[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sometimes water just tastes bad Why?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3
Sometimes water just tastes bad

Why?
>>
Because some water sources suck.
>>
>>7443153
This. Some places have good water, some don't.
>>
>>7443153
>>7443158
I mean in general, just plain regular good water...sometimes it just tastes awful and even kind of dry
>>
>>7443198
Never experienced that, but I have been to places where the tap water was just plain awful.
>>
>>7443198
There's no such thing as plain regular good water. It always has a different makeup of trace minerals depending on the source. Sometimes bad pipes make a contribution, as well.

If you're talking about distilled water tasting better at some times than others, stop drinking distilled water.
>>
Because you didn't drink bottled water

tap water is gross and for poorfags
>>
>>7443260
>>7443266
I only drink purified water, usually from a bottle, it's the same every time but sometimes it just tastes bad
>>
File: 31L3Ge1WS3L.jpg (14 KB, 276x440) Image search: [Google]
31L3Ge1WS3L.jpg
14 KB, 276x440
>>7443148
When that happens brush your teeth and scrape your tongue and try it again. Could be your mouth.

If you don't drink distilled grab one of these TDS (Total Dissolved Solids) readers on the cheap and test your tap:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002T6L5M

150-300 ← Regular Tap Water
50-150 ← Charcoal Filter (Brita/Bottled Water)
0-50 ← Reverse Osmosis/Distilled
Even the high end is safe to drink, but the associated minerals and other inert solids can make water have an off-taste to some sensitive to it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnK0O2hYCV4
>>
>>7443272
If it's the same every time, then how does it sometimes taste bad?

That makes no sense, I think it's all in your head.
>>
>>7443272
Purified is NOT distilled. Try that next time.
>>
>>7443282
You realize distilled water will literally kill you, right?
>>
>>7443148
When I visit my grandparents they always question why I grab water from the sink rather than the refridgerator. I just think it tast better from the sink.
>>
>>7443266
I live atop one of the largest aquifers in CA and I drink it straight from the tap. Pure, clean, and delicious year round. Go fuck yourself.
>>
>>7443291
No it won't, it just has no nutritional or mineral value.
>>
>>7443198
>dry water
>>
Because you live in michigan
>>
>>7443291
Where do people get this idea? I mean distilled water is just H20. That's it. You can get water poisoning from tap water too. Are you someone who eats to "keep your metabolism up"? Cause that's the level of critical thinking going on
>>
>>7444132

dude, you don't understand. he read a link someone posted on fb. you can't get more informed than that.
>>
>>7443266
>paying at all for worse water

ok
>>
>>7443276
>If you don't drink distilled
>don't drink distilled
>drink distilled

Don't do that.
>>
>>7444132
distilled water saps electrolytes

l2science
>>
Because sometimes the water delivery systems are really old.
>>
>>7443148
Some people have shit oral hygiene.

>giving the disgusting contents of one's mouth a medium by drinking water
>complain about water tasting bad
>>
>>7445862
this
>>
>>7443198

I know what you mean kind of. Some water is shit and I actually feel even more thirsty after drinking it. This is largely, I think, because of like the other anon said source of the water. I find that tap water which has some fluoride and isn't 100% pure isn't very good quality. It is better filtered, but when I compare it to spring or glacier water that is in a glass bottle as opposed to plastic, it's much better and more "crisp" if that makes sense.

Overall, there is certainly more to water than meets the eye. Most people think water is water, it's all the same shit, but it's amazing how some can taste so different and leave you feeling hydrated and refreshed while others will leave a strange taste in your mouth and dry out your tongue.
>>
I recently had some plumbing work done in my bathroom (faucets changed out, some soldering involved because galvanized pipes), and now my kitchen faucet is sputtering with air and the water looks cloudy. Bathroom faucets are fine and not sputtering. Any ideas why?
>>
>>7447701

Sputtering & cloudiness = air in the pipes. That's totally normal if plumbing work was done since the plumber had to drain the pipes before he could work on them. If some faucets are doing that but not all of them it simply means that the pipes are routed in such a way that the air didn't get to those which aren't sputtering. Either that, or it already got flushed out. It's nothing to worry about.
>>
File: hohoho.png (425 KB, 447x378) Image search: [Google]
hohoho.png
425 KB, 447x378
>>7443266
> he doesn't know most bottled water is from the tap
>>
I notice sometimes during the spring or summer months my water will have a dirt taste to it. Someone told me it was because of the zebra mussels invading our lakes.
>>
>>7443291
"Bottled distilled water can usually be found in supermarkets or pharmacies, and home water distillers are available as well."
t. Wikipedz
>>
>>7444132
>Where do people get this idea?

It's a common safety warning if you work in a lab where distilled water is "on tap".

Though people here are making it out to be a lot more dangerous than it actually is. Yes, you could hurt yourself (or theoretically might even die) if you drank a lot of distilled water over a prolonged period of time due to electrolyte imbalance. But it's certainly not the "ZOMG POISON!" that people seem to make it out to be.
>>
>>7443266
>look at me I spend hundreds of dollars a year on the one of the planet's most abundant natural resources

Unless you live in the middle of a fucking desert, you are an idiot
>>
>>7447724
>>7447722
>>7447719

I only drink imported French spring water. I've spent thousands of dollars over the past few years on imported water. I drink it, bathe in it, cook with it...I've omitted this fluoride tap water poison and because of this I am prospering.
>>
>>7443266
>mfw you pay more for tap water in a bottle
>>
>be in catholic south american country
>water not fit to drink
>get priest to bless it
>still get ill off dirty water
>forsooth!
>>
>>7447722
Can you fortify distilled water to prevent complications
>>
>>7447779

Sure. just put a little salt in it.
>>
shitty city
>>
>>7447770
had a (nun) aunt who died form that shit
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.