[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it true that American produce is mediocre?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 8
File: image.jpg (142 KB, 750x676) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
142 KB, 750x676
http://www.vox.com/2016/2/12/10972140/fruits-vegetables-taste-better-europe
>>
File: 1443073615065.jpg (133 KB, 500x557) Image search: [Google]
1443073615065.jpg
133 KB, 500x557
>>7435994
>>7435994
Maybe so, but our burgers are way better, and that's all that matters.
>>
>>7436001
Your burgers are fucking shit m8
>>
>>7435994
FUCK YES the produce here is medeocre...well the stuff in the big chain supermarkets are horrible, bland, and underwelming.

i think its because in america everything is able to be had at any time of the year. regardless of weather or not something is in season it is still available, and that means picked before its ripe to be shipped and sold. its fucking shitty man

i love me some farmers markets though, those niggas knwo whats up
>>
>>7436034
>five guys
end thyself my brethren
>>
>>7436035

Basically this.

Our supermarket meats aren't any better: bred for fast growth & maximum yield at the expense of flavor.
>>
>>7436037
If that's the best you've got, you do realise that they've expanded to a few other countries, right?
>>
>>7435994
I got you covered, gave your site +1 click. I use adblock btw ;). Vegs taste the same btw.
>>
>>7435994
Depends on your source for fruits and vegetables. If you're like most Americans and get them at the supermarket then yes, what you'd find at a French, Italian, Spanish, Swiss or even German supermarket is better. (Maybe not in the east part of Germany, though). To be fair, food (including fruits and veggies) is cheaper in America, so it's a you get what you pay for situation.

Those Americans who get their vegetables and fruits from farmers' markets are often getting great stuff - as good or better than what you find in Europe, but with a little less variety. Of course you pay closer to European prices for it.
>>
>>7435994
I don't know anything about European produce, but American produce has, for a long time, been selectively bred for appearance and durability rather than flavor.
>>
Yes very.
Worst place to buy tomatoes
>>
>>7435994
>Vox

Not worth the cost of the power it took for my monitor to display the URL.
>>
>anti-america shitposting
>image.jpg

What a surprise.
>>
but hol up

i've always heard north americans are incredibly fortunate/blessed 'cause we have latin america to produce fruit/veggies for us.

grow fruit in ecuador, put it on a boat, immediately enjoy it fresh in america during the winter.
>>
>>7436113
You're still getting fruits that have been bred to be stable and durable so as to endure the long journey.

I mean, it's still awesome to get delicious tropical fruit year round, but it's not top tier produce by any means.
>>
>>7436110
>>7436110
See for yourself.
Buy olives at Albertsons and compare it to the olives you get from an ethnic restaurant that imports their goods.
Immense difference in quality
>>
>>7435994
Honestly yeah. I lived in California for about 20 years and I just moved to Bogota, Colombia and their stuff is sooo tasty it's a crazy difference.
>>
>caring about the taste of vegetables
I eat them only for the nutrients
>>
>>7436236
Well there is reason to believe that less flavorful vegetables contain lower levels of nutrients, so using flavor as your guide might be a good idea.
>>
as a euro in america, meat definitely has a strange taste here

also tomatoes, but other veggies aren't so different
>>
American vegetables are big and cheap but they taste like nothing and all their sauces have a bunch of added sugar.
>>
>>7436109
I still can't believe that people give a shit about any of the non-credible trash that Vox writes.
>>
photo shows tomatoes and potatoes

those were new world foods

TOP KEK. EUROFAGS ON SUICIDE WATCH

europe didnt have cuisine until blacks and native americans cultured them
>>
>>7435994

Fuck off, up here in scandinavia, all shit is just imported, today i realised my potatoes was from egypt.

This land is too harsh for anything good to grow, it's all roots and weird shit like asparagus.
>>
>>7436236
>caring about the taste of vegetables
That's the very point. American customers don't care much about the taste, so producers don't care either.
(At least, that's what the article says.)

Eurocuck here. Supermarket tomatoes suck compared to farmer market tomatoes ; especially in winter. So comparing "American tomatoes" (probably supermarket tier) to small village street market in a village lost in southern Italy tomato is retarded. Or fame seeking / click baiting.
That being said the general idea that 'Murica and Yurop look at food (and a lot of stuff) in diametrically opposed ways is true. And both consider the other dumb for it.
Washed or unwashed eggs for example, or automatic/manual transmission. Using corn syrup or favouring cane/beet sugar over it, nanny stating some things, while regulating in a different general direction in the case pointed in the article.
>>
>>7436615

You're an idiot.
>>
File: 1378156289251.jpg (203 KB, 1162x850) Image search: [Google]
1378156289251.jpg
203 KB, 1162x850
>>7435994
Placebo and anti-American sentiment. Like how people claim to be able to taste the difference between tap and bottled, organic and GMO. It's all the same shit.
>>
>>7436037
A decent burger that is overpriced and overrated.
>>
>>7435994
Garlic is terrible in the US.
>>
>>7436657
No, he's pretty much right. In the US cheap, safe food was what was valued. This led to agricultural policies and regulation that favored producing food on a massive scale, regardless of how it tasted because we could always pour ketchup/ranch/mayo/bbq sauce all over it, then pile on some incredibly cheap cheese and be good to go. After making it through the Great Depression and WWII plenty was more important than quality by a longshot, and advertising was more than happy to sell that to us as a modern aesthetic as food scientists figured out new ways to create food with less and less actual food in it. Not entirely dissimilar from what Canada and England went through, just more extreme and on a grander scale.

But in parts of Europe where the food roots run deeper the regulation is applied differently. It's used to protect traditional foods because they're fucking good, and the people appreciate them enough that they're willing to pay a premium for them. There's no race to the bottom in terms of food price because many Europeans do not want to compromise the quality of what's on their plates, even if it meant they could pay as small a percentage of their incomes on food as Americans do. The trade off is not worth it to them.

Americans who share the European sensibility have no voice other than their wallets. Government policy has been all Big Agra all the time since the Nixon administration, and was leaning that way well before. So Americans who want the good stuff find hippie or Amish farmers who still grow the good stuff, and pay a premium for it.
>>
>>7436769
Damn dude this is the best post I've read on this board
>>
>>7436769
>hippie or Amish
Not sure your taxonomy but I always go with the best new age moonbats in agriculture: theosophists and their biodynamic cult. Junk food apologists can rage all day about water is a chemical muh antivaxxers, but the proof is in the flavor. I'm not starving, I don't need your golden rice, gimme some expensive weird produce that was hand picked by a 20something white girl who unironically believes Saturn controls the soul. You passportless flyovers can gorge on GMO corn syrup, no thanks to that.
>>
>>7435994
Everything tastes like shit compared to Australian produce.
>>
>>7435994
Why can't we get out of season vegetables and fruits year round the way the Americans can: the post.
>>
>>7436076
>>>/mlp/
>>
>>7435994
In general if you buy produce in a supermarket it will be trash. You almost have to grow your own or go to a farmer's market. I don't think I've eaten a tomato from the store in 5 years that wasn't canned
>>
>>7436769
this
>>
>>7436078
I live in the easten part of germany and still haven't found a fucking tomato with any sort of taste.
So i survive on pepper bells exported from spain
>>
>>7435994
>fruits and vegetables taste better in Europe
TOPPEST OF KEKS

This is the worst case of "Europe is a country" I've seen in a while. I'm living in Norway right now and all produce that's not cabbage, carrots, potatoes or berries is absolute shit.
>>
>>7436686
there is literally a taste difference between tap and bottled though, especially if you live in cascadia with good quality tap water, most bottled water is just pure H20 and it tastes a lot different.
>>
>>7436686

this.

>muh fresh produce is b..better than urs yanks h..haha we we're good at s...something

fucking faggot stuttering yuropoors
>>
>>7435994
depends what fruits and veggies im from the US living in Europe and its hard to find good oranges and bananas here tropical fruits in general are alot better in the US tomatos are shit here to and thats saying alot because i thought US store tomatos where shit before i came here
>>
>>7435994
Who gives a fuck about Europe? (no one) The produce is fine. not sure what the fuck people expect.
>>
>>7438906
Europeans? More people live in Europe than the US
>>
>>7438906

I expect "delicious", not "fine".
>>
>>7438950
get off your fat ass and do something about it.
>expecting
this is why your land is no longer great.
>>
>>7438906
U mad?
>>
>>7438979
I already do something about it. I grow what I can (it's not much given I don't have a lot of space), and I shop at farmer's markets instead of supermarkets whenever possible.

My point was not to complain, but rather to answer the question posed in >>7438906
>>
File: mr davies farm.jpg (97 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
mr davies farm.jpg
97 KB, 640x640
>>7438992
nah. but gimmie your best shot
Superior American apples reporting in
>>
File: good.png (9 KB, 267x189) Image search: [Google]
good.png
9 KB, 267x189
>>7438993
I appreciate your diligence (for real)
>>
>>7438650
Oh that's probably our fault, since we export those watery fucks. On behalf of the Netherlands, sorry.
>>
>>7438677
I'm pretty sure bottled water is not high-purity distilled m88
>>
>>7436615
>>7436769

Here's a (you) for the great posts, lads.

(polite sage for off-topic)
>>
>>7435994
Well, American produce isn't really American either. All the work is done by illegals that get paid below legal wages since they don't pay taxes either. The only native farmers just mass produce corn for subsidies and sell it for HFCS production, which in turn is flooded everywhere.

At the same time, of course, they demand that undeveloped economies follow the same "free trade rules" they themselves blatantly trample with these practices. It's an investor's nation, not a citizen's.
>>
>>7436393
>weird shit like asparagus.

No. You are weird shit.

However, the point about the land stands. I experience much of what yankeedoodles describe here whenever I visit Costa del Sol. I'm thinking of building a greenhouse and starting to grow tomatoes of my own this summer, and this garden gem variety has my curiosity.
>>
>>7440813
my father had a joke on that: dutch tomatoes are the fourth state of water
>>
When I was in the US last month, I really did not eat any fruit for 3 weeks, because I was afraid of the things they sold in the fruit aisle in the supermarkets.

All way to shiny, bright and big and perfect to be edible. I'm 100% sure that all the apples and shit where made out of plastic and spray painted or some shit, but there is no way that stuff like this grows on a tree.
>>
>>7441408
There's plenty of good stuff, but it isn't in the supermarket. It's seasonally available from local farms. In the fall you can get the best apples you've ever had from New York State or Washington. But off season apples in the supermarket are flavorless at best, and flavorless and mealy at worst, in spite of looking perfect.
>>
>>7438659

Well you do live in a frozen wasteland.

But at the same time the Mediterranean is also a part of Europe, and it has probably the best diet in the world.
>>
>>7440862
I know right, you can get decent tomatoes in the Netherlands like tasty tom but what we export is indeed the fourth state of water
>>
>>7441408
Get a load of this GMO-fearing, anti-vaxxer eurolard

Jealous of our freedoms much?
>>
>>7436045
You really could substitute a number of things (bread, dairy, eggs) in that sentence and still be on the mark. The state of supermarkets in the USA is depressing.
>>
>>7438732
Go back to /int/ where people actually care about your shitposts, maybe
>>
>>7441595
>The state of supermarkets in the USA is depressing.
That's because most of what people buy in supermarkets is garbage. Do you think supermarkets make lots of profit on produce, meat and grain sales? Nope. Most of what they sell is prepared value added products: heat and eat food, snack food, frozen dinners, soft drinks and ready to eat food. There's not much incentive to keep a variety of highly perishable stuff when that's just a small portion of their business. And given the choice of sturdy, good looking fruit and veg or better tasting stuff that has a shorter shelf life and doesn't look as good the former is the smarter business decision.
>>
Tfw u live in Central Valley California and have the best farmers markets in the world.
>>
>American farmers put an emphasis on yield and durability, not flavor

pretty much sums it up. Americans have lower standards in taste
>>
>>7441844
eurofags so asspained they will literally speak with confidence on matters they havent a clue. clinical autism
>>
>>7441857
stay mad
>>
>>7441606

don't you ever fucking tell me what to do ever again, fuckface
>>
>>7441922
It's true. Fruits and vegetables don't sell in America based on taste. No one is offering tastes of the apples, melons or pears in the produce section of the supermarket. This stuff is sold on looks entirely, with large and sturdy being the main aesthetic.
>>
>>7441408
That's just the carnauba wax m8.

Generally, buy what's in season and it'll be better. Shop at local grocery chains, because odds are they'll try to locally source at least some of their produce. Better yet, shop at farmer's markets.
>>
>>7442478
eat shit and die
i am telling you to do this
>>
>>7436037
Five guys is the Reddit of burger joints

Kill yourself
>>
>>7438223
This, you cunts don't even know what you are missing out on.
>>
File: kokoski.jpg (139 KB, 1200x885) Image search: [Google]
kokoski.jpg
139 KB, 1200x885
>>7435994

I'm from Poland and honestly groceries bought in supermarkets are probably the same shitty quality as in the western Europe and America, but we have unbelievably wide range of local, extremely tasty products ready to buy from farmers or in small grocery stores.

The other thing is that supermarket food bought in Poland seem to be tastier than in western Europe. Maybe that's because even in supermarkets most of vegetables are polish.

Anyway if you want to try some true food, come to Poland. Maybe it's sometimes too greasy, but not as greasy as American.
>>
>>7435994
Depends on the source. A tomato grown by a Dutch farmer is going to be large, juicy but have absolutely no taste at all. Might aswell drink a glass of water.
Meanwhile an Italian tomato would perhaps be a little smaller but actually have a great taste.

So it really depends on where and how the produce was cultivated. The same probably counts for American produce. I'm sure you could get some really good produce at some farmers market if you knew where to look.
>>
>>7436393

>Asparagus
>Weird

Gr8 b8 m8.
>>
Everything American is mediocre.
I fucking hate this country
>>
>>7438218

Golden rice wasn't developed for you, it was developed for malnourished children in tropical countries dependent on rice as a dietary staple, because rice has low vitamin A or beta carotene levels. Golden rice was genetically engineered to produce high levels of beta carotene, and is arguably the best way to end the worlds leading cause of pediatric blindness.

Moonbats like you want children to go blind for the sake of advancing your ideological cause. You disgust me.
>>
File: 2_24364_e.jpg (59 KB, 744x580) Image search: [Google]
2_24364_e.jpg
59 KB, 744x580
>>7438617

Meme tomatoes, but actually delicious.
>>
>>7443833
>still thinking the land outside of america is some golden paradise
>"maybe if i'm self-deprecating an insult a country with hundreds of millions of people, these glorious people will accept me and i'll finally feel good about myself"
>>
>>7443858
pleb
>>
File: red-prince-on-my-table-1024x768.jpg (124 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
red-prince-on-my-table-1024x768.jpg
124 KB, 1024x768
>>7441449

Depends on the variety. Certain apple varieties improve after some degree of cellar storage. Red Prince is my favourite winter apple by far.

http://www.orangepippin.com/apples/red-prince
Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.