[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is vegetable oil good for you? What about using vegetable oil
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 7
File: is it.jpg (28 KB, 200x240) Image search: [Google]
is it.jpg
28 KB, 200x240
is vegetable oil good for you?
What about using vegetable oil for frying? or for deep frying?

What do you use instead?
I heard you don't use olive oil for frying.
>>
vegetable oil can edure higher temperatures before burning (?), so its better for frying than olive oil
>>
>>7444240
Also, I mean liquid vegetable oil. I am aware that non-liquid vegetable oil is cancer. Too many trans fats.
>>
It depends what kind of vegetable oil. They have different fatty acid profiles. Oils with a high smoke point are good for frying. No idea about deep frying because I've never done it, but if you're concerned with something being "good for you" I wouldn't recommend it.
>>
If you can afford it, you should use duck fat. Normal olive oil is fine for frying, but extra-virgin is not.
>>
>>7444240
>is vegetable oil good for you?
Oils, like nearly all fats, are mostly empty calories devoid of any significant micro-nutrients value and should be kept to a minimum. You get enough dietary fat from unrefined whole foods such as nuts, seeds, etc. You lose a great deal of the protein and fiber content of peanuts when they refined into peanut oil for example.

>What about using vegetable oil for frying? or for deep frying?
Some oils are fine as long as they have a high enough smoke-point (>350F) that they do not break down into carcinogenic compounds when exposed to excessive heat and have a neutral flavor profile

>What do you use instead?
The most healthy oil available for general cooking is avacado oil because:
1. It has an absurdly high smoke point (500F)
2. It has a neutral flavor profile
3. It has the the lowest proportion of saturated fat, while having one of the highest ratios of monounsaturated-to-polyunsaturated fat which have been shown to oxidize in a hurry past 350F
Read this: https://www.centurylife.org/whats-the-healthiest-cooking-oil/
>>
I saute with olive oil or butter.

Sometimes I use leftover bacon fat for things like eggs and potato for breakfast.

But I do use Vegetable in my fryer for frying.

I never would use Olive Oil in my Fryer or Vegetable oil in my Oil jar.
>>
File: OLV-10400-4.jpg (195 KB, 1600x1600) Image search: [Google]
OLV-10400-4.jpg
195 KB, 1600x1600
>>7444340 Continued
>I heard you don't use olive oil for frying.
The thing about olive oil is most of the stock that is sold in stores is EXTRA VIRGIN olive oil which has almost all of the impurities stripped out via extra refinement. This lowers it's natural smoke point to about 375F which makes it unsuitable for high-temp frying. Non-EV olive oil has a smoke point of around 410F which might be enough.

Also OO has a distinctive fruity/bitter flavor when lends to cold condiment use on a salad. but is detracting for most frying purposes.

The other problem is even if you use "regular virgin" OO the supply of decent brands is crap and there are a lot of articles on the sorry state of the market:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/ceciliarodriguez/2016/02/10/the-olive-oil-scam-if-80-is-fake-why-do-you-keep-buying-it
http://healthimpactnews.com/2014/extra-virgin-olive-oil-fraud-a-guide-to-purchasing-olive-oil/
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/60-minutes-overtime-how-to-buy-olive-oil/

Basically the only universal gold standard OO is California Olive Ranch:
https://www.cooksillustrated.com/taste_tests/475-california-extra-virgin-olive-oils

Finally keep in mind the best-use by date on any oil you buy is from the date of INITAL processing, NOT THE DATE OF SHIPMENT. A study of the time it takes several different varieties to oils to go rancid compare with their allotted date-time should significant discrepancies. Most oils on average tested actually went rancid after being opened within about 6-7 months:
http://nutritionfacts.org/video/the-true-shelf-life-of-cooking-oils/

It's best to keep your oils refrigerated after opening to discourage oxidation.
>>
>>7444240
>I heard you don't use olive oil for frying.

Depends on what kind of olive oil you mean, anon. There's not just one type.

Extra-virgin olive oil has a very low smoke point so it would be bad for frying. It's for dressings, sauces, etc.

On the other hand, normal aka "light" aka refined olive oil has a high smoke point and is good for just about anything in the kitchen. It;s great to fry with.
>>
>>7444362
>olive oil is not only safe for cooking, but it is recommended by scientists and olive oil experts for high temperature frying! The notion that extra virgin olive oil should never be heated or used for cooking is not supported by research.
>>
>>7444369
>>olive oil is not only safe for cooking, but it is recommended by scientists and olive oil experts for high temperature frying!

Yes. They're talking about refined olive oil.

>>The notion that extra virgin olive oil should never be heated or used for cooking is not supported by research.

Nobody every said you cannot heat it. You just cannot heat it beyond its smoke point. Cooking pasta sauce, for example, never exceeds 100C thanks to the moisture in the tomatoes, etc. Therefore it's fine to use EVOO there. However OP is asking about frying. Since most frying temperatures are well above the smoke point of EVOO, it would be a bad idea to use EVOO for those applications. That's the very definition of a scientific approach.
>>
I think peanut oil and coconut oil is better for you. Vegetable oil isnt that great but its better than butter.
>>
>>7444406
>better than butter
Coconut oil contains 33% more saturated fat (the type linked to heart disease) than butter and much more than vegetable oil.
>>
Olive oil for drizzling on bread or salad, butter or canola oil for pan frying, peanut oil for deep frying.
>>
Grapeseed Oil masterrace
>>
>>7444415
isnt saturated fat good.
Trans fat is bad, saturated fat good, right
>>
>>7444555
>>7444444
>>
>>7444340
>saturated
>monounsaturated
>polyunsaturated

Soo, what should I avoid?
>>
>>7444595
Excessive amounts of all of them.

All fats are fine as long as you aren't a gluttonous pig stuffing your face with oily, fatty foods all day long.
>>
>>7444240
It's always bad, no exceptions.
Even olive oil is bad in excess.
>>
>>7444642
>All fats are fine
>saturated and trans fats are fine
heh
>>
File: Heart-Healthy-Oils-Infographic.jpg (2 MB, 1250x8888) Image search: [Google]
Heart-Healthy-Oils-Infographic.jpg
2 MB, 1250x8888
>>7444595
>>
>>7444642

...oh shit, I'm fucked
>>
>>7444369
Those scientist are idiots/paid by the oil industry.
The only valid study compares olive oil to fucking butter to look "healthy".
If it needs to be compared to butter, it's obviously shit.
>>
>>7444666
When used sparingly, they are fine.
>>
File: Bear goggles.jpg (16 KB, 270x253) Image search: [Google]
Bear goggles.jpg
16 KB, 270x253
>>7444669
>deep frying has zero health benefits

Well I sure am glad they cleared that up for us, I'll stop deep frying my diabetic grandma's meds now that I know it doesn't add any health benefits...
>>
>>7444642
>>7444666
>>7444683
Even on keto? (where you can't eat anything but fat)
>>
File: tallow.jpg (85 KB, 680x452) Image search: [Google]
tallow.jpg
85 KB, 680x452
>>7444240
Fuck no, A lot of them have huge amounts of omega 6 fats and cause inflammation and death
Use light olive oil, butter and animal fats for cooking
>>
>>7444931
doesn't animal fats contain lots of saturated fats
>>
>>7444969
Yeah, loads, but it's much much better than some vegetable oils out there and you shouldn't be using a lot anyway
>>
>>7444931
>inflammation

Inflammation of what, exactly? I hear idiots using this word all the time, but they never specify WHAT is getting inflamed, and why it is so bad for you. It's a word Dr. Oz uses a lot when he's trying to sell fat housewives some MIRACLE CURE for obesity.
>>
i'd like to get into asian cooking so i need something that withstands crazy temps, what should i be using?
>>
>>7445028
I use peanut oil for that. High smoke point, very neutral taste.
>>
>>7445022
Chronic inflammation is all over but mostly in the arteries
>>
I'll occasionally use an empty vegetable oil bottle as a piss jug and leave it in the kitchen. It's like a degenerate game of Russian roulette.
>>
>>7445003
what about keto
>>
>>7445057

thanks, i just wish it wasn't so fucking expensive
>>
>>7444669
But I've heard saturated oil is actually not bad according to "recent studies"
>>
File: dq.jpg (46 KB, 1000x562) Image search: [Google]
dq.jpg
46 KB, 1000x562
Peanut oil is great for high heat pan frying. Deep frying is something separate. Despite the fact that I will never own a deep fryer, for my own personal good, it seems that the best fat would be beef tallow/goose fat, or a standard peanut oil.

I envy those who own a deep fryer, yet don't use it as their primary cooking instrument...
>>
>>7444666
Saturated fats are fine. Most of them, anyway.
>>
>>7446214
It's probably a mixed results based on many factors. You do need a little bit of it. Not sure you should make it your main fats though if you live a sedentary lifestyle. Basically butter > margarine. Saturated fats > Trans fats.
>>
>>7446224
deep fryers are getting way more accessible. my family has been deep frying turkeys for thanksgiving for quite a while now and just within the last couple of years we got one of those completely enclosed indoor fryers

pretty cool

we use peanut oil

except for one year when i had a friend visiting and we realized the day before or the day of thanksgiving that he was allergic to peanuts. we ended up using corn oil. different taste, but not bad.
>>
>>7444240
Use lard or beef tallow. Saturated fats are most stable. Vegetable oil is cheap, that is the only positive.
>>
>>7444683
no, trans fats are a manmade poison, they are not ok even in moderation
>>
You should use oils high in monounsaturated and saturated fats for cooking and frying. Polyunsaturated fats are very heat-labile and create more toxic compounds way before their smoke points, which end up in the food.
Examples of good oils to use in a high-heat situation would be refined olive oil, rapeseed/canola oil, almond oil, or solid fats such as lard.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-33675975
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.