[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hummus general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (337 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
337 KB, 800x533
How does /ck/ make their hummus?

>What do you like to eat with it?
>Do you make your own Tahini?
>Do you add vegetables?

I personally like adding Spinach and Mushroom soya-sauce.
>>
>How does /ck/ make their hummus?
I put cooked chickpeas in a bowl and mash them between my well-washed fingers then whip that with tahini, olive oil, lemon juice, grated garlic and minced parsley. Then salt to taste.

Durkadurka breads like taboun and pita/khubz arabiy but also crusty European breads.

I have, but I don't. I hate hulling the seeds.

>Do you add vegetables?
I've never, but you do you.
>>
>>7419763
Good taste my nigga!
>>
>>7419721

Throw boiled chickpeas into the food processor with spices, salt, a bit of tahini and garlic. Once it's pulsed into a fine mush I add extra virgin olive oil and mix it with a fork. I don't use lemon juice. I've added oven roasted bellpeppers into it and it is aight. I usually have it as a spread on a flatbreads or in wraps (or just dipping).
>>
>have vegan friend
>she always makes hummus when I visit her
yuck
>>
>>7419795
Thank you, zanjii.

I forgot that I my grandmother used to do one with pinenut butter instead of tahini. She added Lebanese thyme to that one instead of parsley and often used vinegar in place of lemon juice. That one always had smoked paprika on top, but I've never made it because I can't find pinenut butter where I live.
>>
>>7419721
I buy it and eat it with falafel I make.
>>
>>7419917
Post recipe senpai
>>
File: IMG_20160227_165146704.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160227_165146704.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1944
Literally just made this minutes before opening the thread

White bread sometimes. Otherwise I add it to meals.

Yeah, toast the shit out of it beforehand too, I love the nutty flavour.

>Do you add vegetables?
Maybe red onions if I'm adding it to something afterwards, otherwise no.
I add other nuts and seeds to it though, sunflower seeds, almonds etc.
>>
>>7419721
hummus gives me indigestion, nasty smelling burps, farts and abdominal pains

which is a shame because it's delicious
>>
>>7419917
I'd share it, but the recipe I used uses Asafoetida powder instead of garlic/onions, and the recipe cannot be made without it.
>>
>>7419721
I make mine w lemon juice, parsley, paprika and lotsa cumin. Olive oil of course.
I like it with pocketless pita, lettuce an tomato.
Toasted tahine too.
>>
>>7419917
Falafel and hummus is like eating tater tots with mashed potatoes. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
>>
>>7419991
I get what you're saying, I thought the same thing. They just go so well together, especially when you add some tahini sauce to the mix.
>>
>>7419997
Maybe different seasoning will being variety.
>>
>>7419991
Properly, falafel are meant to be made with fava and not chickpeas. That's how Lebs and Copts make it. It's the filthy Israelis that decided to go 100% chickpea with it.

Try this: get a bag of frozen fava/broadbeans and thaw it out.

Removing and discard the outer shell of each bean then mash the innards between your fingers as described in >>7419763.

Now, add salt, spices and chopped parsley. My grandmother never added garlic since she was likely the only Leb who didn't like the stuff so I don't add any to mine, but if you like it, by all means, add it. As for which spices, I like just cumin.

Next, add roasted chickpea powder/besan flour, just a little at a time, until you make something that holds together when compressed into a ball.

Heat up oil in a frying pan (properly, falafel are not deep-fried but either pan-fried or shallow-fried) and add a few balls of falafel.
Flip them over as they cook and press down on the now-cooked side to form a more patty-like shape than a ball (properly, falafel are not balls).

Flip again and cook the opposite side to similar doneness as the first and remove from the pan.

Occasionally, falafel are cooked twice, one by frying in a pan then, after they're allowed to cool, a second time over charcoal to lend a smoky flavour. This is common at church functions where all the Leb grannies bring in homemade falafel to be reheated on the barbecue.

Eat either as a platter, like meatballs on a plate, with a few sides or as part of a sandwich. Lebs eat it with taboun bread (similar to turkish durum), machoun (similar to naan or pizza dough) or on baguette but others eat it with khubz arabiy/pita. I like it on a baguette with smoked/roasted eggplant spread. It's like hummus, but with fire-roasted eggplant instead of chickpeas. Very good. I split a length of baguette, spread one side with eggplant spread and top with falafel that I lightly press down to flatten a bit further then close the sandwich.
>>
File: tumblr_inline_mfvpi1a8521rt2432.gif (489 KB, 500x301) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_inline_mfvpi1a8521rt2432.gif
489 KB, 500x301
>>7420035
Dam son, that sounds nice. Will do, I have a big bag of fabas in my freezer. Thanks!
>>
>>7420035
Man I need to get on that Lebaness food train.
>>
>>7419721
>Always add
Chickpeas (obviously)
Tahini (obviously)
Salt (obviously again)
Lemon juice
Cumin
Parsley
Garlic

>Sometimes add
Feta cheese
Olives
Pine nuts
Sun-dried tomatoes
Roasted red peppers
Pepperoncini
>>
Any tips on making tahini? Every time I try to make it I never manage to get it to blend smoothly.
>>
>>7421404
What kind of blender apparatus are you using?

You also have to toast the sesame seeds otherwise they'll be too soft to blend.
>>
>>7419936
It doesn't really look good, it should be a bit more fluid for me not to be triggered. Maybe it's because you make your own tahini? How was the taste?
>>
Boiling chickpeas with baking soda to remove the skins makes a night and day difference in how smooth your hummus turns out in the end.
>>
>>7419721
>that meme presentation
>>
>>7422976
Are you sure? My family always soaked chickpeas in a glass, ceramic/porcelain or plastic bowl in bicarb-spiked water or lye water, never metal.
I always assumed that you would't boil it because pots and pans are metal and alkaline water is corrosive to most metals used in cooking.

Get dry chickpeas.
Put them in a bowl.
Add a few spoons of plain bicarb (or baked bicarb, thus strengthening its alkalinity, if they're considerably older).
Add water until the chickpeas are completely covered, then just a little more than that.
Cover with a clean kitchen cloth and allow to soak overnight.
The next day, the chickpeas will have swollen to about three times their original size, similar to how hominy swells to sizes much larger than mais kernels.
Drain and rinse quite well; you'll notice that many of the chickpeas will lose their skins during the rinse.
Cook your chickpeas as desired.

Chickpeas are the only pulse I've ever seen Medshits like Levantines, Greeks, Maghrebi and Italians soak and they all universally use bicarb or lye to do it.
>>
>>7420035
> Removing and discard the outer shell of each bean
ain't no-one got time fo' dat
>>
>>7420035
>Properly, falafel are meant to be made with fava and not chickpeas. That's how Lebs and Copts make it. It's the filthy Israelis that decided to go 100% chickpea with it.
This is how it's made in Northern Africa too.
Also
>Copts
Aren't they like 50 people?
>>
>>7423068
>implying north africans, other than sudanese and egyptians, eat falafel
It originated in Egypt, yes. However, Maghrebi don't eat falafel. I mean, they do /now/, but it only arrived sometime around last Tuesday. Oddly enough, Algerians, Moroccans and Tunisians encountered falafel in France, Italy and Spain, brought to those countries by way of overseas Copts and Maronites. They brought it back to Maghreb from Europe only in the last decade or so. Weird, right? They're too busy eating couscous, putting flowers in men's hair and being fake as shit to everyone to care about what their neighbouring countries eat.

>there are no copts
There are about twenty million of them, last I looked it up. That's more than Mormons. I assume you live in an English-speaking country, have I got that right? The reason you've likely not encountered any might be because Copts don't tend to emigrate to the Anglosphere but rather to southern Europe, particularly to Italy and France. There are a few Coptic communities in English speaking countries. I know that in the US and Canada, Copts tend to go into pharmaceuticals, so any area with a large drug research and manufacturing sector or renowned pharm school will have lots of Copts.

see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgWAtujrSk0#t=1m19.88

I was best friends with a Coptic guy in high school. They eat vegan for like half the year, which is why falafel, a Coptic invention, is so popular with smelly white people in sandals.

>>7423020
Once they thaw, you can do the whole bag in about five minutes. They slip right out.
>>
>>7419721
I'm so over hummus. It's one of those foods you begin to like because it's healthy and all your friends go on about how great it is then one day you realise it's just a bunch of bland shit you wouldn't feed to a baby if you had to and have a nice seared chicken breast and salad instead.
>>
>>7420035
>fava and not chickpeas

Maybe for filthy Egyptians and Lebs who think they invented everything, but I guarantee you will find chickpeas used in Syria and Jordan as well.

Recipes change and adapt, bruv.
>>
>>7426434
I'm not sure that you're entirely right.
Syrians I've known use fresh fava, too because there's no such thing as separate Syrian cuisine or Lebanese cuisine as they're actually one and the same. In my experience, Palestinians and Jordanians use either 50/50 fresh fava and cooked-from-dry chickpeas or 50/50 fresh fava and cooked-from-dry fava, but they tend to up the parsley compared to the Leb/Syrian/Masri original, likely because chickpeas and dry fava are yellow rather than green and proper falafel are green inside. For some reason, each Israeli falafel I've had used dry only, be it either chickpea (most common) or a combination of fava and chickpea. I've had some made by Israelis that used all fava, but they were made from cooked-from-dry beans rather than fresh. Israelis seem to never use fresh beans for some reason. I would think that's why you can find falafel kits with chickpea meal and/or fava meal in it in every Israeli supermarket while falafel "kits" in Levantine stores are just sachets of spices that are meant to be added to your own freshly crushed fresh/cooked-from-dry beans.
To expand, I don't know if Yemeni, Sudani or Ethiopians eat falafel, but I would bet that if they did, it would be made from fava rather than chickpea, though I would suspect dry rather than fresh.

Anyway, while recipes change and adapt, yes, there's always going to be an original version preferred by the people who natively prepare and eat it.
You may not like that original one and that's fine but to discount it simply because you prefer some other version is shortsighted and silly. I don't like Mexican guacamole, for example, with avocado, lime juice and minced onion. I think it's fucking shit, tbqh. I prefer Lebo-Mex guacamole, which is made with grated garlic and lemon juice in place of onion and lime. Way better, imho.
>>
>>7419721
i think i've only eaten it with bread
i have done, but not sure if it's really worth it. could just as easily buy tahini from the store, not sure if there's even a difference
>Do you add vegetables?
nope, but i've played with the idea of adding paprika or something
>>
>>7425515
I dunno it tastes good to me. Chicken breast+salad sounds good too
>>
>>7427436
chicken with hummus sounds pretty good to me, have to try it.
>>
>>7427359
I'm a cheap motherfucker so I tried to make tahini myself. 1lb of sesame seeds costs $2.49. 1lb of tahini costs $7.99 (or more).
However, making smooth tahini demands that the seeds be hulled and ain't nobody got time for all dat.
>>
>>7427497
yeah i guess. i haven't really checked the prices, only once bought tahini.
either way, i don't eat hummus that much, most of my sesame seeds go into a sesamepork/chicken dish i like to do
>>
Roasted Red Hummus makes the best sandwich spread.
>>
>>7427527
Didn't know about adding roasted red peppers, thanks I'll try this soon.
>>
>>7427516
Most of mine goes towards sesame brittle.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.