[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
False labeling in food
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 7
File: 1200_Wisconsin-Cheese.jpg (732 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
1200_Wisconsin-Cheese.jpg
732 KB, 1200x1200
Recently, a large American retailer was accused of selling Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese that did not actually contain 100% Parmigiano-Reggiano DOP (much of it actually came from Wisconsin, the rest was wood).

http://fortune.com/2016/02/25/walmart-parmesan-cheese-lawsuit/

Why do people continue to defend their "right" to be lied to on the packaging? Whether it's designations of geographic origin, the presence or absence of GMO food, or other factors, there seem to be many people (Americans in particular) who believe that truthful labeling is somehow a violation of their fundamental human rights.
>>
>>7420965
America is China in that it is filled with cheap ripoffs.
>>
>>7420965
The only people fighting truthful labeling are the lobbyists representing industrial food manufacturers.
>>
>Why do people continue to defend their "right" to be lied to on the packaging?

/ck/ has a conniption when a food label discloses allergens on it. You're not asking the right crowd.
>>
File: fagtalk.png (13 KB, 772x392) Image search: [Google]
fagtalk.png
13 KB, 772x392
>>7421123
>conniption
I learned a new word today.
>>
>>7421133
>constipation
I haven't had a turd today.
>>
Wood pulp is used as an anti caking agent in pre shredded/grated cheese. Why is this news?

I never buy pre shredded or pre grated cheese. the cellulose messes with sauce making.
>>
The people who buy pre-ground/shredded cheese don't care that it's not PDO parmigiano-reggiano. They don't know what that means and they don't the difference.

They care about cellulose because their facebooks tell them their Walmart brand cheese has wood in it.
>>
File: 1456616209428.jpg (606 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
1456616209428.jpg
606 KB, 1200x1200
>>7420965
lolwut?
>>
>>7421218
baby cow stomach scrappings. To make the cheese coagulate
>>
>>7421254
wouldn't listing rennet be redundant, tho? since they list whole cows as the first ingredient
>>
>>7421123
Proper usage is "conniption fit"
>>
File: 1454525683464.jpg (28 KB, 350x371) Image search: [Google]
1454525683464.jpg
28 KB, 350x371
>>7421218
nice cheeky comma you son a bitch ;-)
>>
>>7421261
The cheese label making industry in the USA is lacking in voluntary grammar police to proofread their work. Just remember everytime a european says, that Americans are stupid, just remember that the president of europe Albert Hitler started World War One in 1945. During which he killed over 7 billion jews
>>
>>7421330

>everytime

You're not one to be policing any grammar, buddy.
>>
>>7421330
Have dots up on every time
>>
>>7420983
And the shills on /ck/ arguing on their behalf
>>
>>7421330
the goodwin point was quick in this thread...
>>
>caring about meme packaging
>>
>>7421133
Terrible reddit-tier comment.

Not knowing a simple word is nothing to be proud of nor something warranting a blog post.
>>
>>7423014
it's funny you should say that because those kinds of posts are usually downvoted into oblivion

slashdot was like that too, you browse at -1 and the entire site seems stupid. browse at 4 and 5 only, with "funny" filtered, and the site seems to be populated with only intelligent people.

people who crave moderation should not complain about a website that is intentionally unmoderated except for illegal content and whatever the mod who happens to stop by for 5 minutes that day happened to find personally offensive.
>>
>>7420965
it's just the shills man and the fact that people don't look past themselves enough to care about anything else.
>>
>>7423042
>downvoted into oblivion
Terrible reddit-tier comment.
>>
>>7423052
>my entire personal identity revolves around which website I shitpost on
>>
>>7423055
>admitting to using reddit

wew
>>
>>7423080
I have accounts on reddit, slashdot, facebook, cheftalk, and linuxquestions.org

I hope this bothers you
>>
>>7420965
False equivalence. The cheese in question was pic related, cut with food additives to cheapen it; but the purpose of your post is transparently to shill for making it illegal for American cheesemakers to compete with Europeans. And you call it "truth!" Nice doublespeak, lol. No, we'll keep our ability to use accurate cheese names, thanks.

If only you applied one hundredth of the nationalism you show towards *cheese* to your *actual countries* your women wouldn't be constantly raped by Muslims.
>>
File: bepsi_large.gif (26 KB, 483x473) Image search: [Google]
bepsi_large.gif
26 KB, 483x473
>>7423147
you'll defend fake cheese from the backwards hinterlands of America, but you'll turn beet-red with moral outrage if someone in China sells fake fizzy HFCS from the bottle

why do you think this is?
>>
>>7423101
So why are you on 4chan?
>>
>>7423180
to infect it with normie thinking. girls aren't icky and social justice isn't a bad thing.

problem, frogposter?
>>
>>7423187
Serious answer please
>>
>>7423188
srs bsness for a srs question!

have you told you're parents ur a fag yet?
>>
>>7423191
Come one just give a serious answer to a really simple question.
>>
>>7423199
write a reasonable justification for why I should. I may or may not reply.
>>
>>7423147
>compete
Like how China has to compete by stealing brand names?
Where's "muh American innovation?"
We Canadians do it too, I don't think it's right.
Nice Bantz though.
>>
>>7423174
Hundreds of companies make cola, and the government doesn't get to dictate that only Pepsi's is "real" cola.

There is no valid reason why cheese made the same way with the same ingredients must be labelled "fake" simply because it's made in a different place.

It'd be like Mexico demanding that nobody else is allowed to call something a taco, Texas suing Korea over the use of "barbecue," or India starting shit with Britain over tikka masala. You can trademark your *version* of a food, not the entire concept of it. That belongs to everybody.
>>
>>7423223
No one said the USA isn't allowed to make cheese

But don't pretend your counterfeit parmigianino-reggiano is not opportunism trading on consumer ignorance
>>
>>7421330
Go back to Ohio amritard
>>
>>7423223
>you can trademark your "version" of a food, not the entire concept

that is literally what is happening here. They have trademarked the traditional manufacture of their foodstuff and you simply cant use their traditional name for that foodstuff.
>>
>>7423228
how about you go fuck yourself you fucking cheese nazi
>>
>>7420965
>retailer was accused of selling Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
correct me if i'm wrong, but none of the aforementioned brands claimed to be 'Parmigiano-Reggiano', they only claimed to be 'Parmesan'. the first is equivalent to a brand name, while the second is equivalent to a generic name for that type of cheese. anyone who expects real parm-reg in a container like this >>7423147 is simply uneducated or retarded.
>>
>>7423487
Parmesan is a legally recognized designation of origin, not a generic term, as much as the WIDF wants you to believe otherwise

A product that can stand on its own merits doesn't need to be passed off with a European name. Somehow, the WIDF will say it's unpatriotic to say this, while simultaneously asserting that it's perfectly patriotic to name your inferior Wisconsin goods after the superior foreign goods because actually trying to make good cheese, like they do in California and the Northeast, is pretentious shit for fags and gays
>>
>>7423628
Was wondering when your butthurt ass would show up. What's the matter, Wisconsin cheese raped your mom?
>>
>>7423014
You sound exactly like a filthy redditor, you fuck
>>
>>7423628
>Parmesan is a legally recognized designation of origin, not a generic term, as much as the WIDF wants you to believe otherwise
No, that is Parmigiano-Reggiano, Parmesan is just a cheese type you cretin.
>>
>>7423228
>But don't pretend your counterfeit parmigianino-reggiano is not opportunism trading on consumer ignorance
>food producers in the US have to conform to EU laws for products destined to be sold in the US that are entirely made in the US
Goddamn you are retarded.
>>
>>7423645
Wisconsin cheese isn't strong enough to rape anything

Where it excels is insinuating itself into low end chain restaurants, prison cafeterias, and public school lunch programs. The kinds of places where the person eating it lacks the will or the right to demand cheese that isn't chosen for its low price and weapon-grade blandness
>>
>>7423662
Wrong
>>
>>7423693
In 2008 an EU court determined that the name "Parmesan" in Europe only refers to Parmigiano-Reggiano and cannot be used for imitation Parmesan.[11][12][13] Thus in the European Union, "Parmigiano-Reggiano" is a protected designation of origin (PDO - DOP in Italian)

No it is you who are wrong, as usual.
>>
>>7420965
>>7420983
The only issue I have with the GMO label is that it other foods will promote their non-GMO brand as superior when in fact there's no evidence to the fact. It's similar to when Advil labels their product as "acetaminophen free". Of course it is, but it's out of context.

As for a GMO label, go for it, but it'll just another label for pseudo-health - similar to gluten free for non-celiac people.
>>
>>7423700
But you literally posted something that proves I was right

Unless you got epilepsy and started replying to the wrong posts by accident

So let's be clear now: parmesan is not a generic term. It refers to a cheese from a particular place, that place being far from Wisconsin
>>
>>7423722
I wasnt aware the laws of the EU can be enforced in the US on products made and sold in the US.

How dumb can you possibly be?
>>
>>7423701
The drawbacks of acetaminophen are not sufficiently recognized, the difference between the useful dose and the dangerous dose is tiny compared to other OTC painkillers. Your example was poorly chosen, please try again.
>>
>>7423727
Said the guy who had a hissy fit over China stealing American brands and making blatant ripoffs
>>
>>7423737
My first post in this shitshow of a thread is this:
>>7423662
I then proceeded to point out that you are retarded for thinking that EU and Italian laws impact the production and sale of foods in the US.
>>
>>7423732
>GMO may or may not be safe depending on things
>people should be allowed to choose given their individual situation and knowledge of what's being sold to them
Seems like a valid analogy
>>
Why is it American cheese in particular that attracts shills? No other shitposting thread gets this sort of attention but if you dare to call out Americas anti-consumer labelling laws then the floodgates open.
>>
File: Stupid people.gif (718 KB, 500x279) Image search: [Google]
Stupid people.gif
718 KB, 500x279
>>7423662
>No, that is Parmigiano-Reggiano, Parmesan is just a cheese type you cretin.
>>
>>7423886
they hate us cuz they anus
>>
>>7423886
People in other countries are accustomed to having food produced according to a neighboring country's traditions. This teaches them that other the definition of good food isn't "my country's food, at the expense of all other food"

Americans are taught from an early age that foreign foods can and will hurt them (see: bans on raw milk cheeses). Since they never in their lives got a chance to try good food, they have no frame of reference other than "USA USA #1"

So if you suggest that, for instance, Italy produces good cheese and America's imitations just aren't up to the same standard, they get really emotional about it because, lacking any frame of reference about quality (other than words on a screen), they feel that they can somehow convince people that their trashfood is actually good and if only the other person could understand their argument, they would agree. So they start raving about how Wisconsin was settled by people with European DNA and, therefore, surely the substandard quality of the product is just a figment of your imagination. I mean can you show me a published, double blind, peer-reviewed scientific study that proves that I, personally, have tasted and prefer European communist cheese over superior American freedom cheese? You can't, therefore USA #1.
>>
>>7421133
liked and subscribed
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.