[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /ck/ pretty sure I fucked up my smoked salmon I let it sit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (19 KB, 278x181) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
19 KB, 278x181
Hey /ck/ pretty sure I fucked up my smoked salmon

I let it sit overnight in a salt / sugar / peppercorn mixture, then put it in my smoker for 3 hours.

When I came back out to check on it, it was cold and still raw. I checked and the smoker was out of pellets so I loaded them back in.

Is my salmon still okay to eat? Temp says it was at 50* F (10* C), pretty sure it's been sitting like that for at least 2 hours.

Is it fucked?
>>
>>7455301
why wouldn't you post a picture of it?
>>
>>7455301
It's fine, you brined it so it's chemically safe.
>>
its fine

according to the USDA and FDA food can be in the danger zone up to 4 hours and still be OK

this salmon could probably sit in the danger zone for much longer as long as you finish smoking it correctly
>>
>>7455301
na nigga i saw a post yesterday where somebody had smoked salmon looked just like that u good to eat it
>>
>>7455301
>put it in my smoker for 3 hours
>pretty sure it's been sitting like that for at least 2 hours

So you put it in for three hours but only put in enough pellets for one hour? Maybe you should practice with your smoker some more.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 4032x3024
>>7455337
>>
>>7455349
I got shit to do I didn't check, the fuck is this iron chef?
>>
>>7455350
Where did you get the salmon?
>>
Fish can sit at room temperature for more than a couple hours. It isn't great for it, but it's doable.
The rule of thumb I learned is that every hour outside a fridge takes 1-2ish days off the shelf life. I assume you're not using shitty near-expired fish for your tasty salmon, so you're fine. This is also sitting after the brining process, so as >>7455339 said, you'll be okay.
>>
>>7455357
Costco, it's the Kirkland signature stuff

>>7455358
Alright sweet, thanks

Filled the smoker up and it's at 150* F (65* C) now. Thanks for the help
>>
>>7455364
>Kirkland
The only Kirkland stuff I've seen is medicine. It's weird that they do food as well.
>>
is it just for you?
if so, its fine.
is it for you and your drunk buddies?
still fine
you and your dad? probably still fine
you and your pregnant sister?
no
paying customers?
throw it out, be smarter next time
>im servesafe certified, you can trust me
>>
>>7455370
Not at all, Costco does everything. The only weird thing here is that you've seen the brand and know nothing about it.
>>
>>7455352
You fucking idiot.
>>
>>7455380
It's for myself, yes

It's got high protien / fat, working on my macros
>>
>>7455352
You have time to smoke fish, but not enough time to figure out how to use the smoker correctly?
>>
basically the 4 hour rule is golden here, but culturally fish is the most forgiving in terms of spoilage edibility. think of all the fuckin weird spoiled fish meals there are out there

that being said, it sounds like it's basically smoked lox now, which is delicious. i've had pretty soft/raw feeling smoked salmon packaged in a light oil and i thought it was godtier on bagels with raw onions
>>
File: image.jpg (3 KB, 88x94) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3 KB, 88x94
>>7455435
Why the fuck are you still lurking here you salty bitchass, I could have wiped my salmon across your forehead to cure it

Go watch food network or whatever the fuck you're so proud of
>>
>>7455458
>My lazy ass fucked up but it's everybody elses fault
>>
>>7455463
>doesn't want to talk about food and technique on a food board

you're morally superior, champ, that's right. you got the participation trophy for sure
>>
>>7455471
>doesn't want to talk about food and technique on a food board

I'm doing nothing but food and technique; I'm talking about how terrible your technique was when it came to preparing your food and how you need to git gud.
>>
>>7455301

if dirty injuns managed to live off that shit for centuries without refrigeration and air drying their meats you'll be just fine
>>
>>7455370
I genuinely don't even know how that's possible
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.