[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
hey co/ck/s, I was raised vegetarian and haven't eaten meat
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 1
File: 1454978038251.jpg (22 KB, 604x438) Image search: [Google]
1454978038251.jpg
22 KB, 604x438
hey co/ck/s, I was raised vegetarian and haven't eaten meat once in my 22 years, and now I want to change that because of low energy, low weight, poor health, eating disorder, etc. How do I go about it without destroying my stomach or making me violently ill?

I don't even have the slightest knowledge of how to prepare meat, which meat is from what animal, etc. The closest I've been is eating fish, and I'm still not that good at cooking it properly.
>>
You might be best off eating out a few times to get the idea of what is what first and how end result is when its done right. Kinda hard to know what the end result should be if you've never seen/eaten it.

If you have a weak stomach avoid "red" meats (beef), and go for poultry (chicken, turkey)
>>
>>7427500
If you're eating fish, I assume you also eat eggs and milk too? Just keep adding more of all of that to your diet. Eggs are easy and good breakfast. Get canned tuna and salmon to make tuna and salmon salad sandwiches. Salmon fillets are super easy and tasty for beginner fish cooking.

After fish, I'd suggest adding chicken.
>>
>>7427514
sounds like a plan, my best friend eats meat so we could get dinner somewhere and he could help me figure out what meat I like. n-no homo

>>7427515
yeah, eggs sometimes milk never. Dairy is okay in moderation, but milk just fucking makes me feel sick

haha tuna and salmon are the two fish I can reliably prepare, with some occasional mahi mahi fishsticks or smth
>>
>>7427500
Just eat yogurt or quark or keffir man. Im not vegetarian but you don't NEED meat for energy. Lift for higher test and eat cruciferous vegetables and get plenty of dairy protein
>>
>>7427500

Like the other anons said, start with chicken. Find a place that sells it grilled, or maybe just get a rotisserie chicken from a grocery store. I would stay clear of fried chicken to start with.
>>
>>7427524
>quark
>keffir
dude what the fuck, I'm not a quantum vegetarian or a muslim. I want to try eating meat, plus my nutritionist was the one who brought it up to me in the first place.

lifting isn't much of an option for me, but I do get exercise other ways

>>7427525
ok, I can try that. I don't think I would go after fried chicken anyway, but thanks for the advice
>>
>>7427500

your problem isn't that you don't eat meat. your problem is that you don't eat the right shit. you can eat rice or ramen everyday and call yourself a vegan, but it won't do shit. if you want protein, eat tofu. eat beans. eat peanut butter. eat more calories so you have energy to spare. eat more spinach and broccoli. stay away from vegan ground beef or veggie chicken nuggets. anyone who says you need meat is a fucking liar. trust me, i eat meat. it's highly overrated.
>>
>>7427600
I do eat those things nigger, just not enough. I think meat might help add some variety to my diet
>>
how the fuck do you expect anyone to know the answer to such an obscure question?

your situation is very rare.
>>
>>7427618
just like a stake, right?

see I'm getting the hang of this
>>
i was actually in your exact situation (except i was 20).

i started with fish, then chicken, then red meat, then whatever the fuck. had no stomach issues whatsoever. only problem i had was trying to get myself to eat the stuff without fucking gagging (having been told for two decades that eating meat is wrong). after a few attempts i started to like most of it.

happy to answer any questions.
>>
>>7427600
Ooh I was looking for this because I'm vege too but want to put on weight

I've been trying to set up a daily food routine of

Oats with Whole Milk/Spanish Omlette for breakfast

And generally having something with either rice or pasta in for dinner, usually with fish or quorn meat or stuff like that but I have no idea how to make a good high energy lunch that I can take to work

So far I've been taking 4 pieces of brown bread with butter cheese mayo and quorn meat and some crisps and chocolate too but I do t think that's really doing much for me. Any ideas on what would be better?
>>
>>7427623
> stake
Buffy gtfo
>>
>>7427606

you need to eat more. count your calories. see exactly how much you are eating. it is probably a hell of a lot less than you think.

>>7427692

natural peanut butter. if you ever see a fat vegan, peanut butter is probably the reason.
>>
>>7427703
Never tried it. guess I'll grab some tomorrow.
I fucking love butter and I know that and whole milk are good for gains but I get glue ear so fuckimg bad when I have lots of dairy
>>
>>7427703
>if you ever see a fat vegan, peanut butter is probably the reason.

yeah it wouldn't be the bread or the pizza or the pasta or the chips or the donuts right?
>>
>>7427708

i'm lactose intolerant, so i don't have any dairy. sometimes its a struggle to get more calories. if you just have a hard time eating more food, you might want to consider mass gainer shakes. it's like a protein shake, but have an insane amount of calories.

i eat a raw cup of oats for breakfast everyday with 3tbsp of natural peanut butter and a banana. a lot of guys who do what i do do gomad (gallon of milk a day) but that isn't an option for me. you might want to consider going to /fit/ and read about bulking.
>>
>>7427709

peanut butter is often a daily staple. those things are eaten often, but a lot of fatty vegans use peanut butter as a source of protein, and gorge on it. 1 tbsp of peanut butter has 10% of my daily calorie needs.
>>
>>7427653
how do you deal with the smell? I can't even walk past a chik fil a bc of the smell

>>7427703
>count your calories. see exactly how much you are eating.
my nutritionist said not to do that, probably bc of the whole anorexia bulimia thing
>>
>>7427500
Years of being a vegetarian has made you gay, I'm sorry OP there is no hope
>>
The idea that meat is going to give you energy is idiotic. This is especially idiotic if you already eat fish and eggs. What do you think is so special about red meat? It's literally worse for you than fish in every single way.
>>
>>7427748
I don't think that's why I'm gay but ok

>>7427751
i-is there any other meat than red? green meat doesn't sound healthy
>>
You need meat to give you energy OP. Anyone who tells you otherwise is a liar and most likely Jewish so they can't be trusted. Start eating meat and fix your life now. Fish is for fags.
>>
>>7427754
There's fish, you doofus
>>
>>7427754
Just eat red meat

>>7427751
Has no idea what he's talking about
>>
>>7427743

who are you going to trust? a medical professional, or some guy on the internet?

if you have an eating disorder, obviously there is a lot more to gaining weight than your diet. but if you don't count them, you won't know if you're getting enough. if you eat as much as you can, you might end up in a place you don't want to be again. it's healthy to learn to eat a maintenance diet. if you are trying to gain weight, you only need to eat 500 calories AT MOST over your daily necessary calories.

but don't do it because i said it. you know your own strengths and weaknesses, and you should talk to your nutritionist first. if you are past your eating disorder, don't let them treat you like you are barely hanging on. remember, they only make money as long as you are seeing them, and they will coddle you forever if they can. if you feel you have made it, prove it to yourself. if you aren't in a safe place, keep seeing them and listening to them.
>>
>>7427768
>nutritionist
>medical professional
pick one
>>
>>7427786

i know, it's worse than calling a dentist or chyropractor a doctor...
>>
>>7427500
I had a friend that went through the exact same thing as you at Uni.
Start out small, right now your body lacks the enzymes to digest meat properly and your brain hasn't been conditioned to ascosciate the flavour with fullness and content. Start with mild tasting small amounts of meat, sliced chicken and ham in a sandwich.
One of the easiest ways to cook meat is mince as you can see when its all cooked and safe to eat, no guesswork involved.
Chicken and pork need to be cooked completely through, so that the flesh is opaque and white with clear juice when you cut it.
Beef and lamb only need to be seared on the outside.
Once you've built up the ability to digest meat with small amounts, then you can start to eat normal or large portions of meat in a sitting. Trying to scarf down a leg of lamb without the ability to digest it means you'll just throw it straight back up. I watched my mate waste so much meat in the first few weeks because he loved the taste after being deprived of it all his life and would gorge himself before throwing up because he couldn't digest it.
>>
>>7427792
>orge himself before throwing up because he couldn't digest it.
kek I do that anyway, I guess I'll keep portions small so as to not encourage that behaviour
>>
>>7427789
Well, at least a dentist has a real degree
>>
>>7427500
Eat beans and rice to get the protein and peanut butter to amp up the calories.
>>
>>7427500
Eggs, fish, poultry, nuts. And try cutting processed foods and sugar out of your diet. Use the google for learning to cook.

Most people who have your symptoms are just eating too much processed crap, sugar, and are afraid of dietary fats. Eggs, fish, poultry and nuts are the most palatable proteins you're looking for.

There's really nothing nutritionally wrong with vegetarianism if you're combining starches and legumes to create complete dietary proteins, and if you eat eggs and nuts to get your iron and b12, and get some fats for energy/satiety.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.