[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there anything wrong with cooking an aubergine in water? Is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: aubergine.jpg (643 KB, 1698x1131) Image search: [Google]
aubergine.jpg
643 KB, 1698x1131
Is there anything wrong with cooking an aubergine in water? Is it gonna taste fine or is frying/roasting/baking always preferred?

s far as frying is concerned, is it true that you should brush the aubergine with fat instead of putting the fat in the pan? Does that counter the sponge action? Does the direction of cutting make a difference?
>>
>>7419506
>Is there anything wrong with cooking an aubergine in water

Be careful. If the temp gets over 175 F you will create mustard gas
>>
>>7419506
Nothing wrong per say, but you'll end up with slimy disgusting eggplant mush.

You brush on the fat if you want to control how much it soaks up or if you're grilling them.

Never found direction of cutting to change much of anything.
>>
>>7419506
Not at all. There's a chinese dish where you boil aubergines until soft, drain and shred them up a bit with forks, then pour hot chilli and garlic oil over.
>>
>>7419619
>>7419764
Alright thanks for the input. So you are saying they're going to become quite mushy. But it's not going to merge with the water, right?

Another problem I had with frying slices, aside from the oil thing, is that the flesh would shrivel and thus lose contact with the pan, so the skin would eventually get burnt before the flesh was properly browning.
I'm really not sure what I'm doing.
>>
>>7419506
>Is there anything wrong with cooking an aubergine in water?

nothing apart from all the flavor running into the water.
>>
I think with frying you have to embrace the fact that they soak up a shitload of oil. If you gently fry slices for long enough (15-30 minutes) they shrink and give up some of the oil, but really it's part of what makes aubergine tasty.
>>
>>7419506
I slice mine up and lay it on a pan, lined with parchment paper lightly spray the slices with olive oil and bake at like 350 till they cook and shrink down some. I then use those slices in lasagna. Makes for less soggy lasagna.
>>
>>7419804
>But it's not going to merge with the water, right?
It will absorb water and break apart most likely becoming this slimey goo that will tasye like shit.

You can roast it with or without oil, if you roast them proper and lower the gas they will shrivel up. If you roast without oil you have to keep the temp up and not let them get cold, you flip them over regularly.

If with oil, use enough oil, it will absorb all the oil no real need to put more into it when it does, just keep the temp going. You know the eggplant is done when the oil starts coming out again, then you have a small window in which you remove them from the pan and not be eating a shitload of oil with it.

+points if you place them in warm peanut sauce. You can buy that shit pre prepped, or at least you can here. That is my fav kind of eggplant.
>>
>>7419506
yes even steam is just too much the wettest thing you should put uncooked eggplant into is curry. It turns to mush no matter what you do with best to work against that and go with dry heat.
>>7420678
good man.
lot less work and waste than the weighted press with paper towels I see a lot of people doing.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.