[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Need some more help... sorry
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 8
File: california_grill.jpg (219 KB, 1000x794) Image search: [Google]
california_grill.jpg
219 KB, 1000x794
I have picked up all of this. Did i leave anything out.
a wolfgang puck garnishing kit
Mercer Culinary 18-8 Stainless Steel Saucier Spoon with Tapered Spout, 8-1/2-Inch
Winco FST-6 6.5-Inch Blade Fish Spatula
Ateco Natural Wood Small Sized Spatula, 4.5 Inch Blade
a cheap
Chef Sushi Santoku Knife
Dexter-Russell P94813 Fillet Knife
Victorinox below
1 shaping knife
: 3-1/4-inch Parer
5-inch Curved Boning
8-inch Bread
10-inch Meat Slicer,
10-inch Chef's,
10-inch Honing Steel
>>
what pan you using
>>
File: Prawns.jpg (100 KB, 550x408) Image search: [Google]
Prawns.jpg
100 KB, 550x408
>>7451622
what else do i need for classical french. I am a line cook and i will be doing exbo or cold apps with detailed plating.
>>
>>7451632
hmm?
>>
>>7451622
>>
>>7451634
how will you sharpen all that steel?
>>
>>7451656
KitchenIQ 50009 Edge Grip 2 Stage Knife Sharpener, Black
sorry forgot the item.
>>
>>7451622

i mean why would you buy all that if you're going to work cold side? what do you planb on using a fish spatula or wood spatula?

tapered spout spoons are bullshit. however, a nice, well-balanced suacing spoon is invaluable.

the only knives you need are an 8" chef's knife, a boning/utility knife, and maybe a paring and bread knife. maybe.

you forgot to buy yourself a nice peeler and also a mandolin because fuck using the house mandolin since it's usually dull and really dangerous.

what is the garnishing kit? why dopn't you have any sharpening stones?

>>7451655

those wood platters are baller, great for charcuterie. we use them often.
>>
>>7451685
what stones would i need i though the 2 stage knife sharpener would be enough....
Which mandolin would you suggest?

the kit includes
julienne peeler,
swivel peeler,
small melon baller,
medium melon baller,
zester,
channel knife,
butter curler,
apple corer, Will be working with a lot of apples.
fine grater,
>>
>>7451685
>>
>>7451712

oh, that actually sounds like a fantastioc purchase for what you're about to be doing.

those kinds of sharpeners tend to do a shitty job of sharpening and they're rough on the knifes. it's lazy.

http://www.amazon.com/Whetstone-Cutlery-Two-Sided-Stone/dp/B0055B2RGO/ref=zg_bs_553346_3

that would work well
>>
>>7451740
on the list of items what would i most likely not need.
Victorinox below is a kit
1 shaping knife
5-inch Curved Boning
8-inch Bread
10-inch Meat Slicer,
10-inch Chef's,
10-inch Honing Steel
>>
>>7451712

also, this is hands down the best spoon on the market. i know some mouthbreather is going to comment saying "$you paid $20 for a spoon? what are you, retarded?", but it's probably my most used piece of equipment after my 8" chef's knife and kitchen towels.

basting, saucing, flipping things in pans, eating cereal, whatever. it's extremely well balanced and feels perfect in the hands.
>>
>>7451752

oops, i'm high i forgot to post the link to the spoon

https://www.etundra.com/restaurant-dining-room/flatware/serving-utensils/jb-prince-u715-9-inch-sauce-spoon/?scid=scplp11608338&catargetid=320013490001158663&cadevice=c&gclid=CjwKEAiAjfq2BRDpmdHmssaW5xsSJABToP4lvj4BRmDXDM9twU2h0HtmVLK9Qp74cL0FDICpptVGGRoCnN7w_wcB

dude just spend $200 or whatever on an 8" chef knife. i like japanese steel so i'd probably go for that if you're gonna go for a single knife. if you want a kit, go with something like sabatier or henckel because victorinox are bullshit with their plastic handles and they feel like shit in your hands.
>>
>>7451752
which spoon?
>>
>>7451764
i have a 300 dollar budget right now. What knives would you say and with that which model of that knife. because i know every company has the house wive set and the culinary set.
As of right now I have nothing.
>>
>>7451764
http://www.amazon.com/ZHEN-Japanese-5-Piece-3-Layer-Cutlery/dp/B00GME7JQG/ref=sr_1_20?s=power-hand-tools&ie=UTF8&qid=1457471697&sr=1-20&keywords=henckel

would you suggest this?
>>
>>7451764
or what. would you say?
>>
>>7451622
Oh, hey. It's you again. I'm the anon who explained my kit last night.
Glad to hear you were able to pick up what you needed. Sounds like you picked up a pretty decent kit.
Hope everything works out well for you in the new job, broham.
>>
>>7451834
thanks brother for your help last night !!! just cutting and adding as i go.
>>
>>7451812

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/miyabi-birchwood-sg2/chefs-knife-p126657?gclid=CjwKEAiAjfq2BRDpmdHmssaW5xsSJABToP4lpekoDc7xF4aHHuHtdXd7DSeLmbUtfN0HgWW-N_g6QRoCB07w_wcB

i'd buy that if i were going to spend ~$200 on a knife. i use a shun 8" chef's knife i got at williams sonoma (you get 20% off if you're industry) and i love it, i think i paid like $140 or so.

i love the wooden D-shaped handle, but if you're left handed you might want to look into getting a knife that is for left handed people even if it has a double beveled edge.

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/henckels-bob-kramer-carbon-steel/chefs-knife-p123477?gclid=CjwKEAiAjfq2BRDpmdHmssaW5xsSJABToP4lG5l0pT1bvW8NiIg_-1mv7GlOAjV_pIiglA48vzTbgRoCidHw_wcB

a dude at work has that exact bob kramer and it's pretty great. i'm used to teh sleeker design of the japanese style knives, but if you like a bigger more substantial feeling blade then that one is great.

i would recommend not skimping on purchasing a good chefc's knife right off the bat because it's something you're going to use forever, and every single day you're at work.
>>
>>7451834
so far this is what i am at. I am looking at other things besides the knife kit but budget wise i dont thing i can change it. not yet !!!
Cangshan D Series 59168 German Steel Forged Santoku Knife, 7-Inch

Easylife Ho-0696 Stainless Steel Lemon Grater Zester with Channel Knife

Victorinox 7-Piece Fibrox Handle Cutlery Set with Black Canvas Knife Roll
5-inch Curved Boning
8-inch Bread
10-inch Meat Slicer,
10-inch Chef's,
10-inch Honing Steel
Super Glue Corp/pacer Tech SGH24J, 4 Pack (4-0.07oz/2g, total 0.28oz/8g)

Whetstone Cutlery Two-Sided Whetstone Stone
J.B. Prince U715 S/S Chef Gray Kunz Sauce Spoon

Wolfgang Puck 10-piece Garnishing Set in Orange
the kit includes
julienne peeler,
swivel peeler,
small melon baller,
medium melon baller,
zester,
channel knife,
butter curler,
apple corer, Will be working with a lot of apples.
fine grater,
>>
>>7451842
No worries, broham. Always willing to help out a fellow kitchen slave.
If you don't mind me asking, what kind of cash did you drop for all that? Sounds like you're pretty serious about your new job.
>>
>>7451855
I cant afford to get a 200 dollar chef knife for a few weeks. budget wont allow it sadly :(

but that first knife i have held before and is a purchase down the road after i work this promotion for a few weeks.
>>
>>7451862
$242.40 i found most of it on sales on amazon. and having prime already helps a lot.
>>
>>7451874

then just buy a $90 wusthof and call it a day. wait til you're able to checkl out other people's knives to see what feels best to you, then buy your real deal knife next.

desu there's no reason to have a whole set of knives you never use. maybe cop a $40-$50 paring knife as well, but i find almost anything you can do with a paring knife you can do with a chef's knife just as well.
>>
>>7451884
>7451884
thanks I actually was going to ask about the wusthofs. I found them for a good price with a good handle ive held before.
>>
>>7451884
I will be picking up that Miyabi Birchwood SG2 Chef's Knife in a few weeks 100% and I got the other items you suggested. I have bookmarked everything else and added to my must buy folders when i get the money. Thank you for your help!!!! And I cant wait to post on here next week about how the job goes!!!!
>>
>>7451898

sweet, man. hopefully everything works out for you.

good work ethic will get you further than having all the right tools for every specific situation. go help wash dishes if you've got nothing to do, go clean out and organize the walk in, move a low boy out and scrub/clean the floor under it and the inside itself. clean burners on the range after service if nobody does, etc.

all that shit will be more impressive to an employer than having a flashy knife (regardless of how badass it is). being prepared is great, but you also don't want to be "that guy" who is a bigtime tryhard who has all the cool toys but is lazy as fuck.
>>
File: IMAG0352.jpg (3 MB, 3264x1840) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0352.jpg
3 MB, 3264x1840
>>7451914
thanks. I have been a cook for 7 months for disney. I have gone threw 3 promotions now, and this whole situation wasnt supposed to happen. I was supposed to go open a new location on property and ended up the computer system that does the transfers fucked up and i ended up with the most amazing opportunity of my life as a starting out cook. my chefs have told me with my work ethic and how fast I have been learning and moving up they dont see me slowing down anytime soon.

And to think a year ago i was out lifting logs and building tiki huts in the florida summer sun for 9 hours a day and smashing concrete.

Honestly cooking has become the greatest change and most enjoyable and stressful time in my life. I guess honestly everything happens for a reason in the world.
>>
>>7451914
every cook should work the dish pit some point in there life i feel. I do it when ever some one calls out just for extra hours.
>>
>>7451944

same career path here. did tree removal for a couple years, framed drywall, also landscaping. fucked my back up ad the kitchen thing just kinda worked out because it's labor, which i enjoy, but it's not hard manual labor. plus it lets you be creative and make cool looking things. i think it's fun to present food in a way where somebody's not sure exactly what they're looking at but they know they want it in their mouths (and it has to taste fantastic first and foremost, obviously)

i'd kill myself in a cubicle. i miss working outside when it's nice, though.
>>
>>7451989
could not agree more with everything you said! I go by the handle gbblarg on here normally so and for he past 7 months ive been on here none stop.
>>
>>7451880
Wow, broham. That's a pretty good price. Care to share a picture of all your new goodies? I'm always interested to see other people's gear.
>>
>>7452108

i'm the other dude in the thread but here's my station.. not pictured a deep fryer, 4 burner range, french flat top, and convection oven.. it gets busy.
>>
File: FVvgJWE.jpg (11 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
FVvgJWE.jpg
11 KB, 320x240
>>7452131
>>
>>7452136
Nice. I love seeing working kitchen pictures on /ck/. So much better than a fucking Jack thread webm.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.