[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you guys keep your kitchen full of chicken stock? I use
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5
File: 220.jpg (19 KB, 220x220) Image search: [Google]
220.jpg
19 KB, 220x220
How do you guys keep your kitchen full of chicken stock? I use this because my mom taught me to use it, but now I find it way too salty for any practical use. Boxed? Homemade?

>inb4 Korr Stock Pots
>>
>>7448261
I don't know man, just like, make it fresh every time you need it?
Don't use Knorr it's full of shit.
>>
File: better than boullion beef.jpg (45 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
better than boullion beef.jpg
45 KB, 400x400
>>7448261
Pic related but the chicken version. I also make it when whole chickens go on sale.
>>
File: 1158430709450.jpg (64 KB, 450x334) Image search: [Google]
1158430709450.jpg
64 KB, 450x334
>need stock
>retrieve stock cubes or powder from pantry
>add water into pot with stock cubes or power
>heat
>wait until stock cube or powder dissolves to form stock
>try really REALLY fucking hard to not be retarded next time
>like super hard to not be retarded
>next time
>hopefully
>>
i can my own

did a vegetable stock out of scraps i'd been saving in the freezer last week
>>
>make your own stock
>fill an ice-cube bag when lukewarm/room temp
>put in fridge
>every now and then when you need it, break off two cubes into the saucepan
>melt and stir
>benefits
>>
>>7448267
I both make it fresh when I need it as well as use stock cubes/powder when I want to. They needn't be mutually exclusive options.
I also make a gallon of stock from time to time and freeze in 1cup portions.
>>
>>7448267
>>7448316
I just find myself needing stock more often than my frequency of eating chicken. i guess >>7448330 and >>7448270
is what I'll go with. Thanks!
>>
>>7448261
Better Than Bouillon Paste.

Always the best substitute if you're not making it yourself. Also, add a spoonful to the stock you do make to add a little backbone.
>>
>>7448261
Buy a damn pressure cooker, one that doesn't vent, not like the old types that rattle and vent steam. Kuhn Rikon or Fissler model do not vent, yea they cost over $100 for a good size one, but they don't vent and you can easily make stock from left over chicken bones once a week and not stink up the house, plus you'll have left over drumsticks, breast & wings to cook whenever and save money.

Learn how to cut up a whole chicken

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEJSHRSJCn8

Add enough water to cover the whole dead bird carcass, you could get creative and add some salt, celery, onion pepper, carrots bay-leaves etc. you need some acid to help extract more flavor from the chicken bones efficiently like tomato, so add a whole one. Cook it on high pressure for 45minutes, strain it store it in jars in the freezer, the fat will float to the top when frozen, don't use it, it's weird tasting.

I do it once in a while, and it beats cubes, takes some time to cut up the chicken, but you get a nice clean broth, save money and use parts of the chicken you'd normally throw out.
>>
I made my own stock for the first time very recently and it's pretty good, but I'm not exactly how long it lasts in the fridge. Should I freeze it ASAP or can it last a few weeks? I'm not going to be able to use it all anytime soon.
>>
>>7450152
A week in the fridge and six months in the freezer. I just freeze it in different size mason jars. I can grab the amount I need for the dish I'm making. Just make sure you don't clank those things together when they're frozen. They break easy.
>>
>>
>>7450184
Thanks. I've read anywhere from a few days to a few weeks in the fridge so I'm having trouble pinning down a specific amount of time.
>>
>>7450208
With anything that involves meat I think a week in the fridge and six months in the freezer. I generally try to use up refrigerated stuff in a few days though just in case.
>>
>>7448261
I'm too lazy for saving up bones and shit to make stock, so if I'm going to need it I just buy the sodium free boxed stuff. I know it's not ideal and is overpriced but I consider the convenience worth it.
>>
>>7448261
They make less salted version
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.