[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fudge
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5
File: file.png (283 KB, 550x366) Image search: [Google]
file.png
283 KB, 550x366
Hey guys, dont come on /ck/ very often but I've been cooking more recently, I have a question about fudge.

I did everything right, brought it to the softball stage with the sugar, cocoa and milk , let it sit and then stirred in the vanilla and butter until it lost it's sheen, and then poured it into the pan to cool down and harden.

Only problem is, it didn't firm up, it stayed soft, and while I did repurpose it by eating it with a spoon and mixing it in with some ice cream (Super tasty), I'd like to know what I did wrong in the process. Any thoughts?
>>
File: 1455289860242.jpg (227 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
1455289860242.jpg
227 KB, 1600x1200
>>
>>
mang this is a slow ass board stop bumping shit.
you probably didn't heat the milk long enough. fudge is fickle as shit if you do the exact same thing again it'll probably work for some reason.
>>
>>7456790

Oh, I didnt make those bumps, those were other people, check the IP's.

Yeah, I made it the exact same way a time before that and it worked just fine, if fudge just fluctuates like that I guess I'll just keep trying
>>
>>7456796
>check the IP's.

What are you some kind of hacker?
>>
File: you REALLY hurt me.png (629 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
you REALLY hurt me.png
629 KB, 600x600
>>7456790
i wanted to hear more about fudge fuck off
>>
>>7456800

oh whoops, forgot everyone didnt use 4chanX
>>
>>7456800
wait what version of 4chan are you using?
>>
File: fudge.jpg (273 KB, 997x1938) Image search: [Google]
fudge.jpg
273 KB, 997x1938
>>7456769
If your temperatures were correct you likely under stirred.. Pic related (though not chocolate).
>>
Is there an ambient temperature or humidity difference from the time it came out properly and this time? Some times you may need to adjust things a tt to account for different room temps or humidity or elevation.
>>
>>7456807
>>7456796
what version of 4chanX lets you see samefagging?
>>
The higher temperature you take it to the firmer it will be

116C is kinda fondant-y
118C is on the pretty firm side

Also
>cocoa
You disgust me, regular fudge is so much better, why ruin it with cocoa?
>>
We make something kind of like fudge in my country, but I don't think Americans would want to eat either of the two variations. In fact, I thought the pic in OP was the first one I'm about to describe because ours has a bit of a rusty colour to it when cooked.
One is made with blood in a double boiler into which lots of chocolate is melted as well as powdered sugar. Then it's poured out into a rectangular pan and allowed to sit until cool and coagulated. Then you cut it into squares and eat. The texture is similar to tofu.

The other is similar, but instead of blood, it's made with water and/or milk as well as a starch of some sort, usually chickpea flour or chestnut flour, though cornmeal or semolina flour are also common. The texture is similar to polenta (because that's basically what it is, anyway).

Both often have other flavourings added, according to personal/regional tastes and preferences. My area adds extract of cherry pits or apricot kernels for a little bitterness. Others add zest of bitter orange .
>>
>>7457484

Wait, what's "Regular" fudge? The fudge I'm used to is Chocolate fudge
>>
>>7456769
did you freeze it for long enough?
>>
>>7458578

The recipe didnt call for freezing it, just for letting it sit to cool
>>
tight, i like fudge
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.