[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I bought peanuts in shell to make peanut butter. I open the bag
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2
File: 1448877268402.jpg (25 KB, 630x344) Image search: [Google]
1448877268402.jpg
25 KB, 630x344
I bought peanuts in shell to make peanut butter. I open the bag and some of the shells have mold on them, can I still use the peanuts?

I read that roasting reduces the mold in peanuts but I couldn't find anything definitive about being able to use peanuts that have mold on the shell. The nuts themselves appear to be fine. What say you, /ck/?

Pic related, mfw seeing this mold
>>
For the cost of the bag which isn't a lot, chuck them and get another bag, maybe from a different source.
The cost of a bag of peanuts shouldn't break your bank.
>>
>>7434462
Are you sure I can't use them? ...I'm really poor, man. I'm picking through them now and some are worse than others, do you think I won't die/get sick if I only use the "good" ones?

I know how mold works, I'm just trying to grasp something here. Anything.
>>
>>7434479
They're your nuts man.
>>
>I bought peanuts in shell to
>I open the bag and some of the shells have mold on them
How much time passed between these two?
If they were moldy when you bought them, take them back to the store and demand to be compensated with a new bag of peanuts AND a glass of peanut butter.
>>
>>7434457
probably this
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspergillus_niger
>>
>>7434457

The shell doesn't matter, anon, it's the condition of the nut inside that counts. Protecting the nut from shit like mold is why the sell exists.

Shell them, inspect them, than toss them in the oven and roast them and you'll be fine.
>>
>>7434505
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspergillus_niger
If it is that and you have some high amylopectin rice handy and some yeast you can make chinese rice booze.
>>
>>7434490
The problem with that is that the whole batch might be infested with mold, hence me writing before to get the new bag from a different source.
>>
>>7434490
enough time. the fault lies within myself to have not used them sooner.

>>7434505
Yeah, that's it. Thanks for the link.

>>7434506
I was going through them and there was enough spotting on the insides for me to just consider this all a bust. I would think this too, if it's okay on the inside then it's fine, but I don't know how porous peanuts/their shells are

Thank you guys for the replies.
>>
It's not worth the carcinogens and diarrhea.
>>
>>7434536
That's almost Shakespearian.

“The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves, that we are underlings.”

How porous and fickle these peanut shells.
>>
>>7434561

Beautiful.
>>
Remember when Moot bought a meme copper pan and talked about cooking his cum in it?
>>
>>7434505
>aspergillus niger
>isn't a black gentleman with asperger's
>>
>>7434457
Go back to shop and demand replacement
If they refuse place a complaint and call health and safety in
Never shop there again
>>
File: mLsiIc6.jpg (74 KB, 600x686) Image search: [Google]
mLsiIc6.jpg
74 KB, 600x686
>my food has mold on it
Uh, throw it the fuck away?
>>
>>7434684
Why would you want a replacement from the same batch? Fuck that shit, chuck the bag in the trash and get another from another supplier.

It's a fuckin' bag of peanuts, not platinum bars or some shit.
>>
>>7434457
Seems like you bought that shit from some pakis or indians, they're known for horking off substandard products.

If you buy shit from them, then realize what you're buying. Complaing to /ck will get you nowhere.
>>
>>7434462
Nuts are pretty expensive
>>
>>7434733
No, they're not.
https://nuts.com/nuts/peanuts/jumbo-raw-intheshell.html
>>
>>7434733
Are you some faggot that stands in line for cupcakes and burgers in Manhattan?

We make fun of you.
>>
>>7434457
Take them back to the store and complain? They'll probably give you a new bag and maybe some coupons or some shit. Do not eat anything with mold if it isn't supposed to have mold. Shit can make you very very sick/dead.
>>
>>7434457
Those are activated peanuts. Sell them 2 bucks a piece to health nuts.
>>
>>7434457
if it has sat in the same bag it will all be a bit dodgey but i don't think it will taste any worse.
>>
I doubt the hyphae would grow through the shell. If it did grow through the only risk to you, considering that roasting the nuts will kill fungi, is intoxication from the shit that the hyphae secrete. Should be fine.
>>
>>7434457
so many rare moots these last couple of days, my stock in pepes has plummeted
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.