[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do so many people shudder at the idea of eating offal? Is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: 267A.jpg (39 KB, 616x306) Image search: [Google]
267A.jpg
39 KB, 616x306
Why do so many people shudder at the idea of eating offal? Is it a cultural thing?
Just made some pate from chicken livers, it's pretty great.
>>
>>7440500
I don't really have an interest in eating liver or kidneys, as their main function is to filter wastes.
That being said, I grew up around the wilderness and have eaten moose nose, moose heart, moose tongue, beaver tail and probably other things I can't recall.
>>
>>7440500
I eat liver and kidney, I recognise those in the picture (and the brain, but I've never had it). What are the others?
>>
as long as I can chew it easily I'll eat anything. I rubbery offal makes me feel sick though.
>>
>>7440500
I had liver once, it was offal
>>
>>7440667
Please offal yourself.
>>
>>7440650
sweetbreads and tongue i think
>>
>>7440667
>>7442653
These puns are offal
>>
>>7442664
I think they're great. Then again, I am a glass offal type of guy.
>>
>>7440500
It's a suburban "meat comes from the store" thing.

You can probably correlate vegetarianism, aversion to organ meat, and homosexuality pretty closely. Someone should make a graph.
>>
>>7440500
I would try different parts out of curiosity and maybe even enjoy them somewhat

But in the modern age where you can just go to the store and buy choice cuts of meat, it makes sense that people would buy those instead

If I hunted and personally killed something I would probably use as much of it as I could
>>
>>7440500
cultural thing, it's associated with poverty
like Mercedes being associated with wealth, merit has little to do with it

I got a really good book called "chacuterie and french pork cookery" by jane grigson, would recommend

>mfw working on a farm
>everyone complaining about the poor food they eat
>complaining about eating fried liver with onions
>ask why he didn't ate thyme (which we grow) and blend it into pate
>he looks at me like Ijust stepped out of a spaceship
>>
>>7440500
Liver sausage is delicious, I love it on bread (esp. rye)

From what I understand liver is super rich in iron, but I hated the taste as a kid and have not tried it since

Strangest thing in this category I've eaten was the heart of a goose. It's similar to liver but I liked it better.
>>
File: 11232110_5471ceb91dd07.jpg (36 KB, 500x357) Image search: [Google]
11232110_5471ceb91dd07.jpg
36 KB, 500x357
Motsunabe
>>
>>7440500

fucking pate. you make me sick. basically eating cat food. livers are tasty but not when they have the consistency of a whipped pudding
>>
>>7443901
pretty sure pate was a thing before canned cat food
>>
>>7443907

ya, and there have been special tables made to eat live monkey brains out of the skull for a long time too. doesn't mean it's not disgusting.
>>
>>7440500
I'll eat anything but kidneys. No matter how you prepare them they still taste slightly of piss. Heart and tongue are the best things to put on a sandwich.
>>
>>7440500
Best meat I ever had was some moose heart cooked slowly over for 6 hours with various vegetables. The taste is a crossover between liver or some intestine and good piece of beef.

If you don't generally like intestine taste I would recommend heart. Beef heart is pretty good too when cooked right, but Pig's heart does not taste so good in my opinion.
>>
>>7443939

you canadian?

heart is my favorite part of any wild animal. moose, elk, deer, even rabbit. i was a little guy in newfoundland and my aunt and uncle trapped rabbits in the winter, if they got 40 or so at a time we would make a pot of rabbit heart stew. shit was awesome! way better than chicken heart stew, which is still pretty tasty.
>>
>>7443945

i would rather eat brains than pate. not live monkey brains, but at least brains have some fucking texture.
>>
>>7443923
>comparing chopping liver to eating live monkey brain straight from the skull
okay cya
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.