[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why don't more people drink cider or mead?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 5
File: 1280x720_apple_cider.jpg (152 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1280x720_apple_cider.jpg
152 KB, 1280x720
Why don't more people drink cider or mead?
>>
Lots of kids drink apple juice.
>>
>>7452022
Because your mom's a whore
>>
i never see it in my local liquor store here in utah.

is it sweet? i imagine it'd be pretty nice if it was super dry.
>>
>>7452022
That stuff is for the wenches
>>
>>7452022
>Mead
Because that's a meme drink for edgelords
>>
Ignorance. I bet 8/10 people have no clue what mead is.
>>
>>7452043
It's a fermented notebook
>>
>>7452035
It can be sweet or dry. I'm planning to brew some dry 10-12% cider next month. Most of the ciders I've tried are fairly dry to medium sweet, but lower in alcohol content.
>>
>>7452040
>mead
>consumed for MILLENNIA
>le reddit fedora meme drink for neckbeards *tips*
>>
Cider is popular in parts of Europe. Mead can be a pain in the ass - it often tastes like crap and a lot of the commerical meads aren't strictly mead, just honey blended with white wine. I made some homebrew mead and it took 2 years for it to not taste like shit.
>>
>>7452059
I suppose we should all go back to eating ants too
>>
>>7452067
It would be better ecologically.
>>
>>7452035

Wait you guys DON'T have mead and cider in your stores? Is it like this in most of the US?
>>
>>7452022
>mead
go back to /tg/ sperglord
>>
>>7452081
There are usually hard ciders sold in most liquor stores. However, most of them are fairly subpar, particularly compared to the recent craft and microbrewery beers. I have tried a few, and the only one that really stands out in my memory would be Red's Wicked Apple Ale, which tastes of metal, alcohol, and sadness.
>>
>>7452050
top zozzle
>>
>>7452079
Can you not be SUCH an edgelord
>>
>>7452022
which country are you in?

drink loads here in the uk
>>
>>7452035
I used to live in SLC, and the wine store on 250 S 300 E always had mead. They've only got like two brands though, and both have a regular and strawberry variant, if you're particularly interested in trying out mead.

For me, it doesn't do much on account of the alcohol content. I drank the entire bottle of it once in a pretty short amount of time, and hardly felt anything. I also think it's too sweet and mulling it is too much of a pain in the ass.
>>
>>7452120
gay ass brits drinkin all those loads
>>
>>7452130
Coming from the American child.
>>
File: Chaucers_mead.jpg (319 KB, 507x1620) Image search: [Google]
Chaucers_mead.jpg
319 KB, 507x1620
>>7452122
Here is the most popular mead brand they sold there, I believe. Tastes pretty much like you would expect honey wine to taste.
>>
>>7452141
>Jerk yourself faster Nigel, I'm parched!
>>
>>7452120
So in the uk it's pretty normal to have cider in a bar instead of beer? just wondering
>>
>>7452171
No beer is always dominant. I've only been to 1 bar that's known for cider and even there there was as much beer as there was cider.
>>
>>7452177
>UK
>No beer is always dominant

Depends on where you are. Here in Bristol any pub without at least two ciders on tap is going out of business. Hell, even the hipster Beer Emporium were forced to put a couple of boxes of cider at the back of the bar.

London though? Yeah you're fucked for decent cider in general (although it can be found, and I have, but it takes effort. Or you hope the Cider Tap at Euston doesn't have more than 3 people in it already)
>>
>>7452162
Chaucer's is shit though.
>>
>>7452227
Yeah, well, it's what they had. I also had some mead that some guy made himself. From what I could tell, he was pretty competent. His homemade stuff was better, and wasn't nearly as sweet, but on the whole, not that much better. Marginal improvement at best.
>>
>>7452081
An Americlap friend I have said it's seasonal but he's an autist so maybe he doesn't notice Cider.
Every pub has it on tap and in bottles here, hot cider is seasonal though
>>
>>7452081
Cider isn't in every bar, but most with more than 2 or 3 beers will have it.
As far as gas stations or grocery stores I've never seen one that hasn't had at least 1 type of (admittedly shitty) cider.

Mead, however, is much less common. Unless you're at a renaissance festival or something you won't often come across it.
>>
>>7452171
Every pub has cider, and a large proportion of people I know prefer it to beer. That changes a lot if I drink with people closer to 30 though, they definitely go for beer.
>>
Mead isn't widely available in most places and it's usually more expensive than grape wine for the quality.
>>
>>7452096
>reduce our impact on the environment
>edgy
not even the guy you're responding to but can you not shitpost so much?

I guess I can see how it SEEMS fedora-tier, but where I live in BC loads of people keep bees and so mead is more of a hipster thing teebee h family
>>
>>7452293
hard cider is ok, but I can think of better uses for fruit, like fruit wines

>>7452317
it is easy as fuck to make though, if you're interested in that sort of thing,
>>
>>7452043
>>7452043
its like beer but made from honey right?
>>
new england here
cider is everywhere
almost every bar will have at least one on tap
considering how valuable tap space has become with the craft beer revolution, that's kind of crazy.
liqour stores will stock four or five different brands, and we have expensive stuff now too
i've seen citizen cider go for 12 bucks a 4 pack.
of course you can still get woodchuck for cheap, I've seen it as cheap as 2 for three bucks for tallboys.

but for many people, drinking too much cider will cause you to shit water. and if you're getting really faced, and you're in a place with a line for the bathroom.
it can get messy. so while people drink cider, its not going to replace beer.

all the mead I've ever had has been sickly sweet AND expensive. It would be great if it was dry and boozy. Maybe someday, for now I'll keep a bottle on hand for desserts. Mead ice cream sounds good.
>>
>>7452081
In liquor stores around me there's probably 8 different domestic ciders and maybe 4 imported ones.

>>7452093
Redd's Apple Ale isn't cider. The name makes that pretty apparent.
>>
File: 1446509391784.jpg (34 KB, 170x170) Image search: [Google]
1446509391784.jpg
34 KB, 170x170
>>7452050
>>
>>7452320
>being a mead drinking bee keeper
Hipsters have truly out done themselves.
>>
Because if it's good its priced pretty highly. Otherwise its shit. And meads just expensive either way, and usually always shit.

Wine isn't any different really. Most of the wine people drink is complete shit sweet grape juice. How often would you see someone by a dry riseling? Not nearly as often as they by a redcat or a box of franzia.
>>
I find it gross. But i guess people who like growers think beers gross so. Whatayagonnado
>>
>>7452265
>but most with more than 2 or 3 beers will have it
you have bars with a single beer?
>>
>>7452387
the bar in my kitchen only has one beer. It's not even a proper bar because I can't help but drink all the spirits as soon as I buy them I'm such and idiot.
>>
I would drink more cider if it werent so sweet. Here in Wyoming I can't find a brand that isn't about 27 grams of sugar peer beer
>>
File: images.jpg (23 KB, 235x627) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
23 KB, 235x627
What's a good cider? I've mostly been drinking strongbows, but everything else I've tried tastes like lolly water.
>>
if you can see through it its not cider
>>
>>7452081
there are plenty of places to buy mead and cider near me, but i can't really speak to the authenticity of the mead. i bought it once and it was just very sweet honey-wine. is that all it's supposed to be
>>
>>7452726
i like magners, but your best bet is to find something local
>>
>>7452726
90% of cider is shit, even most of the stuff in the UK despite them memeing about it all the time.

So for half-decent cider my best suggestion is look for the closest cidery near you and buy from them. Theres a good chance it will be a bit pricey, but they might also have some decent dry stuff.

Theres also the option of finding a place you can by (non-hard cider) from, and fill a 5 gallon bucket you can buy from any appliance store. They're food grade but they don't advertise it, and a LOT cheaper than actual foodgrade ones. Or buy one with a spigot from any homebrewing shop which I've actually done because I love having a spigot. Toss a packet of champagne yeast in there (also easily findable at any homebrew shop, or really any wineyeast), and ferment that shit for a month or two.

Make some sort of airlock It can be wicked shitty or advanced, it doesn't really matter. I know some guys who just drape a thick layer of cloth with a board on top of it. The first I made when I was like 14 I poked a whole in the lid with a knife, put a tube in it and used caulk to seal it up and put the other end in a smaller bowl or bucket of water.

>>7452775
>but your best bet is to find something local
100% correct
>>
>>7452022
cider is very popular in the UK

I personally hate the taste
>>
File: martinellis.jpg (21 KB, 219x326) Image search: [Google]
martinellis.jpg
21 KB, 219x326
>>7452022

Mead is honey-wine that tastes like fucking cough syrup unless you mull it.

Cider tastes like hard apple juice.

Why would you group the two together?
>>
>>7452829
I'm assuming because they're both relatively uncommon and unpopular non-distilled alcoholic beverages in many parts of the United States.
>>
>>7452837

That's a pretty broad category dude.
>>
I live in apple country. It's usually shit except during apple season. Local apple farm cider is the best during fall.
>>
>>7452856
What other non-distilled alcoholic beverages are uncommon/unpopular in parts of the US and ALSO the rest of the world?

No I don't give a shit about your shitty kvass or kombucha. Thats just hipster shit or stuff old russians and chinks drink
>>
>>7452870

sounds like projection man
>>
>>7452886
How? I'm asking a question and I make kombucha myself, so yeah it is projecting but not in the way you memed
>>
>>7452829
>Mead is honey-wine that tastes like fucking cough syrup unless you mull it.
That is just incredibly wrong. The problem is idiots that have no clue about mead *expect* it to taste like alcoholic honey, so people have started to make just that to market to those idiots.
Mead can be sweet, same as any wine, but it can also be bone dry. And it should have the notes of honey, but in no way actually taste (in the overly sweet sense) like honey, because that is not how fermentation works.

As for cider, it too does not necessarily taste like that, but most US microbrew ciders are targeted at women and faggots who like things sickeningly sweet.
>>
>>7452938
>bone dry mead
have you actually had bone dry mead? Its disgustingly bitter, and not in a tanniny way
>>
>>7452022

Everyone likes cider. Our bodies are biologically wired to prefer sweeter drinks like cider over shit like beer. But guys don't want to seem "girly" for liking sugary drinks so they pretend to enjoy bitter beer or whiskey.
>>
>>7452955
Not all ciders are sweet.
>>
>>7452022
I've been drinking cider for around 2 years since being diagnosed with Celiac. I like the variety of flavors and fruits you can have, but I mostly stick with Woodchuck green apple.

I've found that Red's tastes like yeasty ass and tin. But I do want to find other brands that are easily accessible.
>>
>>7452081
northeastern US here. cider is goddamn everywhere. none of the social stigma on it that apparently exists in some flyover states.
>>
>>7452970
Redd's is not cider and it's not gluten free.
>>
>>7452022
>Why don't more people drink cider or mead?
Preference. It's a little sweet/cloying after more than one, and it has less options for food pairing.
>>
>>7452948
Yeah, I make tons of mead at home. Bone dry isn't my preference, but I prefer it markedly to the dry side.

I've made some awesome strawberry cyser (honey, cider, strawberries) that was wonderfully tannic. Probably because I left the strawberries and seeds in so long.

I usually add strong black tea to my mead when it's brewing too, to add tannins.
>>
>>7452955
Not everybody likes super sweet drinks. I can't stand a lot of ciders because of the sickening sweetness.

I much prefer bitter and tart flavors, have ever since I was a kid.
>>
>>7452022
the stuff available in stores is too sweet, people expect it to be as sweet as apple juice or sugar. also, people in USA think fruit or honey based drinks are for women for some reason, limiting their popularity. i make mead sometimes, it's nice when it's dry and with a little ginger.
>>
>>7452998
>sugar
honey*
>>
>>7452998
>people in USA think fruit or honey based drinks are for women for some reason
Because that is how they are marketed.
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.