[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just saw a thread on reddit: Prime Brisket for 3.19 a pound
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 5
File: uGp46SN.jpg (1 MB, 2988x5312) Image search: [Google]
uGp46SN.jpg
1 MB, 2988x5312
I just saw a thread on reddit: Prime Brisket for 3.19 a pound at Costco.

I got a Costco membership for an Xmas gift so we checked our Costco and they had the prime brisket at the same price.

Choice flats were priced at 5 dollars but the full packer prime briskets were 3.19

That is a great price. Last year we had to get a packer from a butcher and it cost us 8 dollars a pound.

The Snow just melted off here in Michigan so I am ready to get the smoker fired up.
>>
Excellent blog
>>
>>7454555
Prime brisket is always 3.49 a pound at my local store and pork belly is 2.79.
>>
>>7454555

where can i subscribe to your for women only shopping blog?
>>
>>7454555
The boneless pork shoulder at Costco is like 1.75 a pound right now too. I bought 14 lbs and split it up into 3 parts. I made a badass carnitas that I've been enjoying for lunches for a few days now.
>>
>>7454606

Nice, I want to buy more pork shoulder from Costco to try.

I had two 8 pound shoulders in the freezer I was going to cook this Saturday. But when we got this Prime brisket the plans changed.

I like to shred the pork on the first day and eat it as a sandwich with coleslaw. We started to buy a french baguette from a store nearby that is nice with the pork and we use Stubbs original BBQ sauce. The Sweet baby rays was our fav but its too sweet for this.

I have made Pork Carnitas a couple times with the leftover shredded pork and its good.

I used Corn tortilla and I made a relish with tomato, red onion, scallion, lime and Cilantro, + salt.

Then I mixed up the smoked shredded pork with mexican spices and warmed it up. I served with with queso fresco cheese and a side of red beans and rice.

How do you make smoked pork carnitas ? I just winged it.
>>
I plan on taking this Prime brisket and injecting it with Kosmos Q brisket injection. Then I will use oil and give it a texan style rub of just Salt and Pepper.

I want to bring out the beef flavor.

I might wrap up the brisket like I have before at about 160 when it starts to stall and add some Stubbs Beef Marinade sauce. Then for dinner I plan on serving macaroni and cheese with a salad and corn bread muffins.
>>
>>7454555
Welcome to dat Costco life. My 5-year-old is a sample hound and will make me divert my shopping route just so she can try everything in the store. Can't complain though. She's tried some things that she would be reluctant to at home.

>>7454606
Hmm. I may have to go in for the pork shoulder in the next few weeks.
>>
>>7454606
fucking jelly

no cash and carry shop in my country and even if there was it would still be too expensive
>>
>>7454645
I didn't smoke the first 5 lbs. I just tossed it in a pressure cooker with some chicken stock, and assload of cumin, and a few other seasonings.

With the good weather here in NW Ohio, I might have to fire up the kettle grill and try smoking one. It should follow the same low heat, long cook theory as brisket. I'm thinking applewood for smoke.
>>
File: 1452864152241.jpg (39 KB, 470x282) Image search: [Google]
1452864152241.jpg
39 KB, 470x282
>>7454555
>prime meat costs less than choice
>>
>>7454663
One of my friends kids said "were going to the sample store, yay!". Had to lol.
>>
Costco stopped selling wagyu. I am saddened.
>>
>>7454555
>there are actual cùcks like this on 4chan
>>
>eating meat in 2016
It's like you WANT to be fat and have cancer
>>
>>7456289
>buying into the meat is bad meme in 2016
It's like you WANT to be a faggot and have retardation
>>
>>7456295
No, I'm just not fucking fat like you are. My life is better because I'm not a fatass who unironically eats meat.
>>
>>7456300
Well, at least I'm not fucking stupid like you are. My life is better because I'm not a complete dipshit who unironically regurgitates complete horseshit.
>>
>>7456289
Can someone tell me if I should still be eating meat? I see it a lot that I should stop eating it
>>
>>7454555
is there any point to buying prime brisket that's going to be cooked low & slow?
>>
>>7456305
You're fat, you're retarded, and you smell like shit. Everyone at your school gropes your fat and calls you "fat nigger" all the time because you're the only black student in a fairly racist town.

>>7456313
Don't eat meat. It makes you fat.
>>
>>7456319
That's some high quality projection.
>>
>>7456313
Eat whatever you want. Disregard insecure faggots that try to tell you what to eat.
>>
I gotta make a trip over to my costco then

I don't have a smoker though, just an oven, am I fucked?
>>
>>7456332
Nah, brisket is pretty good when you braise it.

Definitely not the same as when you smoke it, but it's still pretty good. Plus you could always brine it and make corned beef.
>>
>>7456323
I'm not projecting, I'm not fat nigger and I've never been fat nigger, YOU are fat nigger.
>>
>>7456315

Yes, the Prime graded beef has more marbling.

The marbling is fat which keeps it moist and stops it from drying out. Also it tastes great.
>>
>>7456289

Well if the alternaitve is being a faggot...
>>
I will serve BBQ sides with the brisket like macaroni and cheese, baked beans and we are going to have a salad.

The next day with the leftover we are going to make BBQ beef and sharp cheddar sandwiches with coleslaw and fries. We usually have this on french baguette bread with a little Stubbs BBQ sauce.

What do you guys like with your brisket?
>>
only thing i don't like about costco is they only take american express.
>>
>>7454555
ok
>>
>>7457133
that's changing, will be visa only soon.
>>
>>7457315
Or pay cash?

Can this be a Costco general thread? What do you guys recommend getting there? Recently started buying the Kirkland brand trail mix and it's better than any other trail mix I've ever had.
>>
File: 0011.jpg (2 MB, 4320x3240) Image search: [Google]
0011.jpg
2 MB, 4320x3240
I have this Reserve Blend from Kosmos Q

Its a Brisket Injection ive been using. Its like a beef broth flavor mixed with things for competition quality BBQ

I plan on doing traditional Texas style by rubbing it with Salt, Pepper and a little garlic for a rub. Then smoking it

When I wrap it at the stall I plan on pouring in some Stubbs beef marinade this time then cooking till about 200f
>>
>>7457315
>third world problems
>>
File: 500-44877__1.jpg (47 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
500-44877__1.jpg
47 KB, 500x500
>>7457321
The rotisserie chickens are great
They have a decent cheese selection with good prices, I usually get a huge chunk of kirkland manchego for around $12.
It's also one of the few places these days that I can find usda prime beef outside of going to a butcher.
Their jarred pesto is good.
I don't really buy much frozen food but they have a lot of things you can't find anywhere else.
Bread is also not bad there.

I can't buy all my groceries there though, I live alone and could never eat all the bulk goods before they spoil.
>>
>>7457537
>I usually get a huge chunk of kirkland manchego for around $12.
There's a reason it's that cheap. A quality manchego goes for almost $30 a pound. The manchego you're buying is something that no other reputable buyer will purchase, hence why it ends up getting sold at a big discount warehouse store like Costco.
>>
>>7457537
The rotisserie chickens are a great deal. You can't buy a raw chicken of that size for that price.
The quality of the produce is terrific. Their strawberries consistently outdo other stores. The bagged broccoli and cauliflower are great for steaming.
Imported cheeses are good and priced well. Their large cheddar and mozzarella blocks beat other store prices as well.
Eggs are another staple for us. Large and cheaper than other stores.
Oats, black tea, chia seeds, flax, lentils, frozen berries, frozen kale (for smoothies), nuts, and meat (lamb, pork sirloin, and other cuts on discount) are common purchases for us.
>>
>>7457563
If that was the case then most of what costco sells would be shittier then their competition. They sell in bulk, I thought that was well known to be reason they have low prices. Their manchego is much better than the $10 tiny slivers of manchego at publix and fresh market. Sounds like you've never actually tried it.
>>
the briskets at my costco are the cheapest around but the point always has this pronounced gamey taste and the flat leaves a bleach aftertaste, every time I've ever bought one
>>
>>7457537
>I can't buy all my groceries there though, I live alone and could never eat all the bulk goods before they spoil.

I have this problem too. I ended up forming a bit of a "buying club" with my niece and one of my friends. There are a few things we all use fairly frequently, so when one of us gets low on one of those items, we shoot each other a text. If one of us has a surplus, we give the person running out some of it, and when we're all low, one of us makes the purchase and divides it up. We settle up with cash upon delivery.

We also tend to be the core organizers for all kinds of family and community events, so we do a lot of meal planning together anyways. And since our families all like similar foods, we tend to plan our shopping lists and meal plans together anyways.

With spring coming, several large family meals a week will be at my place. I own the party house. At least when it's warm. I have shitty indoor spaces for gatherings, but my yard and back deck are badass. Plenty of room for the kids to play, and a fire pit on the deck for the adults to sit around and socialize. It's all affordable because we maintain a party budget among the 3 families. Everyone kicks in 50 a week on supplies. Anything leftover goes towards improving the party locations. Mostly my place (outdoor toys for the kids, cornhole, horseshoe and redneck golf stuff for the adults, and a new fire pit), but we did use it to refinish the niece's dining room table as well.

Blog post over.

tldr; Find someone to go in on bulk purchases with you, and throw lots of parties.

Avoid Kirkland light beer. It has a funky sweet aftertaste.
>>
>>7457605
Freeze.

I usually make some 2 weeks worth of food in one run, freeze most.
>>
>>7457614
Yeah. I have a chest freezer for that too. A lot of the large packages they sell freeze well. The shredded cheeses are a great example. No way I could go through 6 lbs of shredded cheese before it starts growing. But a few gladware containers in the freezer solves it.
>>
>>7457574
>The rotisserie chickens are a great deal. You can't buy a raw chicken of that size for that price.
That's because all the chickens that they can no longer sell raw because they are about to go bad they make into rotisserie.

>>7457584
No, Costco doesn't just have food prices because they sell in bulk, they have good prices because they buy all the stuff that reputable grocers don't want to carry, then they rebrand them. There's no such thing as "Kirkland signature manchego." It's just shitty product that no one else would want to carry. Costco is Sam's Club for people too embarrassed to shop at Walmart.
>>
>>7454555
Is that vegan?
>>
>>7457690
The meat. Yeah. it was. But now carnists get to eat it. All vegans should be as tasty.
>>
>>7457674
>they have good prices because they buy all the stuff that reputable grocers don't want to carry

Many of the 'Kirkland' branded products are name brands. Many of the Kirkland products are rated very highly by independent testers like Consumer Reports.

Costco's limited shelf space allows them to have manufacturers compete over pricing. Costco gets to dictate the packaging as well. In addition, they have an average of a 10% markup on their products due to this and lower overhead than others.

The manchego cheese changed in the last few years. Some say it has improved and some say it has gotten worse. They did change their vendor though. So there's no guarantee of long-term consistency in products although many of them are as they were 10 years ago.
>>
>>7457721
They also carry some of the best meat and produce around outside of specialty shops and butchers.
>>
>>7457674
You just want to be condescending, it's obvious you've never actually shopped regularly at costco. It is well known their quality/price ratio is better than most chains as well as product selection. Obviously there are many factors to their business model, the fact is, the cheese is better and cheaper than the chain grocers where I live and that's costco's goal. You should probably not voice an opinion on things you have never tried.
>>
>>7457729
>You should probably not voice an opinion on things you have never tried.
If no one ever did that on this board, 3/4 of the posting on this board would never happen.
>>
>>7457674
>that whole chicken bit
Man, that is a crock of shit. Costco always wants the chickens to be fresh, hell, even any unsold chicken that hits the 2 hour mark sitting there is to be taken off to be used in the chicken salad and replaced with new chickens.
>>
>>7457756
>If no one ever did that on this board, 3/4 of the posting on this board would never happen.

implying this is a bad thing.
>>
>>7457767
Agreed.

Interesting article:
http://time.com/money/3901655/costco-rotisserie-chickens-hot-dogs/
>>
>>7457322
>I have this Reserve Blend from Kosmos Q
Throw it away, it isnt even food, hydrolyzed soy proteins dont belong on or in prime grade meat.
>>
>>7457769
Never said it was a bad thing, but if that happened this board would end up being so slow they would probably delete it due to lack of interest.

Come to think of it, that may not necessarily be a bad thing either.
>>
>>7457721
I am like the most pretentious person I know and even I can't deny the quality of Kirkland products. The only things I refuse to get at Costco are meat (local grass-fed, grass-finished beef and heritage chickens only), eggs, milk and honey. The only reason is that I'm an asshole. Their bagged kale is great and all of the cheese I've tried have been good too.
>>
>>7454555
Hi, reddit!
>>
>>7458082
Hi b8!
>>
>>7458054

All the grocery stores around here have crap beef / meat compared to Costco.

Some of the NY strips you buy at the grocery are just terrible shoe leather. But Costco is tender and has great flavor.
>>
I've got an 8 lb brisket brining in the fridge to make corned beef for St. Patricks day.. Anyone ever try this?
>>
>>7458138
I usually just buy a pre-brined one. But I've been really interested in making my own Pastrami, which is the same process more or less.
>>
>>7458157
Pastrami is exactly the same process when it comes to the brining. It's corned beef which is then covered with spices and smoked after it's been brined.
>>
>>7458157

Pastrami is a brined and smoked brisket.

Usually if I buy a brined brisket I use it to make boiled dinner, which is boiled brisket with red potato and cabbage.

When I say boiled I mean simmered. And recently I have been doing it sous vide for 36 hours.

Brined or cured brisket is only good for boiled Scottish style dinner. Or for making Pastrami. Which is smoked brisket that has been cured.

Not the same as a fresh beef brisket that has been just rubbed and smoked.
>>
I am actually having boiled / sous vide corned beef for dinner tonight. With red potato and green beans with pancetta bacon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n37coNIztq4

Before I was into Sous Vide I used to simmer them for about 4 or 5 hours. But now I cook them at 174f for 36-48 hours

When you do them sous vide they have a more intense corned beef flavor.
>>
>>7456332
You're not fucked. Braise it slow in a covered dish in the oven, or cure it for corned beef.
>>
>>7457584
>Fresh Market
Do you live in the midwest? I've only seen one here and didn't realize it was a chain.
>>
>>7458408
No I'm in florida, I've seen them in georgia as well, not sure how far north they go.
>>
>>7458437
Ah. The nearest one to me is in Fort Wayne, IN. Their prices are high, but the service is always pretty good, and they carry some "niche" stuff that I can't find here, like Moxie and Orangina. Fucking Ohio and not having New England drinks. I miss living in VT, sometimes.
>>
>>7458445
Their service varies from location to location where I live unlike publix. The guy in the seafood department didn't know the difference between wet and dry pack scallops, they had shitty wet ones. The meat department people are always lazy as fuck too. For awhile they were the only ones besides costco and butchers that had prime beef but they got rid of it because apparently people weren't buying it.
>>
>>7455746

Welcome to Costco! enjoy your shopping trip stockpotfag.
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.