[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Teach me about Cambodian food.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5
File: Flag_of_Cambodia.svg.png (81 KB, 2000x1280) Image search: [Google]
Flag_of_Cambodia.svg.png
81 KB, 2000x1280
Teach me about Cambodian food.
>>
www.google.com
>>
>>7440697
Mud Cake:

5 tpsp of mud

Put mud in the sun until dry. Bon apetitty!
>>
>>7440700
That doesn't even mention Cambodia.

>>7440721
That's really more of a Haitian thing.
>>
Cambodia has some amazing food, but you aren't going to learn about it on a board full of Americans who only get their meals from fast food outlets.

Try YouTube or google OP, there's plenty to see.
>>
>>7440697
The Khmer Rouge basically destroyed all cultural knowledge including cuisine so Cambodian food is now a mash up of what little knowledge they had left after the war with heavy Viet and some Thai influence.
>>
They eat grilled tarantulas on a skewer.
>>
>>7440732
Not if you use authentic Cambodian mud.
>>
post OC or get the fuck off of /ck/
>>
>>7440769
Do you post that in fast food threads too?
>>
>>55950046
>>
File: 220px-Cobra_movie_poster.jpg (22 KB, 220x331) Image search: [Google]
220px-Cobra_movie_poster.jpg
22 KB, 220x331
>>7440762
thats pretty brutal
>>
delicious amok
delicious beef loklak
amazing crab and green peppercorns
best fish sauce in the world
>>
>>7440920
why is it the best fish sauce?
>>
>>7440920
All good, but loklak is Viet, not Khmer.

>>7440697
There's too much to really teach you in one go. Is there anything specific you'd like to know?

My favourite dish is a soup called ktieu. It's like the bastard child of Vietnamese pho and Japanese ramen. It's made from pork bones, like ramen, but the flavours are closer to pho than to ramen. It also includes dried seafood, typically squid or cuttlefish, as a flavouring for the stock. When served, it's topped with a garlic-infused oil/lard mixture made from crumble-cooking fatty pork mince and pasted garlic in a bit of oil. Like both soups, you can choose any of various toppings but the most common are roast pork, prawns and prawn cracker. Unlike either ramen or pho, most places that serve it allow you to choose the sort of noodle you'd like, from thin, pho-like ones, to soba-like ones, to curly yellow ramen-like ones (but unsulphured; they're yellow from the egg yolk used to make them) and these square cut noodles similar to kalguksu but made from rice instead of wheat.

Pic related: it's ktieu with prawn cracker and Khmer chives.
>>
File: គុយទាវ.jpg (417 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
គុយទាវ.jpg
417 KB, 1024x768
>>7440947
Sorry, here's the pic. Captcha ate it.
>>
File: ភ្លា.jpg (117 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
ភ្លា.jpg
117 KB, 640x480
This is ple. Well, I don't know how to write it. It's like... the E has a reverse circumflex, a dropping tone changing into a rising one and ending kind of in an A-sound.
It's a dish of raw beef marinated in fish sauce and lime juice with lots of lemongrass, Khmer chives and either basil or ma-om. This one has basil.

>>7440935
It's stinky and grey. Not a lot of people outside of Cambodians actually like it, though. In fact, even many Cambodians don't. Some see it as boorish, rural and low-class and have swapped to using shrimp sauce, which is seen as higher class (but is also not as tasty).
>>
>>7440935

to be honest I haven't personally compared a lot of fish sauces, but it is highly regarded. they make it everywhere so you can smell it almost everywhere you go. delicious.

>>7440947

I ate it often when I was in cambodia but never saw it in vietnam. a lot of food in that region seems have slight variations across borders. whoever invented it, I couldn't get enough of the dipping sauce it came with.

there's a good rick stein episode where he visits cambodia.
>>
>>7440959
that sounds awesome
>>
>>7440961
Did you try Khmer barbecue (saht ang)?
My favourites are lemongrass barbecued beef (saht ang sach ko kroeung) and barbecued eggs (saht ang sa-ot). The eggs are weird because I don't think anyone does them but Cambos. Maybe other mainland SEAs, but I'm not sure. At the very least, they're never served at restaurants.
Anyway, they're made only with the freshest egg possible because the older an egg gets, the less volume it has inside its shell.
A small hole is made in the slightly more pointed end of the shell to get the egg out which is then beaten with herbs, spices and flavourings which vary person to person and family to family. I think the most common is fine lemongrass paste, black pepper, Khmer chives and Thai fish sauce but I've seen many others, too. Lots of people add a little sugar, but I don't like it that way.
Then, the mixture is poured back into the shell using a funnel and the eggs are placed in these tray things that look like bamboo or metal versions of supermarket egg cartons to hold them upright. The trays are put over steam and the eggs cooked just enough that they won't leak out. Finally, they're skewered, fitting two or three to a stick, and barbecued.
Pretty good.
>>
>>7441013
To be clear, barbecue is just "ang."
"Saht" is related to Indonesian sate/satay and refers specifically to the skewers and I wanted to clear that up. Much of Cambodian barbecue is done on skewers.
>>
>>7441013

I did, but I didn't know that was what it's called. delicious. I tried everything I could get my hands on but never asked what a lot of it was. spent around 4 months there in total in 2007. went back two years ago and was amazed at how much busier phnom penh was. went back to sihanoukville as well and left after two days as it was just too crowded. I'd like to go back to kep at some point. I hear that it is still relatively laid back there.
>>
hey george!
>>
>>7440753
stfu
>>
>>7441063
hi, how are you
>>
>>7441063
fyi, this is literally george from class... fuck the police
>>
>>7440754
It's also what caused them to start eating insects.
>>
>>7440947
>Is there anything specific you'd like to know?
Yup, what's a good example of what a typical Khmer person might eat in a day? I mean home cooked stuff.

Some ideas for pescatarian things to make would be good too.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.