[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some dishes that fish and cheese go together?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 7
File: aegreefafae.jpg (3 MB, 4428x3480) Image search: [Google]
aegreefafae.jpg
3 MB, 4428x3480
What are some dishes that fish and cheese go together?
>>
Just tuna melts and tuna casserole
>>
Tuna mac & cheese
Tuna melts
Parmesan and herb crusted fish
>>
>>7429109
Nachos with bits of seared salmon.
>>
>>7429109
Filet-o-Fish
>>
http://tenplay.com.au/channel-ten/masterchef/recipes/tranche-of-cod-viennoise-sabayon-of-grain-mustard
>>
>>7429136
I find you and that image you spam annoying as fuck, well played this time though
Also
Lox and cream cheese
>>
File: sdfgsdfgsdfg.jpg (46 KB, 608x344) Image search: [Google]
sdfgsdfgsdfg.jpg
46 KB, 608x344
>>7429109
fish pie lad. food of the gods.
>>
>>7429109
pretty much any kinda fish in a cheese sauce
>>
File: 1450.jpg (34 KB, 720x486) Image search: [Google]
1450.jpg
34 KB, 720x486
White clam pizza
>>
pussy
>>
File: CRAB-RANGOON_324.jpg (44 KB, 500x380) Image search: [Google]
CRAB-RANGOON_324.jpg
44 KB, 500x380
>>7429109

Pic related. Theoretically they should be made with crab, but most of the time they're made with imitation crap, aka white fish meat.
>>
>>7429212
>imitation crap

no, just crap
>>
File: 1445459350032.png (307 KB, 660x563) Image search: [Google]
1445459350032.png
307 KB, 660x563
>>7429212
seems like half the time I get these, they're just cream cheese.
>>
>>7429236

Yeah, some restaurants skimp on the filling. It's especially common at buffets.
>>
Fish tacos

Snapper goes well with pretty much any smokey/sharp cheese
>>
If oysters count

Oysters rockefeller
>>
File: CrabAndCheese.jpg (44 KB, 535x460) Image search: [Google]
CrabAndCheese.jpg
44 KB, 535x460
>>7429109
It's a tough combination that usually doesn't work. I find canned tuna and cheese do not work well, but people do it. Same goes for shrimp and Alfredo sauce. There are only a handful of fish and cheese dishes that are classics. The ones I can think of are:

Bagel with lox and cream cheese
Anchovy pizza
Seafood quiche
Pasta with bottarga works with aged grated cheese
Clam pizza

There are a few more forced combinations that almost work. Crab Rangoon. Feta can almost go with shrimp when baked in a tomato based sauce. I've also had appetizers made from canned crab, cheddar cheese and English muffins (pic related) that are very trashy, but almost work.
>>
>>7429109
Baked cod parmesan is great.
>>
>>7429201
that looks delicious
>>
File: file_1353570807_large.jpg (56 KB, 618x355) Image search: [Google]
file_1353570807_large.jpg
56 KB, 618x355
"Rommesild" - pickled herring in sour cream. A lot better than it sounds
>>
My work made a crab meat mac & cheese which was really good, I think they used a bechamel sauce and a fair amount of gouda. It had tomatoes, some shredded greens (I think spinach), and diced avocado in it.

Also going to vote for cream cheese and lox, works great together
>>
>>7429410
nvm im retarded, thought op asked dairy not cheese

i guess cheese slices on a fried fish sandwich would be pretty good?
>>
>>7429414
>cheese slices on a fried fish sandwich
Doesn't really work unless you're one of those folks who thinks cheese belongs on every sandwich.
>>
>>7429412
Pretty much this. I can't think of anything else except the fallus o fish at mcdolan's, which was a terrible idea and I seriously don't get how its stayed on the menu so long.
>>
>>7429417

or you just like the combination

it's a shame that the best cheese countries also generally have a strong catholic history cause without that dogmatic bullshit imagine the possibilities, there's so many fucking cheeses in the world idk why people think it makes any sense to say 'cheese' in general doesn't go with fish.
>>
Cod with jarlsberg (a mild, yellow cheese).

Cod fillets and sliced leek, covered in cheese slices, with cream poured over. Bake in oven, serve with potatoes, season to taste.

It's alright.
>>
>>7429206
badumm tsss
>>
>>7429432
>idk why people think it makes any sense to say 'cheese' in general doesn't go with fish.
It's pretty simple, and it's the same reason cheese doesn't go with chicken - you're taking something that has a rich flavor on its own and adding another rich flavor to it, which just muddles up the taste of the dish.

The only reason this has become popular since the late 20th Century is because much of our fish, chicken and cheese have become so flavorless that the combination no longer seems absurd. A farmed tilapia fillet or industrially raised chicken breast combines with flavorless mass produced cheese doesn't seem particularly absurd, because the ingredients are so debased that it doesn't matter what you do with them. It's just like a shit quality pizza - you can pile as many shit quality toppings as you want on it and it seems fine. But if you have a great hand made dough, fresh mozzarella and a sauce made from good tomatoes you'll be more restrained, because you want to show off the quality of your ingredients instead of making a mishmash of them.

In most cases good quality cheese and fish together result in a mishmash of flavors. But the shittier the quality of your ingredients the more likely an anything goes mentality will work.
>>
>>7429490

>
It's pretty simple, and it's the same reason cheese doesn't go with chicken - you're taking something that has a rich flavor on its own and adding another rich flavor to it

you can do that, it's just the art of the chef to balance it. look at le gavroche's menu and tell me that isn't a complete car crash of richness and intensity.
>>
>>7429490
>It's pretty simple, and it's the same reason cheese doesn't go with chicken
have you ever heard of cordon bleu? or chicken parm? or the millions of other traditional dishes that pair chicken with cheese? your a fucking idiot. stop pretending to be an authority
>>
Fillet o fish sandwich from Mickey D's.
>>
>>7429518

I don't think there's "millions of other traditional dishes". There's a handful only, and you named the two biggest ones.
>>
>>7429547
came to post this

has anyone else noticed they started using half a slice of cheese when it went on sale with that mc pick 2 for $5 ?
>>
>>7429547
The Balance For All Food

(Stupid)
>>
>>7429561
Yep noticed that too.
>>
>>7429494
Absolutely. Rules are meant to be broken, and an inspired cook can break with convention to create amazing dishes. Convention exists because most of the time cooks are not inspired, they are just cooking, and a general idea of what goes together well and what is more challenging is useful for everyday cooking. There is absolutely nothing wrong with piling rich flavors on top of each other. It's just difficult to pull off with any finesse. Simpler is generally better if you have decent ingredients to work with.
>>
>>7429177
seconding this. fish pie/admiral's pie/whatever you want to call it is fucking great. especially with some smoked fish in there.
>>
>>7429206
underrated post
>>
>>7429206

kek
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.