[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do I never see anyone here using one of these? Is there an
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 4
File: Garlic_Press_and_Garlic.jpg (74 KB, 800x550) Image search: [Google]
Garlic_Press_and_Garlic.jpg
74 KB, 800x550
Why do I never see anyone here using one of these? Is there an upside to chopping garlic vs. crushing it?
>>
You can crush garlic with a knife too.
>>
Chopping is easier and requires no special tool. With that said I like how much flavor crushed garlic brings out.
>>
I always chop mine and give it a press with the flat aide of the knife but i guess crushing the whole thing might make it melt better into the dish and not have little pieces everywhere.
Be good for sneaking it into dishes like really really fine diced onion.
>>
less cell damage if you chop it. the more cell damage, the more pungent the garlic is, and the more oxidation that makes it taste like ass.

i don't generally favour a garlic crusher but i'm not autistically opposed to it.
>>
It's less convenient than learning to do it proper with a knife.
>>
>>7454259

no it isn't

you're like those fags who say you can peel a potato better with a paring knife

no you can't
>>
>>7454259
Not at all. Buy garlic press, put garlic in, smush. Literally requires one brain cell.
>>
>>7454268
That's fine for one or two cloves but eventually a layer of fiber will be stuck and clog up the thing, making it messy. Not to mention it's a hassle to clean.
>>
>>7454272

not if you've got a decent dishwasher
>>
How do you feel about a garlic grinder plate?
https://youtu.be/wH-XOl2Trvg
>>
>>7454272
Honestly i let mine dry out and then just brush the dried garlic out. It's thin and flakes off easy. Garlic is an antibacterial/antifungal so it's not gonna be dirty or anything
>>
I have a $6 Ikea crusher and it's great. Mincing garlic is miserable
>>
>>7454230
I had one when I first started cooking for real. After awhile, my knife skills got good enough that it just seemed like a waste of time so I gave it to Goodwill with a bunch of other crap that I never used anymore.
>>
I have mixed opinions on mine.
Unless your knife skills suck it's a waste of time when dealing with large quantities of garlic
Pretty good for juicing ginger though
>>
>>7454282
I don't see what advantage that offers you over a traditional zester
>>
>>7454267
Hahaha wtf?
With a proper knife you should easily be able to do that. It would be autistic and much, much slower, but it is definitely possible.
How bad is your knifing, anon? You know you can find local cooking classes, right?
They're actually pretty fun if you're not a know-it-all autist.
I'm not accusing you of being a know it all, just to be clear, but if you actually are then yeah you probably can't handle relaxed atmosphere classes.
>>
>>7454811

>hahaha wtf
>of course you can peel a potato better with a paring knife if you have a proper knife and knifing skills
>it would just be autistic and much, much slower

Not the person you responded to, but that's literally what you just said.
>>
>>7454267
>>7454811
I use a peeler, but there are restaurants that still use paring/turning knives for this.

There are people who can peel faster with a knife, they just aren't common.
>>
I've never used one. I hear bad things about it, however.

I do run garlic through my grater from time to time, though.
>>
>>7454811
>garlic grinder plate
you are bringing /b/ attitude in here...
>>
>>7454230
Just dig up some wild garlic. It's pretty strong you'll only need a tiny bit & no need for fancy gadgets.
>>
>>7454844

>There are people who can peel faster with a knife

this could only be true if they were somehow fucking shit with a peeler
>>
Fucking hated that thing. My mom would press garlic with it, then toss it in the dish washer and make all of the dishes smell like garlic after a cycle.
>>
>>7454230
Portability. When you constantly have to pack all your belongings in a couple bags and fly across the world, it helps to not have a heavy steel unitasker

Also garlic is great practice for knife skills
>>
>>7454239
You can turn garlic into paste with a knife.
>>
>>7454887
do you work in high volume kitchens that prepare from scratch? You'd be more likely to run into them. Not that anon, but I've definitely run across knife peeling kings. A couple sous and and saucier at one of my old kitchens were super enthusiastic about it, and always used to race each other.
I remember one time, we were hired to do a big catering event - We had to peel something like 600 lbs of potatoes. So about 9ish of us gathered around with our peelers, but we made even time with those three using their fucking paring knives. It was pretty embarrassing. And to be fair, we had a few first-kitchen part timers on our side, but even so...

On the subject of garlic, though: it's my experience that (if you have some decent knife skills) if you're preparing in bulk, the knife is about 10ish % faster and gives you more control over the surface/volume ratio.
>>
>>7455007

they would be faster using a peeler. it's just a better tool for the job.
>>
>>7455011
the sun is brown
>>
>>7455011
Top kek. You are the king of unsubstantiated statements.
>>
>>7454230
Different techniques lead to different levels of flavor intensity. Just use what is appropriate to what you are cooking.
>>
>>7455023

like anyone itt is any better. peelers are designed to peel. is it any wonder they are good at it?
>>
>>7454245
>less cell damage if you chop it. the more cell damage, the more pungent the garlic is, and the more oxidation that makes it taste like ass.

This.

A fine mince using a knife always tastes better then crushing it, grating it, or using a press. Crushing it imparts a flavor characteristic that's nasty.
>>
>>7454230
That reminds me of this play-doh hairdressing set my sister had
>>
>>7455064
Do you really think you're going to convince anybody without providing any supporting argumentation? If yes, then you're a dumbass. If no, then you're a low grade troll.
>>
>>7454230
> Is there an upside to chopping garlic vs. crushing it?

Yes. The more you crush garlic, the "stronger" and more bitter it gets. If you are looking for a nice, mellow garlic flavor, you should chop the garlic. IDGAF whatever famous chef/food personality says it fine to use a garlic press, I've been cooking both professionally and daily at home for 30 years, and I threw out my garlic press about 25 years ago. It's about being able to control the amount of garlic strength you want in your dish. Using a garlic press removes that control.
>>
>>7455082

i don't see any supporting argumentation on the other side, just an anecdotal assertion. on the other hand, i just made the argument that peelers are designed for the purpose of peeling.
>>
>>7455092
a rube goldberg machine is designed to wake you up, but theres not many of those around
>>
>>7455098

it's designed to perform a task in a complicated and inefficient fashion.
>>
File: 161270.jpg (9 KB, 210x210) Image search: [Google]
161270.jpg
9 KB, 210x210
Because I buy my garlic already minced
>>
>>7455103
thereby hilighting the fallacy of your own logic. the state of having been designed does not imply it has any superiority in performing a certain task.
>>
>>7455098

not that guy, but you're insane.. i wonder how much extra product they waste by using a knife.

there's no way you can peel a potato both as quickly AND efficiently as using a peeler
>>
>>7455112

it's designed and marketed as a tool for simplifying the task, not as an amusing exercise in overengineering. like a knife, it has a blade, but this basic idea has been adapted for the specific purpose of peeling.
>>
I love garlic so I enjoy fucktons of it crushed on my vegetables and stuff. It's a gud tool. Mashing garlic with a knife is a hassle.
>>
>>7455123
the state of having been designed does not imply it has any superiority in performing a certain task.
>>
>>7455135

not in and of itself, no. but that's not my argument.
>>
>>7455118
We actually ended up hitting our par exactly for the calculated yield. Produced almost exactly as many portions as we should have if we were all using peelers.Of course, we had to go around and do quality control, but their spuds weren't significantly worse than ours in terms of missed spots. There were a couple injuries among them, but that's just life in a kitchen.
They had all been working in bulk kitchens which used a lot of potatoes, and had decades of experience doing it. I'll grant you that these guys are a statistical anomaly, and it probably isn't worth investing the thousands of hours necessary to take the skill to their level.
>>
>>7454230
i personally almost always chop mine, mainly because i use my knife on other stuff anyways so i don't need to get more things to wash.
>>
>>7454259
this.
the same goes for rice cookers. you have to be literally autistic to thing a rice cooker is needed or even useful.
>>
>>7454923
dude it is literally like 1 inch long in the cylinder. What are you even talking about? That isn't an onion in the photo. It is garlic. You put a clove through it. The handles are like 3 inches long and the part you see coming out is a clove that is like 1 inch by 1/2 inch at most. Nice made up story, though.
>>
>>7455181
Rice cookers are about labour saving and convenience. Can I put a pot of rice on the stove and tell it to be ready in the morning for when I wake up?
>>
>>7455181

Please instruct on how to make rice proper with a knife, master.
>>
>>7455203
just slice up the grains into itty bitty pieces and soak them in sake and take a whole lot of prescription pills and cook them for 20 mins. Come on dude. Same exact thing as a rice cooker. Don't even know why they invented them there things. Waste of space, you know what I mean?!
>>
File: 51uy65UDlyL.jpg (49 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
51uy65UDlyL.jpg
49 KB, 450x450
whoa!

now I don't have to:

>waste my fucking time
>get garlic paper all over the fucking kitchen
>get garlic juice all over my fucking hands
>don't have to brag about my fucking knife skills on /ck/
>>
>>7455330
but how do you validate yourself if you don't brag about your knife skills?
>>
>>7455330

it tastes really really bad though, and it's swimming in water full of tiny particles which is just not a good thing when those particles burn easily
>>
>>7455196
sure, labour saving because it's so hard to put water into a normal pot and convenience because it's so hard to wait.
also put on the pot of rice, go take a shower,brush teeth and so on while it's cooking.
>>
>>7455360

it's not the waiting that's the issue, it's the timing and heat control, obviously. i know you're going to attribute those to the skill of the chef, but they are also things that take up your attention. rice cookers do a very effective job of giving you one less part of your meal to worry about, this is inarguable.
>>
>>7455360
or, put on rice cooker, eat rice when I wake up, and go to work. I'm up, showered, and out the door within 10-15 minutes in the mornings. Cooking a couple cups of rice would take 20.

also, >>7455368 this. If I'm cooking a time-efficient meal when I'm prepping against the clock, why would I want to worry about another thing? Anybody can cook rice, but I have better things to do than to cook rice.
>>
>>7455181
it is useful. i can throw rice, potstickers, hardboiled eggs, whatever the fck and it turns its own temp down. mine is also very nonstick so its easy to clean. you guys must have never used either to genuinely be so fucking misguided as to think that neither products dont do their job very, VERY quickly.

garlic presses literally take one actual real life second per clove to mince finely, and no knife skills can ever match that size that fast, you're fucking lying and bullshitting if you think so.

>>7455341
/thread
>>
>>7454230
the upside is a knife isn't a pain in the ass to clean, and it's not really any slower to chop it with a knife, then sprinkle a little salt and take the flat of the knife and "grind" it into paste
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.