[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are my chances of getting legitimate food poisoning from
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5
File: rare-burger.jpg (35 KB, 550x413) Image search: [Google]
rare-burger.jpg
35 KB, 550x413
What are my chances of getting legitimate food poisoning from a burger such as pic related? I've recently gotten into rare burgers. It has been 3 days since eating it and I feel fine so far. Am I in the clear? Has a rare burger ever given you any problems?
>>
>>7445476
If you're feeling good three days later you're most likely in the clear.

as long as the burger reaches a certain temp before you eat it to kill all the bad shit you can eat it as rare as you want.

there will always be an element of risk, but it's usually worth taking if you're educated and want to eat something to your tastes.
>>
Incredibly unlikely, provided the meat was decent quality and freshly ground.
>>
>>7445476
Food poisoning usually hits you pretty fast anon, like I'm talking the same night/next morning.

You're good.
>>
>>7445483
>Incredibly unlikely, provided the meat was decent quality and freshly ground

I believe OP is assuming that is not the case. As in, you buy a pound or two of ground beef from the store. In which case it is neither fresh nor decent quality, unless you had it ground right there in front of you and is from a reputable supplier.

So the answer to that scenario is "don't risk it if you don't have to." If you truly want to eat an undercooked burger, buy an intact piece of meat and grind it yourself.
>>
File: shig.jpg (64 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
shig.jpg
64 KB, 960x960
>>7445488
>>
>>7445476

You'll probably be good as long as it was somewhat cooked. Usually cooking it fast and hot as hell will eliminate the risk of food poisoning as much as possible.

I used to know this chick that would eat beef straight out of the pack at family barbeques and she never got ill (yes she was dumb as a brick for doing that, I'm not advocating it). It's just a game of luck and having a good immune system.
>>
File: 1610263.jpg (23 KB, 500x359) Image search: [Google]
1610263.jpg
23 KB, 500x359
I don't understand why you'd want to eat a burger like that Anon.

Any meat on its own I understand, but a burger? Your bread is going to be soaked in blood.
>>
>>7445490
It takes two days you dip
>>
Last week I bought some burger from my local store. Haven't had made burgers at home in a while. Anyway also had not had food poisoning in a while.

Ate the burger that night and the next day was a total nightmare. Just didn't sit right with me. Next day was also pretty terrible... but by the 3rd day I'm usually over the food poison.

Sometimes it's too rare sometimes it just hits me with something random.

I suggest lots of good fluids and just exercise and treat your body as well as you can
>>
>>7445554
No sorry

I don't know for sure I mean I'm no doctor but in my experience it usually hits me pretty fast ...

In fact thinking about it... I've had more than one case, and yeah there's times it lingers and hits harder later

but other times I have had ingested something and feel discomfort straight afterwards
>>
>>7445554
Yeah I guess I was going from personal experience.

I wasn't aware it could linger longer. My bad.
>>
>>7445476
If it's from a reputable establishment, pretty low. I've eaten plenty of rare burgers and never had an issue.
>>
Your chances are probably pretty high, but difficult to quantify. It's a very stupid thing to eat raw ground beef unless you know that it is safe to eat. Ground beef can be made safer by searing a large intact piece of meat on all sides before cutting and grinding it. The contamination rate for ground beef varies across countries, but for the US, last year Consumer Reports found E. coli and S. aureus in 50-60% of samples, MRSA and C. perfringens in 20%, Salmonella 1%.

Rare typically means not pasteurized, so therefore you would be exposed to these pathogens eventually. They can cause permanent damage to the body, digestive tract and nervous system, so why exactly you would expose yourself to that risk I do not know.
>>
>>7445476
>at a fast food restaurant or with grocery store meat
High, since the meat gets mixed up so much. A single piece that's contaminated could spread microbes to hundreds of pounds of meat
>at a restaurant that grinds small batches, or grinding at home
Low, but possible, especially if the burger is extremely rare
>grinding meat after the outside of the cut was briefly cooked
Virtually none
>>
>>7445476
If you want to reduce your chance of contamination, but your own grinder (hand grinders are pretty cheap at a 2nd hand store) and use a rump roast and add some lard (most groceries caters to Mexicans so they usually stock lard) and keep the lard to meat ratio 80/20 or 70/30 meat to fat content. It's actually cheaper than buying strait ground, and since it isn't combined with a hundred different cattle its safer from contaminents. not 100% safe, but a lot safer since you know your ground is from only one animal.
>>
>>7445639
Why would you use lard instead of beef fat?
>>
>>7445494
this.. i love a bloody burger but grinding it at home with quality meat is a must
>>
>>7445554>>7445573
>>7445585

in most cases it is felt within hours. It is possible but rare to feel it days later.

>>7445476
only thing I have gotten food poisoining from was medium well chicken.
>>
>>7445476

if you buy a quality cut of meat and grind it yourself, your chances are no worse than if you were to eat a rare steak

if you buy ground beef and cook it rare, you need to reevaluate your life decisions
>>
>>7445645
honestly I just use either butter or mayo when I've done this. Kinda odd, I know, but delicious
>>
Just don't do it with pre-ground beef. Get a single cut and grind it yourself. Store-ground beef is always the kind getting recalled.
>>
>>7445476
Rare to medium rare steaks are great, Rare burgers just fall all apart and are not helped in any way texture wise from the minimal amount of cooking. Well done is too far but burgers are definitely much better when they are cooked above your preferred steak temp
>>
Just get your burgers medium (~150 F).

E. Coli., in the most serious cases, can live in 160 F.
Most food safety people say cook your burgers to well done (160 F) because it kills fucking everything (including the flavor of the burger) for this reason.

So if you cook a burger to medium, it'll kill the vast majority of the bacteria.
>>
Enjoy your mushy raw burger and explosive shits
>>
>go to July 4th cookout
>friend is grilling burgers
>he makes them and they're almost as raw as OP's pic
>have to eat them b/c being a nice guest

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
I only get burgers when I eat at nice restaurants because fuck you. I always get medium rare (at not-so-nice restaurants too) and have never gotten sick.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.