[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ketogenic Diet
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 109
Thread images: 9
File: keto-pyramid.png (82 KB, 1520x1149) Image search: [Google]
keto-pyramid.png
82 KB, 1520x1149
hello /ck/ I have started on the keto diet

Has anyone else been on keto ?
>experiences, thoughts, tips?
>any recipe ideas?
>tips to stop demolishing food like savage?

I am restricting a lot of calories in order to lose weight, I am super fucking hungry /ck/ and have been drinking plenty of water to try and curb my cravings.

>I really just want to make myself a big bowl of mac and cheese

hold me /ck/
>>
Longest I went on keto was a month, but had to stop due to dehydration issues (unrelated, but keto just made it worse). How much do you weigh? On keto, you shouldn't be restricting calories so much that it leaves you that hungry. Are you sure you're eating enough fat?

If you're that hungry, you need to focus on filling your stomach with "filler". I'd recommend soup. Be sure to look up the net-carb content of every vegetable you plan on consuming. I liked cooking cream of cauliflower soup with ham.
>>
>>7444205
would you ever try to get back on keto?

I weigh 64kgs now
Today I ate 66g or a bit more fat and 53g protein and about 18g of carbs

I'm not too worried about my carb intake as much as I am worried about getting too many calories

I think I just might make some soup soon >.>
>>
>>7444197
I'm trying to do keto died but I'm poor and is hell.
Day 2 on it, and I feel hunger, but everything on kitched is LOL CARBOHYDRATES.
Also, I'm not doing this to lose fat since I'm pretty skinny, just to experience ketosis once or twice. Would eating a bread be really that bad?
>>
>>7444244
>kitched
>died
Is this a funny a meme, /ck/ mods?
Why are my posts getting changed. I never said desu.
>>
I've been keto a couple times and don't consider it worth it. At first you'll drop a lot of weight as you lose water weight and so on, your hips start feeling and looking great, then you feel good for a while, then you start sleeping like shit and will have a hard time focusing on stuff and remembering things you've done.

There are simpler and easier ways to drop weight with better long-term results. By my experience.
>>
>>7444222

>64kg

Unless you're like 130cm tall and a woman thats nothing you can't fix with some physical activity and a balanced diet.

Why do people put themselves through all this suffering just to avoid exercising is beyond me.
>>
>>7444244
I'm on day five now
I was pretty good until today where I just started craving bread and pasta like mad

how about eggs are cheap (at least where I am) which is nice cause I love eggs and they are great

I guess meat can be expensive but you should be able to find cheap cuts of meat.
I saw a kilo of chicken thighs for 3 dollars something where I live.
I just haven't done shopping yet lol

to save money I am just looking at what's on sale on going on from that

The most expensive thing I think is vegetables >.<

Well there are keto breads you can make, otherwise if you can fit it into your macros I guess it should be fine
>>
>>7444290
Oh no I do exercise as well
I used to weigh much much less and am now overweight for my height >.>
>I am short

I was eating crap and drinking too much alcohol
>>
>>7444197
I tried keto this week (monday-friday) and I fucking hated it. Maybe it's because I live on campus at university so I have to eat their shitty food which made it insanely difficult. I had absolutely NO ENERGY. I could barely walk up stairs without collapsing. I stopped on Friday because I hadn't had a bowel movement in 5 days and I was afraid of passing out and dying.

Just like many other things, it works for some but others, not so much.
>>
>>7444222
Probably not. I'm close to my goal-weight, anyway. I did enjoy it, though.
>>
>>7444274
>you start sleeping like shit and will have a hard time focusing on stuff and remembering things you've done.
so if I already have these problems, I will be basically nonfunctional on a keto diet?
>>
>>7444197
I'm doing it, sort of. counting cals more than avoiding carbs. but it's easy when you avoid carbs. how long have you been doing it??

and the craving should stop once your stomach shrinks. rn it's used to the gluttony to be filled. I eat about 1000-1200 cals q day now and most things fill me up. I started eating oatmeal every other day though because shitting became harder and less frequent. now I'm good to go. if you are having trouble getting full eat a lot more vegetables and drink a large glass of water 10 minutes before eating. you'll be ok
>>
>>7444197
>that pic
so the whole diet consists of drinking oil and eating butter?
what the fuck
>>
>>7444474
no. it's like eating meat and cheese and nuts. mostly nuts for people that actually need the diet. it's used in medicine to treat kids that have seizures or something. people here just take it as a carb crash. it's no different don't let the meme name throw you off
>>
>>7444474
I like bacon
and cream
and eggs coconut milk and oil there are many foods surprisingly
>>
>>7444474
it's used to cure autism.

Basically, no carbohydrates. So body converts fat into pure energy, it's called ketosis. so it doesn't make you fatter, since you eat ZERO sugar. Your body doesn't want to die, so it uses fat instead
>>
>>7444474

The pic is by calories. The diet consists of mostly dead animals and leafy greens. For example, 100g of salmon has 20g protein and 20g fat, thus 80kcal from protein and 180kcal from fat and the calorie ratio is about what it's supposed to be. (31% protein, 69% fat).

You can also eat lower fat dead animals like chicken and eggs, as long as you compensate by adding extra fat like cheese, coconut milk or oil.

Just don't eat carbs.
>>
>>7444573
>it's used to cure autism.

no, it's used to prevent epileptic seizures
>>
been on keto for ~3 months so far.

I've lost 25 lbs, but I know it could be higher if I didn't break my diet as often. I try to only eat carbs once a week, but sometimes I'll do both Saturday and Sunday, then go back on keto for the week.
>>
>>7444197
I went on and off keto the last two years while being on keto the majority of that time. I was at the upper limit of normal bmi, went down to lower limit and now I'm just doing it lazily and maintain at whatever normal bmi without counting calories. I do it mostly for the cognitive benefits and so that my teeth no longer hurt.
I'm pretty much convinced by this way of eating, that's why I always keep going back to it.

Try this recipe http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/cheeseburger_quiche.html

If you crave salty things like chips, drink a salty broth, if you crave sweets, drink diet pop.
>>
I've done keto for 6+ months going from 240 to 190lbs. I wouldn't consider myself an expert, but my sister (physician) guided me when I was doing it so I'm confident in saying this:

-You can't half-ass a keto diet. I mean you can, but you won't get results. If you do keto: for the first month, restrict yourself to eating ONLY meats and vegetables. Everything else should be cut out. If you don't properly "teach" your body to use fat instead of carbs, you won't get results.

-Cyclic keto is bullshit IMO.

-Keto is probably the most expensive diet.

-Once your body has recognized fat as its primary source of energy, you will lose most cravings for cake and carbs, and your body will begin to function like normal. Except instead of burning glucose for energy, your burning your fat stores = sedentary weight loss.
>>
>>7444197
If carbs are so bad then how come the Japanese are some of the longest-lived and least obese people on earth?

let's face it ketofags, you're just a fatty
>>
>>7444197
Use it for a short period. Otherwise face the long term effects. Avoid saturated and trans fat unless you want to die of a heart attack. Cholesterol also destroys your heart. Try eating vegetables with a good amount of protein, avoid beef, eat fish and chicken.
>>
>>7444602
They are also one of the physically weakest and smallest people. There's a trade off for everything, you simple minded child.
>>
keto is extremely expensive
>>
>>7444602
The thing is that the traditional japanese diet includes little to no fat.

Both diets work because they exclude one thing: sugar
>>
>>7444608
fat fuck detected
>>
>>7444610
>I can't afford $30 in steaks $10 in chicken and $5 in bacon every week
mushrooms, peppers and onions are maybe $5 and that's all you really need to spend
>>
>>7444602
They also have a lot of diabetes/cancer and are effeminate.
Carbs aren't bad, carbs from processed trash food are trash.
>>
>>7444612
that doesn't make much sense

rice is made up of polysaccarides, which are just long chains of sugar
>>
>>7444600
Thank you this is really helpful.

but during the first month how about eggs and cream/ butter/ oils?
Are they also fine at the start?
>>
>>7444294
>eggs
>great
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/dairy-and-egg-products/111/2
1028mg
It's amino acids are well balanced but that cholesterol kills you.
>>
>>7444617
Talking about genetic differences and you call me fat for pointing it out. Your insecurities are showing. Getting bullied every day in school must have left a serious mark on you.
>>
File: 4chan.png (100 KB, 987x809) Image search: [Google]
4chan.png
100 KB, 987x809
>>7444630
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

this is actually a really worthwhile watch
>>
>>7444630

There's a big difference between simple sugars and "long chains of sugar".
>>
>>7444630
>refined sugar is the same as a complex carb
leave
>>
>>7444612
The tradition okinawan diet (where they live the longest) is like 85% carbs, compared to central japan being 79% carbs.

>Both diets work because they exclude one thing: sugar

Carbs are sugar, and both diets are carb heavy.
>>
>>7444658
carbs are not the same thing as refined sugar you double retard
>>
>>7444638
Those would be included in the "meat," so yes you very much need those.

I personally don't think 65/30/5 is right Start with 50/45/5, it'll be easier on the stomach. Also eat tons of fiber or your going to have a miserable time at the loo.
>>
>>7444619
it's not that much protein, but fat, too much protein can be detrimental
>>
>>7444682
Actually nevermind I did 50/45/5 when I was bulking. If you want to cut, the ideal ratio is always 65/30/5. But everyone is different; just keep carbs at 5% and you're golden.
>>
>>7444682
Great I would be so sad without butter lol

I used a calculator online and it gave me

25 g Carbs (7%, 100 kcal)
70 g Protein (21%, 280 kcal)
107 g Fat (72%, 965 kcal)

but yeh I do think that needs some readjusting lol

Yeh I have already noticed my movements have slowed down

Does coffee make any difference ?
(I drink straight black)
>>
>>7444717
You mean you're not losing weight as fast?

Could be your metabolism slowing down, how often do you have a "cheat" day?
That usually resets your metabolism and gets you right back on track
>>
>>7444719
I meant my poops lol

No cheat day yet
>>
>>7444717
Your macros look fine. Don't spend too much time thinking about them. All that matters is that carbs stays at 5%.

Coffee shouldn't. You can drink bulletproof coffee, which is just coffee and european (high fat low water) butter into a blender. It's actually really good.
>>
>>7444728
okay great that sounds like a good idea
tenk you senpai
>>
>>7444717
Coffee is zero cal and won't trigger insulin release unless you sweeten it or add milk. Some people add butter/coconut oil or cream to add fat
>>
Started in Jan 2015, 185 lbs. I was 140 lbs by September and I've been maintaining since. I didn't count calories at all, and I never really let myself stay hungry.
>>
>>7444274
Like what?
>>
File: P1110038.jpg (177 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
P1110038.jpg
177 KB, 800x600
>>7445751
I lost 30 pounds in 4 months first time I went on it.

I've been on a pic related kick recently. With bolognese, but I'm going to back some stock and have some "ramen". There's also fettucine shaped ones that I'm going to do chicken alfredo (cream/butter/parm) with.

But normally (just started back a month ago) my diet is:

lunch
various cheeses, salumi, nuts, pepperoncini
or
salad with chicken, bacon, nuts

dinner
beef or chicken & vegetable kebabs
hamburg steak with blue cheese cream sauce
meatloaf and brussel sprouts
tacos (low carb tortilla)
>>
I'm doing ketogenic and nofap at the same time. And it's truly hell
>>
>>7446386
>implying keto is the hard part
>>
>>7444290
Keto doesn't work very well if you're not exercising.
>>
>>7446398
I disagree

Little to no exercise outside of lifting every other day and I'm down 25lbs
>>
>>7444619
That's a terrible way of going about it. You still need the vitamins from a large range of vegetables, and onions are starchy anyway.

If you're going to have to be this limited to stay on keto, you're far better off not going on keto at all.
>>
>>7446413
Little to no exercise apart from doing exercise? OK, bud. Very good.
>>
>>7446416
3-5 sets of arms and 3 sets of legs is a lot of exercise, man.

wouldn't want to tire yourself out
>>
>>7444423
>eating oatmeal
>on keto
choose one
>>
>>7444197
Been wanting something sweet on keto so I made these raspberry banana pudding things I found on the web, anyone have a recipe to share as well ?

Pudding things recipe
>4 eggs
>2 bananas, mashed
>1 cup of frozen raspberries
Mix together thoroughly then put in muffin tin like muffins. Make sure you mix well or you'll make omlettes
Tastes good, super filling. Will make 9 to 12. I usually eat 2 with tea. Eat within 3 days.
>>
>>7444197
Drinking water to sate hunger is a good move.

Keto is bollocks though. You actually need a balanced diet to be healthy and cutting all carbs is only marginally healthier than cutting all proteins or fats.
>>
File: curves.jpg (50 KB, 500x588) Image search: [Google]
curves.jpg
50 KB, 500x588
What do you guys know about how you need to watch your electrolytes on keto?

Dunno how carbs make you have lessons salt, but I was thinking of making my own electrolyte drink with pineapple juice as the base because it's cheaper to buy "Diet Salt" for potassium and gatorade is like salty overpriced Kool Aid
>>
>>7445754

eating less, exercising more.
>>
>>7444599
>now teeth no longer hurt
Is this just your personal experience or is this a symptom of keto?
I have super sensitive teeth (weak enamel) and they hurt all the time, so if keto helps then I'd start it. How does it help though?
>>
>>7447582
sugar is baad for teeth.
>>
>>7447569
i think insulin has some effect on the kidney's sodium management. if you do keto, why do you drink a sugary pinapple juice? just make a salty broth of different salts and broth cube for taste, and drink that.
>>
>>7447582
it's very common to have improved oral health on keto. a lot of people report the absence of new cavities or do not need their teeth professionally cleaned anymore. (they still brush their teeth of course.)
also there is an anti-inflammatory effect (since sugar is pretty inflammatory), so no longer inflamed gums.
>>
>>7447582
Plaque love sugar. Sugar in all forms - glucose, fructose, lactose. When plaque eats, it shits acid. Acid destroys your enamel.

Keto cuts out almost all sugars. Anything that ends in -ose except cellulose and similar fibre.
>>
Day 3 of keto.
Fuck keto, I think I was on ketosis, by lack of hunger, and constant sweating and warmness all over my body (I'm not fat), but I tasted sugar and it's soooo goood. I missed it, And I think I expermiented a bit with it. I'll probably do it when I have more money, and more time to schedule my food, keto diet is brutal.
>>
Wow I made this thread and its still here but I guess I'm late to reply but I will anyway

>>7447554
That sounds really yummy
But how big were the bananas? fruits are very high carbs So I am worried to eat too much fruit.

>>7447567
My piss has been running clear for days
I think its just one of the problems of just starting keto and I think I should have eaten more meat
I only ate two meals today (6am and 8 pm) and I am stuffed
I think the key is getting enough proteins into me to feel better

Since starting keto I cant help but drink a shit tonne of water, I drink at around 3 litres a day
I feel thirsty all the time now days

>>7449244
It was similar for me on day 2 and 3 (i got headaches and felt tired)

the sugar is hard to resist
my mum came back from a friends house and brought back our countries cakes
It took me all my strength not to demolish all of it... I had a taste and left it and I made sure not to at anything with carbs (All I had for dinner was fish)

The good thing about keto is scheduling your food wont be problem, you will eventually feel less hungry

But yeah it is brutal, my bro wanted to order pizza for dinner, I had to say no T.T
>>
File: babybackriiiiibs.jpg (124 KB, 473x600) Image search: [Google]
babybackriiiiibs.jpg
124 KB, 473x600
OP here again
Just to let you guys know

Since starting this diet my skin has really cleared up.
I usually get pimples all the time.
I assume it has cleared up because I have cut out almost all carbs/sugars and have been drinking 2 to 3 litres of water a day
>>
File: oXRmvsF.jpg (116 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
oXRmvsF.jpg
116 KB, 640x640
>>7444197
>Has anyone else been on keto ?
Briefly, maybe 2-3 months

>experiences, thoughts, tips?
It's the Atkins Diet, Cambridge Diet, South Beach Diet, Paleo Diet. Tomorrow it'll be called something else and foster excluding or including some other range or cross section focused on reducing refined carbs.
A REAL ketogenic diet is useful for epilepsy and some forms of diabetes, but the vast majority of people who go on it are simply trying to reduce calorie intake or lose weight rather than induce ketosis for medical reasons. This is a bad thing because they confuse standard sensible nutrition for keto-diet then brag or bro-science about whatever bullshit fits into their bent thinking.

>tips to stop demolishing food like savage?
Ditch keto and eat more vegetables. Eating more vegetables and less processed food is 99% of what makes any western/weight loss diet work. Whole grains are great for you and shouldn't be excluded, nor should any other form of carbohydrates. They should simply be restricted and limited in sensible ways.

Lentils, legumes, vegetables, dairy products and fruit are all great for you when you're not a silly prick about it. Carbohydrates are not bad for weight loss.

On a personal note, I found that carb cycling works really well, and because I always tend to want sweet/savoury carbs in the evening this works doubly well for me.

tl;dr Eat more veg and less processed food, problem 99% solved.
>>
>>7448363
I went with pineapple juice because it's flavour hides the salty flavour better than orange juice or other juices and it's cheap. I was thinking I could have 1 glass and it wouldn't fuck my carb count.

Will do broth yeah but it's summer here and I wanted something cool and refreshing.
>>
>>7450653
Well those bananas were medium sized, looked like 1 and a half cups worth when mashed up . If you divide the carbs of those by 12 and the cup of raspberries it shouldn't be too bad per serve. It's a sweet treat though as said, not like a full meal or anything.
>>
File: 131946134561.jpg (5 KB, 196x250) Image search: [Google]
131946134561.jpg
5 KB, 196x250
>>7444222
>64kgs
grill?
>>
>>7450806
Ah okay sounds good then

>>7450813
fet grill
>>
>>7450795
a whole glass? so about 200 ml? apparently pineapple juice is about 14% sugar, so you got 28g sugar already. while it can be within your carb marcros, you've used up your limit with a juice that won't fill you up, while you could have eaten leafy greens.
stuff like char and spinach contain a good amount of potassium!
>>
Day 2 here.
Day one wasn't so bad but I've noticed I get hungry quicker after meals.
I'm doing it because I suspect carbs are causing a number of issues as well.
Possibly per-diabetes.
And I'm not fat either.
Day 1 of nofap as well.
>>
File: 1456575431550.jpg (35 KB, 620x465) Image search: [Google]
1456575431550.jpg
35 KB, 620x465
>>7452965
I haven't fapped for a week....

I just don't have the urges like before, I fapped everyday, sometimes even twice.

Maybe cause I am so tired? I just don't know, I haven't been like this since before I knew how to fap.
>>
>>7453894
Apparently low-carbs reduces your libido.
So keto and nofap go hand in hand(hue)
>>
I relapsed my nofap on day 5
It felt good, but I feel kinda meh now.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 4032x3024
I am idiot and I'm doing keto despite being a horrible cook. How the hell do I cook this rare to medium rare the right way? It's my understanding that more heat means a better steak, but I always end up with a charred on the outside, completely un cooked inside monstrosity. And then there's the kitchen full of smoke and burnt oil/butter smell. Am I missing something? Assume I have exactly the amount of autism this post implies I do when helping me if you can.
>>
>>7456101
Oh and I should probably mention I'm doing this in a pan on a stove. Room mate is worse than me and destroyed our grill, and broiling things in the oven results in literal fireballs so that's also a no go.
>>
>>7456101
Get a digital balance.

Make sure you have are organized, in order to plan meals.
Set a date for each breakfast, lunch, dinner.
Shop for ingredients.

Follow recipe.

You don't need to be a chef to read a cookbook
>>
>>7456101
Medium heat bud
>>
>>7456110
I have everything down but how to cook steak. The rest is easy enough.
>>
>>7456101
just sous vide it bruh
>>
>>7456101

>THE STEAK IS CHARRED ON THE OUTSIDE AND THE KITCHEN SMELLS OF BURNT OIL

>I WONDER WHAT I'M DOING WRONG
>>
>>7456532
What's up with everyone and their mom telling me higher heat means a better steak then? Is there no truth to it?
>>
>>7456586
There is such thing as the heat being too high. If you're burning the outside while the inside is raw, the heat is too high or you need to flip it before it burns and then finish it in the oven.
>>
A week in and I'm in liquid shitville
>>
>>7453894
3 days in and I'm still constipated.
>>
>>7444197
>going on a diet
>going on a meme diet
whats it like to be a fat fuck?
>>
>>7456851
meant for >>7456816

>>7456858
I'm not even fat but I have a number of symptoms of per-diabeties due to my shit tier diet.
>>
>>7444290
Basically, I hate sweating
>>
>>7456851
soon...
If not maybe try some chia seeds or psyllium husk
>>
>>7444222
That's not keto fuck head
>>
>>7456816
>>7456851
>>7457287
>tfw can't have a regular shit keto or not keto
>only thing that works is chicken, rice, and something green
Whatever, still going to keep it up anyways. Something fulfilling about eating coconut oil by the spoonful and telling yourself "I'm satisfied".
>>
>>7444444
>>
if gelatin is allowed get the sugar free kind and eat giant bowls of it, also appropriate is putting fiber powder in everything.

my highschool friends could never understand how i was never hungry like they were during our anorexia kick.

"i only had 700 calories today... im hungry but it feels good to lose weight, what about you"
"450"
"oh god you must be starving!"
"nah. i ate a crap ton today"
>>
>>7457496
http://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/palak-paneer/

greens, spices, rice. can be eaten with chicken instead of paneer.
>>
>>7459340
...but can't be eaten with rice.
Maybe that was a typo? *cheese?
>>
>>7456851
>>7456816
Eat vegetables
Cauliflower can be made into both rice and mash substitues. Google it
>>
>>7457354
Lol okay
Fuck head
>>
>>7459335
I dont knownif this is troll post or not anymore....

I have never used gelatin, I don't understand.. how di you eat gelatin? With what and how..
>>
>>7463586

make jelly

sugar free gelatin, sugar free juice = sugar free jelly

fucking terrible if you ask me
>>
>>7444591
>>7444573
Both right.
But the Keto diet was originally made to treat ADHD
>>
>>7444197
Make sure you don't stay at 0 carbs for too long or you go mentally retarded.
>>
>>7453900

I CALL BULLSHIT.
It is more the other way round.
You body needs fat to produce testosterone!
Please do your research.
Thread replies: 109
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.