[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm going on a road trip to Portland in a couple weeks.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 4
File: needfud.jpg (99 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
needfud.jpg
99 KB, 800x600
I'm going on a road trip to Portland in a couple weeks. Where/what should I eat there? Also alcohol recommendations are welcome.
>>
>>7436058
drink water
>>
>>7436058
dont drink water
>>
>>7436058
I love Maine
>>
>>7436080
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwK2Qa8hhBQ
>>
>>7436080
I should clarify: Portland, OR.
>>
>>7436088
then don't go
>>
>>7436058
Try not to trip on all the homeless.
>>
PDX is probably the best food city in the country; do some real research instead of getting advice from here.

I haven't been in a few years, so my only real advice is don't fall for places that have long lines. There's plenty of other amazing shit that isn't over-hyped.
>>
They have a part of the city dedicated to a giant bookstore and meme trucks.
You will have sex there.
>>
>>7436264

I lived in Portland for 5 years and never once found what I was looking for at Powell's.
>>
Order the vegan sprouts and fair-trade spring water
>>
>>7436058
Drive up to Seattle for a visit, but don't stay long; we only want your money, not you.
>>
>>7436088
There is no good food in Portland. Sauce: I live here. The pizza all sucks.
>>
>>7436283
It's all usually really overpriced too. I only go for foreign language stuff I can't find on Amazon.
>>
>>7436305

Portland >>>> Seattle
>>
>>7436080
Mainefag here

Anytime anyone says Portland they mean the good one

Still it's okay

Get a twizzler OP
>>
>>7436316
Keep thinking that.
>>
>>7436339

Nobody who's spent time in both thinks of Maine as "the good one".
>>
Last time I went there was with my dad for a pest control conference/convention, and the best there was voodoo doughnut. ODB was my favourite. Pike's Place is still superior to all of poortland though.
>>
i've been to portland 3 times

all i've ever heard of is a hipster donut place called "voodoo donuts"
>>
>>7436374
>>7436386
are you being serious
>>
>>7436374

>pike's place is still superior to all of portland
>tourist trap is better than hipster wonderland

Well this is pretty obvious bait.
>>
>>7436374
>>7436386
It's just some meme bakery, don't even bother with it, it's shit. It's not shit, but it's not remarkable in any way. Not worth the hassle.
>>
>>7436058
Deschuttes Brewery m8. Good food, amazing beer.

Black Butte Porter is a must.
>>
>>7436374
...It's called Pike Place. Also, the only good food to be found there are Chuckar's Cherries.
>>
>>7436058
Go to roxys Hawaiian
Get extra spicy garlic chicken

Go to black bear diner or biscuits cafe, everything is good there.
>>
>>7436476
>Go to black bear diner
Had prime rib there last month
pretty mediocre
>>
>>7436476

>roxys hawaiian

As both a former Hawaii fag and Reedie I can assure you it's not worth your time to drive out to fucking Beaverton for half assed mainland style plate lunch.
>>
File: 1431066862258.png (50 KB, 183x227) Image search: [Google]
1431066862258.png
50 KB, 183x227
>listing the tourist traps
>complaining about the city
>>
Black Bear is just a typical chain restaurant like Denny's or Applebee's. Nothing special at all.
>>
>>7436058
Just do a bunch of heroin with any one of the filthy disgusting homeless hipster wastes of space, no need to eat food
>>
Portland Is literally a meme city.
>>
>>7436523
fuckin reedies

OP, get Anna Thai Basil at the food trucks
fuccin good
>>
OP, check out the indian/egyptian food carts at 4th & Hall in downtown
Or go to Lardo, which is a small portland chain that used to be a cart (it's a bit expensive tho)
Or put aside your dignity and go to the Hot Cake House on Powell for some slow service and greasy trucker food
Or go corporate and just eat at burgerville (no hate, burgerville is great)
The hawthorne food carts are overrated. Fuck potato champion
If you like Japanese fusion sorta stuff look up Yataimura Maru on Division
But if you want to go full /ck/ go to mcdonalds
>>
luc lac wasnt too bad.
>>
Surprised no one has said Pok Pok.

Shit is fucking based as hell.
>>
If you like bbq Clays Smokehouse is pretty good on 30th and division. Theres also a big foodcart hub next store with about 15 trucks including a beertruck. There are foodcart hubs like this all over the city.

Boneyard beer is really good. I like the red. Rogue is good too but you buy that pretty much anywhere.

Voodoo is cool but a waste of time. They just put bacon and cereal on good dohnuts...cool

Salt and straw is really good icecream. Also on division on eastside.

If you want to watch some old people fuck check out the oregon theater or the paris.

Everyone raves about this place called PokPok. I've never been there because its always packed.

Saturday market is a pretty cool scene.
>>
>>7437213
Also for drinking.

The Landmark is pretty cool.

Devils point is fun. Sassys is also good.
So is Marys
>>
>>7437213
>Salt and straw is really good icecream.
fuck salt and straw and fuck you
move back to california
>>
You have to do research on most places because in Portland many places dont do reservations and if you dont get there early, you should be prepared to get on a list and go drink for 2 hours. One other issue is OP didnt say where he is coming from - I will offer a mix, but as an example though there are some good bbq places here, I wouldnt necessarily go if Im from the south. Anyway...

Easier, good places. Most have a lot of activity, so fun places to go out.
Pok Pok
Toro Bravo (I like the bar around the kitchen)
Tasty and Sons (suggest for breakfast/brunch)
Screen Door
Ava Genes (you wont likely get a reservation, good luck with limited walk in)
Clyde Common
Yakuza

Food trucks are given nostalgic love which inflates reviews on sites like Yelp, so good luck.

2 places that have a pretty unique vibe are The Kennedy School and Montage (get the dirty mac and a mickeys grenade). I also suggest going to. Timbers game followed by stops in downtown shit hole strip clubs.
More formal
>>
>>7437528
I was born and raised here bitch. I live down the street from salt and straw. When its not overloaded with tourists on the weekends, its a good place to grab a scoop.

What's ironic is most people who complain about cali fags moving up here are more "californian" then people they bitch about.
>>
>>7436343
Can confirm, currently living in seattle. Seattle sucks
>>
>>7437219
Mary's is my favorite place to go to drink and have burritos
>>
>best recommendations are roach coaches

Culinary wasteland.
>>
>>7436058

Weed and weed eatables
>>
Everyone will say PokPok, but the reason to go is the fish sauce wings. The rest of the food is good, but not amazing.

Protip: go across the street to the Whiskey Soda Lounge and order two orders of fish sauce wings and some booze. Same owners, same recipe, no wait.

Ecliptic Brewery is top notch, their peach sour that they just released is the fucking tits.

If cider is your thing, Bushwhacker cider is cool, the SE location is the better of the two. There's also the Reverend Nat's tasting room, but IMO most their cider tastes like old kombucha, and not in a good Spanish kind of way.

For burgers, the two best places are Lardo and Slowbar/Slowburger.

Distillery row can be fun, I'ma local and I've never done the tour.

Cascade Brewing Barrel House just does sours, if that's your thing, do it.

Ox is great if you're feeling fancy, it's out of my price range but I've only heard great things. Same for Le Pigeon.

Katchka is my new favorite restaurant, everything was great.
>>
>>7438912
Oh yea, and weed.
>>
>>7438560
edibles*
>>
>>7438912

>go across the street to the Whiskey Soda Lounge

Fucking this.

I haven't been for a few years now but last time I was there there was something like a 30 minute wait on a weeknight so we just did WSL.

Mostly small plates inspired by street food, but it was delicious and the place was practically empty.
>>
>>7438912

What do you think of Andina?
>>
>>7438947
DESU I don't go to the west side much so I haven't been there.
>>
>>7438957
>T B H turns to DESU
jesus I've been gone a while
>>
Oh yea, I almost forgot. March is Portland dining month, so a bunch of restaurants will have 3 courses for $29.
>>
>>7436406
>>7436436
still the only place on the west coast to find a half decent chowder
>>7436374
voodoo doughnuts is honestly crap, there's this chinese owned dunkins ripoff here in vancouver canada called duffins and it's way better than voodoo, but of course no one cares cause it doesn't have meme doughnuts with bacon or other stupid shit.

anyway OP try to get some biscuits and gravy, not really a portland only thing but it was kinda invented there and it's the best there. don't go to brunch places though, hipster brunch is shit
>>
If you have the money, go to Le Pigeon. What a great place.
>>
Portland has a pretty great food scene. When I was still in the industry, I worked at Clyde Common, Le Pigeon, Pok Pok, and a few nights here and there at Park Kitchen. Everyone always raved about Paley's Place, but I never felt like Vito's food was particularly interesting, and his staff never executed it well.

Pok Pok/WSL has a huge fence between it and the house to the east because I used to slaughter suckling pigs and roast them in the backyard when a friend lived there. They got tired of the screams and customers bailing on the lunch rush.
>>
>>7437926
Im this guy
>>7438912
This guy is legit.

Ox is good, but pricey. They do this meat plate thing that is great, and the sweet breads are crazy good - fuck the Andrew Zimmerman need to look like youre eating something crazy, they are actually delicious. He also mentions beer spots, but I think you might be better off finding a tap house and just going and getting multiple flights. We have so many spots, the weak ones mostly cater to hop centric beer and most dont mind that. Cascade brewing is the best sour beer place in the country, with its only real competition being in Denver...it is a truly unique place and probably a must have if you like anything close to a sour beer.

I wrote my early post while shaving, and now Im drunk. So yeah.
>>
>>7436058
N/NE:
Grain & Gristle, Old Salt, Bollywood Theater on Alberta for Indian, Bamboo on Alberta for sushi (best sushi in the region at any of the 4 Bamboo locations), Lincoln, Ox, Yakuza, Pok Pok (and Pok Pok Noi for the same menu in a smaller place with no wait)
SE: Nostrana, Le Pigeon, Ava Genes, Pah Dee, Navarre, Laurehurst Market
Downtown: Clyde Commons, Ringside for a classic steakhouse, Tasty and Alder, Multonomah Whiskey Library.
I don't spend much time in NW and when I'm there it's not to eat. Most of the good breweries have good food. I like Bailey's taproom downtown - you can order legit Mexican food from Santeria across the street and they'll walk it over.
Enjoy your visit here. Drink excellent coffee (my actual industry). Don't go to VooDoo (Blue Star if you need fancy donuts is fine)
>>
File: fieri1.jpg (96 KB, 600x754) Image search: [Google]
fieri1.jpg
96 KB, 600x754
>>7440388
Second for Nostrana. Fantastic Italian place, good cocktails, decent prices given the quality.

If you're feeling fancy and want to spend money, but also want a steak, The Ringside Steakhouse is amazing.

Killer Burger and Sizzle Pie are great drunk food / solid burgers/fries and great by-the-slice pizza. Killer Burger has a couple locations, one on SW 3rd or 4th I think - Sizzle Pie is in downtown proper.

There's a neat bar on Killingsworth called Killingsworth Dynasty that is pretty hip, good atmosphere, not-too-expensive cocktails / well drinks, and usually has a great DJ on the weekends. Just down the road from it, on Killingsworth, is a sweet divey bar called The Florida Room. These are out-of-the-way locations, but a local's recommendation.

There's a shit bar that's too crowded and pretty fucking memey called Ground Kontrol that's an arcade bar - Pac Man, Pinball, Raiden, and shitty stadium food. The drinks are $3 though so it's a nice cheap way to get drunk. It's fun if you're really into Arcade Games, which I'm not, but it's worth mentioning.

Finally - midrange cuisine [not too expensive but not cheap/drunk food tier] I prefer Nicolas Restaurant. I believe they also have a couple locations, but it's basically really bomb Lebanese/Mediterranean Cuisine.

/portlandfood/ general I'm diggin' it cu/ck/s
>>
>>7440465
I agree with all these recs, check out deals for Portland Dinner month. Portland /ck/ thread is fun for me. I'm drunk at Branch rn and
>>7440388 is my post
>>
Not exactly Portland, but ABV Public House in Hillsboro is a great place to go during happy hour. I go for the ciders
>>
>>7440620
Burbs leave
>>
>>7436306
>Maine fag detected
Prove me wrong by telling me what the former occupation of the homeless dude that is usually standing in-front of pioneer courthouse in the mornings is? He wears glasses and beanie.
>>
File: image.jpg (167 KB, 1001x667) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
167 KB, 1001x667
Didn't Jello have a song about staying the fuck out of Portland? Night of the Living Rednecks or something. Drive a few miles north and enjoy some edibles while you still can.
>>
>>7441585
Portland was a different place in the 70s
>>
>>7440388
Coffee in P-town is definitely something you should drink too much of. Stumptown is great of course. Barista makes some dope latte art. Almost every coffee places aside from chains has good coffee here.
>>
>>7436058
http://www.franksnoodlehouseportland.com/

don't miss this place
>>
Anybody go out for cheap Vietnamese on 82nd?
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.