[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So what's the deal with lobster Is it a delicious meal,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
So what's the deal with lobster
Is it a delicious meal, or disgusting gutter trash? I hear people say both things around here
>>
It's the oldest culinary meme. Literal overrated garbage.
>>
whats the deal with water?

>drink a gallon
>piss a gallon

is it trolling or just some weird gay shit?
>>
>>7446435

atlantic lobster are better than pacific lobster. no one serves butter with atlantic lobster.

that being said, they really are the cockroaches of the ocean. if you knew the nasty shit they used as bait in lobster traps, you would never eat it again.
>>
kinda tastes like alaskan king crab. honestly its pretty much never worth what its sold for
>>
>>7446447
>no one serves butter with atlantic lobster
no.
>nasty shit they bait traps with
mackeral?
>>
In North America, the American lobster did not achieve popularity until the mid-19th century, when New Yorkers and Bostonians developed a taste for it, and commercial lobster fisheries only flourished after the development of the lobster smack,[29] a custom-made boat with open holding wells on the deck to keep the lobsters alive during transport.[30] Prior to this time, lobster was considered a mark of poverty or as a food for indentured servants or lower members of society in Maine, Massachusetts, and the Canadian Maritimes, and servants specified in employment agreements that they would not eat lobster more than twice per week.[31] Lobster was also commonly served in prisons, much to the displeasure of inmates.[32] American lobster was initially deemed worthy only of being used as fertilizer or fish bait, and until well into the 20th century, it was not viewed as more than a low-priced canned staple food.

This is so shocking to me, considering lobster these days is put up there with steak

Does that mean steak could also be absolute shit, or considered such? Does all of our taste come from learned perceptions of what "good" is?
>>
This is just my own uneducated opinion, but lobster taste very similar to crab. One advantage that lobster has over crab is that its meat slides out of its carapace much easier.

Every lobster I've eaten was smooth pulling. Most crabs I've eaten were stuck on the inside, and I would only pull out flakes at a time.
>>
>>7446490
No, lobster and crab taste very different and crab is much better.

>>7446435
People on this board like to pretend that they are smart for knowing a "fun relatively unknown fact" from one of the most popular cracked articles they ever put out. Yes in Maine lobster is extremely plentiful, and the quickest easiest way to prepare it is to boil it to absolute shit with no seasoning so thats how poor people used to eat. The lobster we eat today is not prepared at all in that way.
>>
>>7446573
close. They were serving up dead ones too, which must have tasted vile and caused gallons of diarrhea.

http://www.history.com/news/a-taste-of-lobster-history
>>
I enjoy eating lobster, but it is highly overrated and not worth the price. Once or twice during the summer it is nice to drink some beer and boil up lobsters.
>>
>>7446642
I've never had the lobster, do you suck it or eat with utensils?
>>
File: 1394247803224.gif (174 KB, 500x357) Image search: [Google]
1394247803224.gif
174 KB, 500x357
>>7446447
>no one serves butter with atlantic lobster
>>
>>7446676
Utensils, at least that's how my family and I eat it. Crack it open, use a small fork to get the meat, and dip it in butter before consumption.
>>
>>7446474
More like can it be served correctly, steak is really easy to serve in a palatable way compared with more exotic stuff like livers or lobsters.
>basically lobster would be pleb if we didn't have refridgeration and thus didn't have experience in how to serve it
>oysters used to be cheap plentiful bar food, but pollution and non-costal demand has made them unaffordable
>>
>>7446474

>Does all of our taste come from learned perceptions of what "good" is?

Pretty much

For example animal organs were a staple diet in American cuisine but since the elites ate only muscle the American public began favoring muscle meat also, this change in palate coincided with the rise of canning and refrigeration allowing for easier access to muscle meats. Thus organs began to be primarily used for other things besides the dinner table.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.