[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ok, I have a question. I want to make nacho cheese, not knowing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: cheddar-cheese-sauce-ck-x.jpg (23 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
cheddar-cheese-sauce-ck-x.jpg
23 KB, 300x300
Ok, I have a question.
I want to make nacho cheese, not knowing what the technical term for it is, I went online. SO what I think i'm looking for is

cheddar sauce

What I believe it is, is at room temperature its still creamy and can be scooped out on a tortilla, this shit does not get hard unless you purposefully freeze it.

IF that is the case, i have found places that are telling me use a half cup of cheddar up to use 4 cups for roughly the same exact other ingredients.

So I came here asking, does anyone know what the smallest batch I could make is so if I don't like it or it messes up, i'm not out a lot of ingredients? because of the quantity that's being asked for, I doubt i will eat it all in one sitting, so another question is how long/well does it keep and should i keep it in the pan that I make it in, reheating it on the stove, or would I be able to keep it in small tupperwares and heat it up in the microwave.

Honestly have no idea how dumb i sound asking this.
>>
Mix cheese and creme cheese until you get the consistency you want. Throw in stuff like bacon bits ects
>>
>>7457104
2 cups milk
2 decent handfuls of cheddar

Cook on medium for 5=`0 mins or until thickened. Add cheese as necessary for flavor/consistency.
>>
>>7457128
that's about what i'm reading.

but i have big hands, would you say a decent handful is about 1 cup?
>>
>>7457129
Taste, taste, taste.

If it doesn't taste like cheddar add some more. If its too thick add a splash of milk. A little liquid goes a long way.
>>
>>7457104
make bechamel
add whatever cheese you like, combine and stir until smooth. dip chips and eat.

spoilers: for white queso you see in every mexican joint its made with white american cheese (from the deli)

options: finely minced peppers/jalapeno, onion, dash or two of chili powder and cumin if you like, adjust to your taste.
>>
>>7457152
Bechamel if you want it to be a nice consistent thickness without the risk of burning it. Heat your milk before you add it to the roux though.
>>
>>7457152
>>7457161
this is what i ended up doing.

1 1/2 tablespoon butter
1 1/2 tablespoon all purpose flour
1 cup milk

the milk was cold, didn't see a huge issue with doing this but i can warm it up next time

then, put 1 cup of shredded cheddar in it.
tasted it,
shit was good, but could stand to be a little more cheesy
added about half a cup more.
even better
a bit of salt and pepper (should measure this out next time so i have a good amount to add as a standard)
fucking fantastic

while i was in the middle of the first cup of cheese, my asshole of a little brother came in, took half the chips and put cheddar on it then microwaved till it melted...

without enough chips to make a meal out of the cheese, i decided to heat up some leftover taco meat, add a but if the cheese sauce i made, a few black olives and a bit of some hanse salad that was in the fridge... mixed it up... great meal.

next time tacos are made, i'm definitely making this cheese again, i hate microwaving the meat+cheese combo so the cheese is all melted, mixing the meat and this shit turns out great.
>>
>>7457471
It's actually better to add cold milk for roux fit some reason. Add some diced picked jalapeño fit nacho cheese.
>>
>>7457161
>"Heat your milk before you add it to the roux"
No.
The milk should be cold to avoid lumps.
>>
>>7457490
>>7457491
>really drunk the other night
>decide to make homemade mac+cheese
>boil noodles
>google "ceese sauce recope"
>reading through instructions like I've never made a roux before
>halfway through making the roux I realize what the fuck I was doing to begin with
welp
>>
>>7457490
>>7457491
awesome,
as for the cheese sauce itself, it has more applications if i make it as a generic in quantity and then add shit to the small batches i use, otherwise i kind of pigeonhole myself.
>>
File: 20151231_174916-1600x1200.jpg (315 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
20151231_174916-1600x1200.jpg
315 KB, 1600x1200
>>7457104
Here's the ingredients I use to make my nacho cheese sauce

>CheeseWhey,Food Starch-Modified,Partially HydrogenatedSoybeanOil, CheddarCheese(CulturedMilk,Saltand Enzymes), Jalapeno Peppers, Sodium Phosphate,Salt,Maltodextrin, Vinegar,Monosodium Glutamate, Mono andDiglycerides, Sodium Stearoyl-2-Lactylate, Natural Flavors, Color Added (IncludingYellow 5 and Yellow 6). Containsmilk.

Comes out perfect every time. I like my 'chos with extra 'peños
>>
>>7457104
Here's a decent blog that goes into detail on what makes a cheese sauce "work" (i.e. not be oily/clumpy)

http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2010/09/the-burger-lab-cheese-sauce-for-burgers-fries-and-chips.html
>>
>>7457765
>monosodium glutamate
ayyy lmao
>>
>>7457471
>the milk was cold

Cold milk, hot roux, no lumps.
>>
>>7457128
8oz sharp cheddar
1/2tsp mustard powder
1/8tsp white pepper
bottle/can of beer
2g sodium citrate

dissolve sodium citrate, mustard powder and white pepper in beer over medium flame and add cheese when heated, whisk until emulsified.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.