[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My milk routinely goes sour a week before the best by date. What
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4
File: IMG_20160228_23248.jpg (36 KB, 450x800) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160228_23248.jpg
36 KB, 450x800
My milk routinely goes sour a week before the best by date. What the fuck is this shit?
>>
Invest in a refrigerator.
>>
>>7422184
>great value

there ya go Cledis
>>
>>7422192
I hardly ever shop at WMT, I usually go to HEB and get their store brand, but same thing. Do I have to get the expensive ($1.50 more) milk to avoid this or something? I didn't think quality/shelf life varied so much between brands.
>>
>>7422184
>milk is shit,
>Almond Milk is king
pinch of salt when you open the milk, it will last to the best by date. worked everytime for me
>>
Your refrigerator isn't cold enough.
>>
>>7422184
I've never had milk go bad before the best by date, hell, they usually are good for a few days to a week after even.
And I get either Walmart or HEB store brand.
>>
>>7422192
it's spelled cletus moron
>>
>>7422211
Thanks, that's probably it. Didn't even consider that.
>>
> tfw from texas and know the wal-mart and heb brand feels
> tfw moved to colorado last year and get $1.99 ultra-pasteurized from fat-free to whole
> tfw expiry is over 2wks away
> tfw don't drink much milk these days because fitness n shit
>>
>>7422220
Remember that the number on the dial represents power and not temperature, unless there's a temperature symbol. So, higher = colder.
>>
>>7422207
Or vinegar or a really small amount of bleach, trust me this or salt will work :^)
>>
>>7422184
I freeze my milk and chop off what I need throughout the week. Never goes bad.
>>
>>7422211
100% this. Turn your fridge temp down and all should be well.
>>
Keep the milk in the back of the fridge. Anything that's close to the door is going to be warmed when it's opened and spoil sooner
>>
Milk doesn't last until the best by date when it's opened you genius. Bacteria and oxygen enter from the air and start multiplying immediately.
>>
>>7422413
Logic is not bad here, but this guy is wrong. If it's cold enough, milk will last longer than the expiration date. Store it in the center to rear of the fridge and make sure your fridge is cold enough. Single dude here and I like milk but not enough to drink a gallon before it expires so I always get the half gallons. I keep my fridge cold and store the milk properly and my milk is always good at least a week later when I notice it's expired and sniff it for goodness before finishing it off. And that's with me buying the milk with the latest expiration date I can find and opening it shortly after bringing it home.
>>
>>7422184

Drink your milk with a glass guy
>>
>>7422227
>UHT
Stop buying that http://www.foodrenegade.com/just-say-no-to-uht-milk/
>>
>drinking milk

it comes from cows and is meant for baby cows, not people
>>
Several possibilities I guess.
Your fridge isn't as cold as it should be
Your vender's fridge isn't as cold as it should be.
There was a breach in the Great Chain of Refrigeration at some point.

Regarding that last one; if you have an hour's drive in sweltering heat home from the store for example your milk will pre-spoil during that. It could also be that your store has poor managing of new stock and don't get it from the truck to the cooler quickly enough.
>>
>>7422207
Salty milk
>>
>>7423019
Except all the lab results support what I'm saying whereas you're just talking out of your asshole. Opened fresh milk goes bad after an average of 3-5 days, UHT milk goes bad after 7-10.
>>
File: keep-milk-safe-infographic[1].jpg (579 KB, 800x1900) Image search: [Google]
keep-milk-safe-infographic[1].jpg
579 KB, 800x1900
>>7423108
>There was a breach in the Great Chain of Refrigeration at some point.
This. Being constantly refrigerated below 40*f will keep your milk a week past the date.
>>
>>7423226
>don't store milk in the door

Fuck you milk fascist cunts, my fridge has space issues as it is without a gallon of milk in the way.
>>
>>7423093
>meant

Like saying weed isn't meant to be smoked
Or words aren't meant to be written
Or fire isn't meant to be played with.

Just because we are the only ones who are smart enough to figure it out doesn't make it wrong.

Ants lick sweet stuff that grows on the backs of aphids , is that "unnatural"?

Why vegans think they can pander to people in a way that hasn't worked on homos for centuries I'll never know.
>>
>>7422184
Check your fridge temp
>>
Best by date meaning unopened. You can open a jug of milk 14 days before best by and it will turn sour even before the date. Open it 2 days before the date and you have longer life than the best by date
>>
>>7422184
a half gallon of milk should be empty long before a week anyway, why would you buy milk if you aren't going to use it? just drink something that doesn't go bad, like water or tea
>>
File: Got-Milk.gif (237 KB, 550x5725) Image search: [Google]
Got-Milk.gif
237 KB, 550x5725
>>7423276
It's not inadvisable to drink milk regularly because it's "unnatural".

Milk has high sugar and calorie content, and does not provide the benefits of calcium or potassium. It also has high cholesterol and saturated fat content.

Milk contains hormones- it is baby cow growth fuel. Lots of foods contain hormones, and I suspect the food tailored by nature/human bioengineering to turn a "65-pound calf into a 700-pound cow as rapidly as possible" (http://doctorklaper.com/answers/answers11/) is one that contains a lot of them.

Finally, most people are lactose intolerant to some degree. (http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/lactose-intolerance)
>>
>>7423637
You could make a poster like this for almost everything short of leafy greens.
>>
File: 821688-600x600-A-1.jpg (74 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
821688-600x600-A-1.jpg
74 KB, 600x600
Buy the organic kind, it lasts like a month.
>>
Drinking out of the bottle can allow germs into the milk and speed up spoilage.
>>
>>7423637
>most people
>33%
I'm not a milk drinker, but thank goodness I'm not lactose intolerant; no food/weather/animal/bug allergies either. Same goes for my kid so far. So dang lucky.
>>
>>7422184
You could try Lactaid, it's some kind of lactose free milk or whatever. But, it takes just like normal milk and lasts fucking forever, like seriously that shit doesn't go bad.
My stepmom turned me onto it.

Also you can buy milk in these shelf stable sealed boxes, that don't start to go bad until you open them, they're pretty convenient too cause they don't need to be refrigerated until you use them, and you can get them in small capacity, like a pint or quart I think, so you can keep a bunch in your pantry and then if you open one and let it go bad it's no big deal cause it's not that much milk.
>>
>>7423637
This chart is bullshit and you are bullshit.
>>
Don't store anything in your fridge in spots that block the ventilation, either.
>>
>>7423731
Sources? Milk DOES have high sugar and saturated fat content. Milk DOES contain growth hormones that are associated with cancer and early puberty in humans. Milk DOES NOT provide a beneficial form of calcium compared to plant sources "Many green vegetables have calcium-absorption rates of over 50 percent, compared with about 32 percent for milk. Additionally since animal protein induces calcium excretion in the urine, the calcium retention from vegetables is higher. All green vegetables are high in calcium"(Weaver, C.M., and K.L. Plawecki. 1994. Dietary calcium: adequacy of a vegetarian diet. Am. J. Nutr. 59 (supp.): 1238-41S.). All these facts come from reputable sources (including the USDA, which is if anything slanted towards the dairy/meat industry)
>>
>>7422184
>My milk routinely goes sour a week before the best by date. What the fuck is this shit?
If this is ultra-pasteurized, ignore the date as a sell by date only, but that when you open it and introduce air, it will degrade within a week of opening.

If the milk is from a local dairy for that store, not some national brand, then switch to the freshest local brand. If you are doing that, then consider that store is doing something wrong. They might get deliveries at 4am, and leave that out til 7am when they feel like putting it away. Stop buying at that store that you buy it from (or routinely start routinely returning it the moment it starts to go off, so they eat the cost, and start to get a clue someone is slacking and costing them money). If can also be there is a case that is frequently not in perfect service, and/or power outages there.

Try buying milk at the pharmacy, or other loss leader priced stores, and enjoy real savings. When my milk is fresh and stored well, it will go past the use by date 2 or 3 days at least and not go bad.
>>
>>7423074
>Blog post
>Source of only anecdote against UHT milk is an article on a milk companys' website

Shitpost better
>>
on the subject of milk i have a question

i bought milk at the end of January with a sell by date of feb 2nd, opened it the day i bought it and it was still good on feb 24th, why is this
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.