[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
beer
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 10
File: beer_10.jpg (21 KB, 640x430) Image search: [Google]
beer_10.jpg
21 KB, 640x430
didn't see just a normal beer thread so thought it would be good to ask:

trying to branch out from IPAs. what are some good lagers/pilsners? I generally like the fact that IPAs have a pretty "strong" flavor and I also like a decently high ABV (like 7%). I live in PA if that helps.
>>
Just go to a store with a large beer selection and pick something that looks/sounds good. Even better if it's locally brewed so you can deprive the shitty beverage conglomerates of your money.
>>
>>7417833

decided to buy a variety pack of leinenkugel's because i liked the art and different types offered. looking at reviews, they're pretty bad so maybe i wasted my money. hopefully its not bad
>>
>>7417976
Leinenkugels is pretty awful. The only thing i ever buy is their doppelbock because it's cheap and decent. What state are you in?
>>
>>7417992
he's probably in a state that neighbors wisconsin, or in wisconsin itself

until spotted cow became the new leinie's, the precursors to the WIDF (this was before internet) used to spread the propaganda that leinie's was the best beer ever and if you disagree you literally want to destroy America and everything she stands for.

swap that word for "spotted cow" and you have the new WIDF's official party platform. except when you're trying to impress a fellow beer neckbeard in which case spotted cow is totally for soccer moms and real WIDF only drink {obscure beer only brewed in one small town}. oh you've had that too? well it used to be good, I can see why you think it sucks now it's gotten way too popular. I mostly now drink {even more obscure beer hopefully you haven't had so you can't judge}
>>
Lagers are fine, but you might as well move to superior styles such as stronger belgian style beers and stouts
>>
>>7417976
Leinienkugel is bad compared to craft beer, but probably the best fake craft beer compared to Blue Moon and shock top and maybe even Sam Adams
>>
>>7418006
hey, its this guy again
>>
>>7418006
We'll the difference is that leinies used to be okay and now only brews good stuff under their Big Eddie line whereas New Glarus has always put out good traditional beer with some experimental stuff here and there. The spotted cow meme is ridiculous, but it is a solid beer. I'd still take a grainbelt premium over it though
>>
>>7418026
>used to be ok
I dunno when "used to be" was, but I tasted it in the 90s when I lived in flyover land, and it was terrible then

I haven't had it since, and I'm open to the suggestion that it was good in like the 1980s or 70s, but I am rather skeptical of that
>>
>>7418031
Please keep in mind that Leinies makes a bunch of different beer. You are probably referring to their adjunct lager, so of course that is going to taste like a fucking adjunct lager and is marketed as such, as opposed to their other beers which are sold as fake craft beer and are generally ok
>>
>>7418031
Not that guy, but Miller bought Leinies in the 90s so I am gonna guess he is referring to that
>>
>>7418006
So do you believe this stuff?
>>
>>7418016
Sam Adams won 21 awards at the 2015 World Beer Awards vs Leinenkugel's 0.
>>
>>7418067
Sam Adams makes some cool limited release stuff, but I was just referring to their normal every day stuff at the grocery store directly alongside the leinies stuff

I definitely prefer Sam Adams, but they are of a similar tier
>>
>I live in PA

Then you should acquaint yourself with Victory beers. Their Prima Pils (pilsner) is probably my favorite pilsner of all. This sounds like the perfect beer for you actually--it's a pilsner, but with a bit of American flair in that it's generally stronger tasting than typical Euro pilsners, but not over the top like lots of IPAs.

PA is also home to Troeg's, which makes one of the best hoppy beers I've ever had, Nugget Nectar. It's not an IPA since it's strong in malt as well as hops, but I can't recommend it more highly, regardless of whether you want to branch out from hoppy stuff.

I'd explore both those breweries' offerings, and ask the beer store clerks about other pilsners. Try some of the reputable German ones. They're great. Grab a German doublebock while you're at it. They're sort of on the opposite end of the beer flavor spectrum from IPAs--tons of rich, sweet malt flavor with little bitterness.
>>
File: Products11-5-15FR-16.jpg (97 KB, 411x800) Image search: [Google]
Products11-5-15FR-16.jpg
97 KB, 411x800
Drinking this. It's okay. A little on the hoppy side for a pilsner imo, but not too bad. Will buy again
>>
Depends where you live, but for me these are some Lagers, Pilsners and Blondes I enjoy;

Mission Brewery Blone Ale
Saint Archer Blonde Ale
Kronenbourg 1664
Full Sail Session Lager
Oskar Blues’ Mama’s Little Yella Pils
Golden Road 329
>>
>>7418081
Troegs also makes Troegenator Doppelbock, which is a good strong lager that has none of the strong hoppy flavor of an IPA.
>>
>>7417818
Honestly, I'm kinda burnt out on hipster beer that insists adding shittons of hops makes a beer good.

I'd go for something like Schneider Aventinus or like a Belgisan strong ale of some sort.
>>
OP here. holy shit leninkreguers kinda sucks. ah well. you live and you learn right?
>>
The best nationwide Pilsner is Nooner Pilsner from Sierra Nevada

Also try Weihenstephaner Original Premium. It isn't a pilsner ( they do make one that's amazing) but it's a Munich Helles Lager that is the best lager on earth, if it's fresh.

>>7418116
Troegenator isn't hoppy lol
>>
File: Uber Joe.jpg (48 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
Uber Joe.jpg
48 KB, 720x960
Drinking one of these, also bought a 6 pack of pineapple sculpin today and will try that next
>>
>>7418297
Fruit beer is for faggots

Real men get their fruit flavors in beer from hops
>>
>>7418311
um, pineapple sculpin has plenty of hops.
also what a silly thing to care about, there are plenty of excellent sour fruit beers. You must be thinking of Blue Moon like shitty fruit flavored beer
>>
I hope you're all drinking your ales/stouts/whatevers at room temp.
Only piss beers and lagers should be served cold, to mask their taste.
>>
>>7418331
Blue Moon at least doesn't have fruit in it

Adding fruit to beer is a crutch for pussy brewers covering up bad ales

Odell IPA > sculpin any day

Torpedo IPA > sculpin anyday

FW Union Jack IPA > sculpin every day
>>
>>7418337

IPAs should be chilled to preserve hop flavor you faggot
>>
>>7418311
Eat shit faggot, fruit beer is great. Go back to sucking cock for another hops loaded ipa.
>>
>>7418346
>Blue Moon at least doesn't have fruit in it
yeah, because adding fake orange flavor is so much better than actual orange flavor

Never tried odell, but Union Jack and Torpedo are not fucking better than Sculpin. Should have gone with Two Hearted, then I would have agreed with you.
I wouldn't classify Sculpin as one of my favorite IPAs even, just pretty good, I do not buy it regularly as a lot of better IPAs cost less (why the fuck is sculpin so expensive?), but I am a fan of pineapple in general so I was curious
>>
Good to see that you're maturing.

Try some actual IPAs or PAs. Nothing american, you can't control yourselves with the fucking cascade hops meme. Belgian sours. The new Sierra Nevada Otra Vez is actually similar in flavour to a sour whilst also being from a brewery you'll feel nice and safe about.

Stouts and similar maybe. Adnam's is alright to start, and if you can find Broadside buy it immediately. I only see their other one at BevMo which I'm less confident recommending. Never get hen's tooth or old speckled hen or any of that shit while in that section. The only beer nastier than an AIPA.
>>
>>7418337
Dude, you shouldn't be drinking them at room temp. Warmer than fridge temperature sure, but not all the way warm
>>
File: Wisconsin belgian Red.jpg (91 KB, 400x533) Image search: [Google]
Wisconsin belgian Red.jpg
91 KB, 400x533
>>7418311
>Fruit beer is for faggots
Just stop drinking shitty fruit beer. Well made sour fruit beers are amazing
>>
>>7418297
3 sheeps is killing it lately. They just kind of showed up out of nowhere
>>
>>7418382
That one was pretty fucking good. They are doing a really good job pretty much all of their 22oz bottle release stuff recently has been great. Also getting their dark wheat coffee beer and nitro rye stout in 6 packs has been awesome
>>
>>7418311
If you diss pumpkin ale as a whole, you're just an asshole
>>
>>7418357
wat

blue moon doesn't have orange flavor, it has vague citrus flavor because it's a witbier

>>7418355
And sculpin isn't loaded with hops? Haha faggot
>>
>>7418411
>blue moon doesn't have orange flavor, it has vague citrus flavor because it's a witbier
Blue moon very clearly has orange flavor added
>>
>>7418415
It has a bit of orange peel, that but that isn't the overwhelming flavor I get from it DESU

It's not like I buy blue moon, shit is a beer for yokels who think they like better beers

Hefes from Germany are the best wheat beers
>>
>>7418421
>Hefes from Germany are the best wheat beers
there are plenty of great beers of that style in america too
>>
File: file_27_75.jpg (70 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
file_27_75.jpg
70 KB, 700x700
>>7418426
Not really. There's literally only one available nationwide, Sierra Nevada Kellerweis.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
This beer is amazing. It's supposed to be a "gose style session IPA" and it really succeeds at being both. This is delicious and is like a great IPA that's a little tart and salty from the gose.
>>
>>7418431
>There's literally only one available nationwide,
Sure but only a tiny fraction of good american beer is available nationwide, but there are many available in many markets especially in the summer
>>
>>7418434
I can't think of a single hefe available anywhere only in the summer that's good. Most good hefes are year around in the US, like Live Oak Hefe in Texas. Can you name one? Seriously most hefes are super duper regional that are good that are made in the US.
>>
File: dancing man.jpg (10 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
dancing man.jpg
10 KB, 400x300
>>7418443
this one is delicious
>>
>>7418451
>Wisconsin only

Considering I never even plan on visiting WI, I will have to take your word on it
>>
>>7418453
well the vast majority of craft beer is only available in at most a handful of states
>>
File: otravez-bottle-pint2016.png (60 KB, 330x485) Image search: [Google]
otravez-bottle-pint2016.png
60 KB, 330x485
>>7418456
Right, but it's a bit weird to try and say anything about good hefes with your example being literally only available in one state, and a state on the north side of the country at that

I'm in KS, kellerweis is literally the only american made hefe that should be called a hefeweizen here

I'm moving to California soon, and I imagine it's the same there. I can't find any critically acclaimed hefes available out there other than Sierra Nevada, which is actually located in Chico, California
>>
>>7418461
I doubt californai is as good as the midwest when it comes to wheat beer, but I would be surprised if you won't be able to find at least a few really good local hefes
>>
>>7418471
It isn't, but Kansas doesn't get the best distribution for shit around the great lakes.

There are a lot of state-only or surrounding state only breweries around the Great Lakes and East Coast with good rated hefes, that people say taste like proper Bavarian hefes.

I don't travel that way, I go out west, so I've never had them.

I've been looking, and California is definitely more about the IPAs, Stouts, Imperial everything, hoppy pilsners, sours, fruit beers, etc.

Thank god my wife is a pharmacist and we're loaded, cause I'm buying all all-grain decoction homebrew setup so I can brew good old german brews at home.

I'd love to get some New Glarus at some point. My wife has family up near there, I should just go on a beercation under the guise of "visiting family" some day. Visit Tired Hands near where her aunt lives, Great Lakes near her grandma, and New Glarus for a day trip/where my college roomie lives.
>>
>>7418488
If you ever come up this way, also check out Schells. Theyre a super traditional german brewery. Their Firebrick Vienna lager is top notch and pretty cheap considering the quality
>>
>>7418311
This meme will never end
>>
File: beavertown-cowbell.jpg (47 KB, 331x600) Image search: [Google]
beavertown-cowbell.jpg
47 KB, 331x600
Picked up two cans of this. Literally the only other stouts I've tried are Guinness and Murphy's. Any opinions?
>>
>>7418234
>Troegenator isn't hoppy lol

Which is...exactly what I said.
>>
>>7420163
I don't like hoppy stouts.
>>
anyone else have a problem with drinking beer too fast? all my friends give me shit for it, but I can't help it, I just love beer and I love the feeling. I usually finish a beer in like 5-10 minutes
>>
>>7421189
I feel like 5-10 minutes is normal for non specialty beer like two hearted or something
>>
>>7418297
This picture made me nostalgic for the sleepy, snowy Wisconsin suburb I never grew up in.
>>
I went and bought a Karlovačko because the local store said it goes good with beer.

I had it with some baked chicken and was not impressed, the taste feels kinda cheap like a carlsburg but yet it was 40 cents more expensive.
>>
>>7421203
sorry because it goes good with chicken lel
>>
>>7417976
you didn't waste your money and a variety pack was a good idea. Even though none of them will be the pinnacles of their styles they still will give you an idea of what styles you prefer and you can expect that each of these beers has at least a slightly better version available from a different brewer.
>>
>>7421203
How do you add meme arrows to individual letters?
>>
>>7421219
I copy pasted the letter from the wikipedia article.
If you have a slav keyboard it should work too same as how 4chan accepts moonrunes like サッポロビールがまずいです。
>>
>>7421196
it was pretty comfy
>>
>>7417818
>what are some good

>lagers
Oktoberfests in general, but Anchor Steam is my favorite beer of all time so...

>/pilsners?
Sierra Nevada makes a great imitation called Nooner, but both the German pils I've had were great; Bitburger, Radeberger.
>>
after drinking leninkugel's IPA I can understand why people like IPAs. a lot of hops can honestly mask the flavor of anything and still be not bad.
>>
>>7421189
Nah, your friends are just wimps.
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.