndia.jpg (16 KB, 197x255) Image search: [Google]
VegetarianIndia.jpg
16 KB, 197x255
>>7458545
I got pic related for xmas, and am cooking a couple recipes from it right now. Seriously good book.
>>
>>7458274

as an indian i love go go curry, probably one of my top curries to date
>>
Most of my favorite Indian dishes are from Southern India. Goan fish dishes, and all that hot spice and coconut milk.....Fucking yum.
>>
>>7458572
I could probably use that book. I have exhausted all my vegetarian recipes.
>>
>>7458108
i think this has to do with the fact that east asians tend not to eat very spicy foods and enjoy meat in their dishes, in particular beef and pork.

indian and thai curry comes in many varieties. But while you can find pork curry from india and thailand but it's not particularly common, especially not beef curry, and it's often heavily spiced.

whites tend to have quite varied exposure to different cuisines so indian and thai varieties have probably grown on them.
>>
>>7458096
Muh nigga
>>
>>7458034
On a scale from Tobasco to eating scotch bonnets like strawberries how hot is a Phall?
I want to try something really hot but I don't go to curry places much and I would like to know if it is retardedly hot and to not bother or can you man through it
>>
>>7458108
Koreans and people from schezwan and Hunan prefer Indian curry to Japanese. He'll even most Japanese prefer Indian curry. Check out how many Indian restaurants there are in Japan.
>>
>>7458598
I was only familiar with Punjab style cooking, so suddenly making recipes that call for curry leaves and asafoetida was new ground for me. But all the recipes I've made from the book (probably about a quarter of them so far) seem bullet-proof.
>>
>>7458638
I have so many spices now that it shouldn't be a problem making the recipes. I'm gonna go out and look for a similar book tomorrow.
>>
>>7458058
>hipsters liking indian curries
>literally the most popular food in the country for lads on the night out and arguably the national food in some ways

Okay.
>>
>>7458293
Cashews do not go in paneer butter masala. They go in a shahi paneer as does honey and cream. Shahi is supposed to rich and slightly sweet. Pbm is supposed to be tomatoey, buttery and spicy. Imo cream should only go in makhani dishes and maybe shahi dishes. But a lot of restaurants use it in a pbm too. Nitpicking over nomenclature aside you made a great dish.
>>
>>7458572
Madhur jaffery is a great intro to Indian cuisine but I don't think she's the best instructor. As a matter of fact the biggest problem with Indian cuisine is the lack of a really good cook book for even one regional cuisine. That and the complete lack of archiving as it pertains to region specific dishes.
>>
>>7458685
And that's only one level of it. There are many legit Indian restaurants in every major city in the world. Never mind the fact that Indians themselves are in every major city in the world and have cheap restaurants catered to their tastes in their settlement areas. Only the most sheltered mid westerner in a city with zero technical jobs or an eastern European villager can think of Indian food as hipster.
>>
>>7458034

Fave curry was from the Cambodian cookbook, From Spiders to Water Lilies: Khmer Beef Curry

600g beef rump, cut into large cubes
3 tbsp pounded peeled ginger, juice saved
2 tbsp pounded fresh coriander, juice saved
1 tsp coriander seeds
8 shallots, grilled until browned
4 garlic cloves, grilled until browned
600ml coconut cream
3 tbsp chilli paste
12 tbsp lemongrass paste
2 tbsp Thai red curry paste
1 tbsp shrimp paste
6 tbsp palm sugar
2 tbsp fish sauce
3L beef stock
2 tsp Vietnamese curry powder
4 tbsp roasted and chopped peanuts
8 kaffir lime leaves, chopped into large pieces
Salt to taste
Red chillies, for garnish

Marinate beef in juices from pounded ginger and coriander root for 30 minutes. Pound coriander seeds into powder. Add Asian shallots and garlic, and pound into a paste. Set aside.
In a pot, boil 500ml of the coconut cream and reduce by half. Add chilli, lemongrass, red curry and shrimp paste, palm sugar and fish sauce, and fry until fragrant.
Add marinated beef and fry for 2 minutes or until all the meat is covered in the mixture. Pour in stock, bring to a boil, add curry powder and simmer until meat is tender, about 1 ½ hours.
Add remaining coconut cream, peanuts and half of the lime leaves, and simmer for 5 more minutes. Season with salt and garnish with remaining lime leaves and chillies.
>>
>>7458694
You're probably right and it's more of a restaurant-style paneer butter masala, that's at least how we made it when I worked at an Indian restaurant in Stockholm. Whatever it can be classified as it tastes great.

Also, I should have added that I used ceylon cinnamon in my recipe. It's more fragrant but less potent than the kind of cinnamon you find in your local supermarket, so it might be wise to add less if you're using that kind.
>>
>>7458783
If you prefer creamy and fragrant Indian dishes over the spicy tomatoey ones try methi malaise paneer. Or methi mattar malai mushroom.
>>
>>7458886
Methi malai paneer not malaise.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.