[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it worth getting a side of beef and chucking it in the freezer?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: BeefChart.jpg (383 KB, 2561x1773) Image search: [Google]
BeefChart.jpg
383 KB, 2561x1773
Is it worth getting a side of beef and chucking it in the freezer?
Keeping in mind I don't have butchering facilities so I'd have to get it pre-butchered. Would I really be saving much over store-bought?
>>
>>7422691
I don't know.
I grew up on a farm and I do know (bare in mind this is 20+ years ago) a whole slaughtered and butchered animal would cost less than half overall.
How much have times changed?
I do remember it was the best meat I've ever had.
>>
>>7422693
Yeah like I'm looking at it and it seems the per-kg cost of a side is about what the stew-meat goes for in the shop or maybe even less, and you get all those nice steaks on top of it.
I just don't know what the fuck I'd do with kilos of mince; mince is shitty.
>>
>>7422694
Well we gave a lot away, but like I said 20 years ago in rural New Zealand, 5KG of mince would be an amazing gift.
If you have spare time, make pies and even try a gourmet angle? After all, you do have the best produce available.
>>
thanks for the awesome infographic, op
>>
>>7422693
I have these memories growing up aswell, kill one cow and my grandfather would palm off meat to me for months
>>
Fuck now I really want a side of beef. But I don't really have the freezer space..
>>
OP, Once you know for sure what you;d be paying per pound of hanging weight, and the price of cutting and wrapping, then you'd know the price comparison.
I'd pay the extra money for vacuum wrap- it makes defrosting a lot easier and you can keep the meat much longer.
I really like mince, so I'd get most of the round ground up. Round isn;t easy to cook, in my opinion. The slaughterhouse should give you options for how to cut things.
>>
>>7423037
We're looking at about $8(AUD)/kg which by my math is $2.6(USD)/lb hanging weight.

Pretty sure this is cut packed and delivered price, also.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.