[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Winefags
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 6
File: Sideways_tasting.jpg (51 KB, 534x401) Image search: [Google]
Sideways_tasting.jpg
51 KB, 534x401
Was going to go down and buy another bottle of bourbon but choosing to avoid drinking driving and spending more money when I'm fucking broke I opted to crack one of the many bottles of wine I have accumulated from gifts.

I don't mind it actually, might do it more often. How does one become a winefag aside from drinking more wine? What are the essentials to know? Where does one start?
>>
Why the fuck do people keep asking this question? Just drink the goddamm wine, and like everything else, use google. Google is your friend. If you genuinely want information about something, don't you start with google? So why wouldn't you do it here?

Americans (ask me how I know you're American) seem to think that it's not ok to drink wine unless you're acting like some idiot in a movie.

So what you're really asking is, "how do I become a pretentious jackass". Go get a cravatte, fake a French accent, preferably as nasal as possible, spit your wine into a spittoon, and repeat a lot of fancy "wine people" words that you don't really understand. It doesn't matter if you don't understand it, just say it with conviction.
>>
>>7441020
I'm Australian and googling as we speak. I just wanted to get some opinions from a community I enjoy.

Lighten up.
>>
>>7441020
>drinking driving
>American

ask me how I know you are retarded?

>>7441021
Just start tasting, the material out there is usually pretentious and based on nothing more than price inflating labels.
>>
Cook a dish with the wine
Eat it with the wine
>>
>>7440987
>drinking more wine
this is all there is to it mate. try various varieties of grapes at different price points..........find ones you like, the continue the search for better ones...............congrats youre a winefag
:D
>>
Generic wines:
Bordeaux red, or claret (Cabernet Sauvignon)
Burgundy white (Chardonnay)
Burgundy red (Pinot Noir)

Drink claret with everything except fish and white meat, where you drink chardonnay instead. Drink pinot noir with noticeably salty red meat like prosciutto. Salt makes strong wine taste bitter.

Sweet wines are for Germans and people who collect decorated thimbles, unless it is explicitly a dessert wine like Sauternes or Tokaji.

Things get more loose in the realm of appetizers and hors d'oevres, but this is basically the score.
>>
>>7440987
i work in a shop that sells wine and one of our reps told me to find 3 fruit flavors and 3 non fruit flavors you detect in the wine.
>>
>>7441074
>claret
Stop saying this. And while you're at it you can stop saying "courgette" and "aubergine".
>>
>>7441083
>while you're at it you can stop saying "courgette" and "aubergine"

Why would you not say claret, courgette or aubergine?
>>
>>7441085
Because we have actual words for them in English.

Saying "claret" sounds like you think you're in some kind of bad 19th century pirate adventure fantasy book for young boys.

Saying the latter two makes you sound like you need to be punched in the throat and taught to speak proper English.
>>
Grew up thinking wine was all bitter, found delicious moscato and never looked back.
>>
>>7441087
>Because we have actual words for them in English.

English is nothing but bastardised loan words from other languages. But now I'm interested; what's the English word for "courgette", anon?
>>
>>7441088
Gay, woman, fat, or combo?
>>
>>7441090
zucchini?
>>
>>7441090
Not him, but organic dildo.
>>
>>7441090
Squash. Now stop speaking fag, unless you are an actual fag.
>>
>>7441095
You might want to look up the etymology of the word "zucchini".
>>
File: squash.jpg (74 KB, 984x800) Image search: [Google]
squash.jpg
74 KB, 984x800
>>7441097
>Squash

So pic. related is a courgette?
>>
>>7441099
>>7441095
>samefagging your own posts
>>
>>7441102
>swoll pumpkin
>>
File: image.jpg (131 KB, 1680x305) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
131 KB, 1680x305
>>7441083
>stop using words I don't like.
>>
>>7441102
How the fuck should I know what you fags think a "courgette" is or is not? It's not even a word, so I'm not responsible for your delusions about meaning.
>>
>>7441085
>Why would you not say claret

Because it is the Bong equivalent of freedom fries?

http://www.winespectator.com/drvinny/show/id/46560
>>
>>7441106
>it's not a word
>>
>>7441106
You seem upset?
>>
>>7441085
Who says claret? I mean, it seems unusually specific for the more varied modern wine market.
>>
File: GPS.jpg (143 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
GPS.jpg
143 KB, 480x640
>>7441543
Bongs who can't speak proper english
>>
>>7441111
>quads
>>
>>7441074
>>7441094
don't be like these faggots, just drink wine and enjoy what you enjoy. You don't need to know anything about wine to drink it.
>>
>>7441543
>Who says claret?

Cockney gangsters?
>>
>>7441083
What's wrong with Claret?

If I buy a wine that says on its very label that it is claret, should I call it something else?
>>
>>7442109
>If I buy a wine that says on its very label that it is claret, should I call it something else?
No, you should just buy something else instead because the only wines that actually say "claret" on the bottle are garbage
>>
>>7442109
I thought a claret was a musical instrument?
>>
File: 1428724627340.png (766 KB, 761x763) Image search: [Google]
1428724627340.png
766 KB, 761x763
>>7441083
>Trying to correct the English on what words are English while speaking English
>>
>>7442351
Who is the semen demon?
>>
>>7442363
Heather Matarazzo
>>
>>7442419
oh shit, that's the same uggo who was in Devil's Advocate testifying about getting raped
>>
>>7442434
>This nigga
>>
File: IMG_20160305_184113.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160305_184113.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
I'm drinking this right now. Is it good wine? I don't know, but I like it. Just drink and enjoy OP, that's how you get experience.
>>
Just drink wine, its not that fucking hard. Don't buy the same bottle twice, unless you're bringing it to a party or gifting where it has to be good. Just try new shit. Don't say stupid shit like "quaffable" or "lovely bouquet". Normies will laugh at you. I worked at a wine store for 2 1/2 years and pretentious dickheads were easy to spot and everyone hated them.
>>
>>7441020
That's right, let it all off, fag.
>>
Do you develop a taste for wine like you do with beer?
>>
>>7442645
I've heard stories from waiters and sommeliers of grown men trying to impress their dates by trying to pretend they know more about the wine than the sommelier.

Yeah, fuck those guys.
>>
>>7443488
I turn 27 and I didn't develop a taste for wine until a few months ago. I think it's really different for everybody.
>>
>>7443508
I'm 31 and only just starting to drink it because I'm trying new things. Drinking it really isn't that pleasant for me though Maybe I've only had bad wines but it doesn't go down easy.
>>
>>7443511
I had a conversation with winemaker not too long ago and he said the trick is try as many wines as you can. If you like a certain flavor in a wine, ask someone for recommendations and build from there. But the most important thing is to try as much as you can. It's fun as well.
>>
>>7443519
Sage advice. Will keep trying. Finding I'm not huge on Shiraz though which is probably sacrilegious considering I'm Australian.
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.