[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Crabs and Other Shellfish General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 6
File: soft shell crab.jpg (175 KB, 640x428) Image search: [Google]
soft shell crab.jpg
175 KB, 640x428
How does /ck/ like to cook crabs? One month until soft shell season begins.

Also other shellfish general thread
>>
>>7432363
In the popcorn popper at the movie theater
>>
>>7432363
If softshell, deep-fried whole in tempura batter

For normal crabs my favorite is to chop 'em up and stir-fry with black beans or chili paste. They're also good boiled or grilled.
>>
Crab dip and crab cakes and crab pretzels and crab melts and crab crab.
>>
File: low country boil.jpg (113 KB, 720x405) Image search: [Google]
low country boil.jpg
113 KB, 720x405
>>7432380
fried softshells a best
>>
>>7432363
Soft shelled I agree with >>7432380

If hard shelled boil in water with old bay.
>>
File: IMG_20160111_210044-1.jpg (289 KB, 600x802) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160111_210044-1.jpg
289 KB, 600x802
I like to cook shrimps
>>
File: dsc_0030.jpg (3 MB, 3482x2329) Image search: [Google]
dsc_0030.jpg
3 MB, 3482x2329
these lil guys

in etouffee as well
>>
>>7432416
That pic is from a recipe on all recipes
>>
>>7432495
yes, it is. didn't claim i made a low country boil myself.
>>
>deep fry, dice, spicy mayo
>sushi roll
>spicy tuna on top
>>
If I can get some fucking female ones, I like to make'em into she-crab soup. They're such a goddamn rarity up here, though. It's so sad, I could cry, but then I'd have to eat quiche.

If'n I'm cookin' up a pot of boy-crabs, I buys'em fresh and wriggling and boil them in a pot of stock made from dried smoked stockfish with lots of hot paprika and a little celery seed and onion seed powders as well as a few cut-up lemons.
The same stock is also nice for crawfish/mudbugs, which I strongly prefer to crabs of any sort.
>>
>>7432679
Oh, and I don't really like soft shell crabs, but if I find a good deal on the price, I buy'em from time to time. Deep-fry dem sumbitches with some basic frying batter made with seasoned flour and spices.
>>
>>7432679
>>7432686
What's another good way to prepare crawfish? I've never cooked them before, but I'm moving to Louisiana relatively soon and it'll be more fun if I like the local food.
>>
>>7432692
Crawfish gravy and grits is good.
Just make a roux, compound it with chopped onion, celery and green pepper and the same spices from above and use it to thicken a stock into gravy. To make the stock, rip the heads and claws from the little fuckers while they're still alive and crack the meat out the tail shells. Boil these things in a water and tomato juice combo and let it reduce a bit, then strain and filter. Or cheat and just flavour some tomato juice with shrimp bouillon cubes and Mexican tomato stock powder.
To make the final dish, cook up the tail meat, top it off with a little gravy, stir in some crushed dry thyme and serve with some grits. It's kinda like low-country étouffée.
>>
>>7432732
sounds tasty. gonna try that
>>
>>7432679
I can hear your accent through the computer.
>>
What's a good way for me to get my hands on soft-shell crab if I live in flyover country?
>>
>>7435612
Packed in ice, delivered from somewhere that matters
>>
>>7432363
I just learned my county does not require a crab permit for lines but does for traps and scuba.

Does Scuba include a snorkel? That seems like an efficient way to collect those little baitstealing motherfuckers.

Barnstable County (cape cod) MA regs.
>>
>>7433926
What accent is he speaking in?
>>
>>7436735
I read it in cajun.
>>
>>7436774
Close, but no cigar. The dishes are low-country. I even outed one, the crawfish and grits one, as a low-country dish.
See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lowcountry_cuisine

>>7433926
Doubt ya can, friend-o! I'm from Europe originally, but living in the US, I dated an American southerner for seven years and grew to love the food. I cook it lots and have grandiose dreams of introducing my home country to American southern cuisine some day.
>>
>>7436834
>I cook it lots and have grandiose dreams of introducing my home country to American southern cuisine some day.

Southerner here, I would love to introduce any European country to the joys of Southern cooking.
>>
What crab is the best crab?

Dungess crab is pretty good. Never had blue crab.
>>
>>7436867
The UK and Ireland are both starting to grow familiar with southern food. The majority of us from the continent, however, remain sadly unaware.
>>
Lucked out and got 45 blue point crabs for 30 bucks the other day. Boiled in Zatairin's Pro Boil with corn and potatoes. 5 people each had 8 or 9 with some cold beers. Gulf coast
>>
>>7437072

Damn that's a good deal.
>>
>>7437082
My man had an order for 10 dozen can cancel on him. He called me back 3 hours after I first checked because he needed them gone. I'm a lucky duck
>>
File: 1156722562529.jpg (20 KB, 365x419) Image search: [Google]
1156722562529.jpg
20 KB, 365x419
>>7437085

Sounds like I need a crab man.

>mfw living in the Midwest
>>
>>7437088
I want to post a pic but don't know how to strip metadata from mobile
>>
>>7437094
Yes because people will use the exif data to destroy you
>>
>>7432485

fucking crabfags shitting up /ck/
>>
>>7437094
4chan strips metadata off all images
>>
>>7437094
>take screenshot of pic
>paste in paint
>black over any information you don't want seen
>take screenshot of edited pic
>paste in paint
>save image

There you go.
>>
>>7432485

Why are you a crab?
>>
Souse Vide
>>
>>7432490
is that a cock
>>
>>7432363
I love blue crab, specifically for the roe. In the U.S. I'd steam them with a couple cloves of ginger. My favorite thing to do is adding red vinegar to the bowl-like head where all the roe is.

I'm in Korea right now and what they tend to do is marinate them raw in soy sauce for a week. That's pretty good too, but I prefer them steamed.
>>
Me? I'd serve crablegs :^)
>>
>>7432363
I really don't buy shellfish from restaurants because those fuckers never clean the shit and sand out of it. The most they'll do is devein shrimp but that's it.
>>
Is crab butter actually tasty? Ive never had whole blue crabs only precleaned ones but I wanna try whole steamed. Is there anyhing else worth trying crab innards wise?
>>
>>
>>7432490
I have wanted to try Crayfish for-fucking-ever but I've never gotten the chance, I've only once ever seen them offered (as a crawfish-cheese dip, no less) on the menu of a cajun place that closed three days after I moved into my new apartment last year. How does the taste compare to crab and lobster?
>>
>>7440826
I used to catch them (and salamanders and newts) in the little creek in my back yard when I lived in Upstate NY; they were really plentiful up there but I never saw them offered anywhere.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.