[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bugs
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
Could you bring yourself to eat bugs if scientists discovered that a bug-based diet could allow you to live to be 150?

I know the idea of eating bugs is seen as disgusting in western society and I, myself, would vomit if offered a bowl of insects, but I totally wouldn't be surprised if they were nutritious for us to eat.
>>
I've tried mealworms, crickets, ants and grasshoppers and liked none of them.
A local supermarket sells bugs. I'm not sure if I've ever seen anyone actually by any, though. I think I remember a guy getting some, but it could be a false memory.
>>
I would eat bugs if they are cheaper than conventional meat per lbs of protein.
>>
I'm not sure I'd want to survive to be 150 under any circumstances unless I could also remain mentally sharp and physically strong... but if was a matter of survival I'd learn to eat and enjoy insects - until then I have no interest in overcoming my revulsion to the idea.
>>
>>7445282
my specialty store has packs of dried crickets and ive tried them. not very good
>>
>>7445282

I've had crickets before. I don't know if it was the way they were spiced, but they were actually quite sour.
>>
File: fuggin_bugs_man.jpg (171 KB, 1109x621) Image search: [Google]
fuggin_bugs_man.jpg
171 KB, 1109x621
>>7445282
>but I totally wouldn't be surprised if they were nutritious for us to eat.
They are. Mealworms got better macros than beef.
>>
The real taboo with bugs I think boils down to a general stigma that Americans (and westerners in general) have towards eating the non-meat parts of animals.

With the exception of sausage, Americans are generally skeeved out by eating organs. Gizzards, livers, brains, eyes, tongues. Most people are repulsed by these. The same goes for eating shells or bones.

Therein lies the plroblem with insects. Unlike crabs or shrimp, most of them are too small to easily separate the meat. You wind up eating the whole thing guts, shell, and all.

If bugs can be prepared so I don't have to worry that I'm eating the insect's intestines (and their contents), then I think I could adapt pretty easily.
>>
File: bing-klingon-translator.jpg (39 KB, 640x350) Image search: [Google]
bing-klingon-translator.jpg
39 KB, 640x350
>>7445282
ahh finally! a meal fit for an honourable warrior!
>>
>>7445326
I feel like 100 grams of meal worms is a lot
>>
If you minced them, breaded them and deep fried them would I be able to tell the difference?
>>
>>7445330
i Hagh 'd
>>
Mangoworm is delicious.
>>
I don't know what it was but I tried some kind of snail/slug and other bugs in SEA and I thought they prepared it really well. It was delicious I ate a whole plate. I'm actually kinda surprised I did it and sortta proud that I was so experimental and didn't shun all the weird foods I ate
>>
>>7445370
No more than 100g of beef.
In any case it's roughly 3.5 oz
They can be prepared myriad ways.
Fried as a snack
Made into meal or "flour"
Made into patties
Whatever
>>
>>7445282
I'd eat them if they were good and made good meals. I get the feeling most of the exoskeleton insects would be like eating shrimp with the shell still on, though, and that's the part that I really can't get over.

You also can't really *do* anything with them like you can a slab of meat. You can grind them up and use them to some degree like hamburger but you aren't going to be having cricket steaks or mealworm roast or anything like that.
>>
I think that unfortunately, in the future people will adapt insects to popular cuisine out of necessity.
>>
>>7445282
I ate crickets once, they had this herb coating on them and some had a chilli coating on them - similar to what you'd get on crisps/chips. They tasted pretty good IMO.

I reckon if people could get past the texture/idea of eating bugs they'd eat them as snacks, as long as they had a good flavouring on them.
>>
I've always wanted to try fried tarantula. When I watch people in china and hong kong and shit eating them on sticks they actually look pretty appetizing to me.

I guess it's because I really like spiders so I've already surpassed the repulsion stage.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.