[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thoughts on the Cuban Sandwich?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 6
File: Cuban-Sandwich.jpg (32 KB, 948x710) Image search: [Google]
Cuban-Sandwich.jpg
32 KB, 948x710
Thoughts on the Cuban Sandwich?
>>
tasty, but nothing exceptional.
>>
One of the top tier best sandwiches.

I wish more places made them. It's hard to find a good one around here.
>>
>>7417591

What's stopping you from making them yourself?
>>
>>7417572
One of the best hot sandwiches out there if made well.
>>
>>7417572
Never had one. What's in it?
>>
>>7417591
Pretty easy to make, just get some panini weights, and find some french bread.
>>
>>7417616
Ham, Swiss, garlic roast pork, pickle is the basic structure. Then people will argue about garlic mayo or mustard, whether the bread should be manteca bread or French and whether salami is an acceptable addition.
>>
>>7417624
>manteca bread or French

Cuban bread you pleb
>>
>>7417627
>Cuban bread

Hard to come by and shared equally amongst all the sandwiches?
>>
>>7417608
special bread, special mustard, pulled pork isn't easy for just a sandwich

I'm talking about really good, proper cuban sandwiches. Not some cheap knockoff with every day ingredients.
>>
too heavy; overrated
>>
>>7417572
delicious but it needs more veg, a couple pickles isnt enough
>>
>>7417572
Awesome, if you go to or come to Miami a Cubano is something to get. You wont find a better Cubano anywhere else.
>>
Done right, it's top 5. Tough to find the right bread and lechon (pork) outside of Miami or NY.
>>
File: Arnolds.jpg (24 KB, 452x395) Image search: [Google]
Arnolds.jpg
24 KB, 452x395
If do right, no can defense.
>>
Without hyperbole, I can say it's my favorite sandwich (next to the po boy)
>>
>>7417572
It's a good sandwich
>>
>>7417572
glorified panini, one of the most overrated sandwiches in history. Hipster joints are charging $10 for this shit now
>>
>>7418851
>hipster joints
>serving the most anti-communist sandwich

lel
>>
>>7417572
>Sandwich
It's a torta you piece of shit
>>
>>7417572
Never understood what made this so special. there's nothing to them. Of sandwiches, it's among the simplest. The only thing that makes it any good is the whole panini effect.

I rate a Reuben or a Banh mi above a Cuban any day.
>>
>>7417591
>>7417611
I didn't think people would praise it this much. I live in Miami so you can literally get these anywhere for like two bucks. Maybe I've grown so used to eating it that to me it's nothing special.
>>
>>7418934
I'd put it on the level of a good banh mi, even though the vibe is completely different.
>>7419576
I live in Brooklyn, so the Puerto Rican/Dominican spin on the sandwich is everywhere.
>>
File: elena ruz.jpg (127 KB, 736x465) Image search: [Google]
elena ruz.jpg
127 KB, 736x465
For a exceptional miami treat, I would rather have the elena ruz or medionoche sandwhich
>>
quick ,someone post that stick figure comic chili recipe that triggers everyone
>>
>>7420018
What kind of sandwich is this friend?
>>
salami + ham + cuban roast pork + mustard + pickles + swiss cheese + cuban fucking bread

anything less or more and it isn't a cuban
>>
>>7420018

Medianoche's bread is what makes them incredible.
>>
It's shit.
>>
>>7417572
ham is gross. Maybe use something less salty, and a fruit side, like asian pear, or mango.
>>
10/10, grew up on them
>>
>>7417572
made myself some
was fucking awesome
good mustard is crucial
not sure i'll make more anytime soon, the whole marinading and oven-roasting and shit is pretty fucking involved, for a sandwich
>>
>>7421728
>salami
>anything less or more and it isn't a cuban
salami doesn't really belong on a cuban sandwich, that's an italian influence
>>
>>7421849
I usually use leftover roast pork instead of just making it specifically for a sandwich.
>>
File: ni.jpg (127 KB, 417x599) Image search: [Google]
ni.jpg
127 KB, 417x599
>>7417572
here in the south we call it the marco rubian sandwich.
>>
File: Classic-Reuben-Sandwich.jpg (75 KB, 800x350) Image search: [Google]
Classic-Reuben-Sandwich.jpg
75 KB, 800x350
>>7417572
beep beep coming through
>>
Contrary to popular belief the Cuban was created in Tampa, not Miami. Specifically, it was created in Ybor City. In the early 20th century the Cuban was born of the need for lower, lower-middle class cubans working in the area for a fast and portable lunch. Thus the cuban was born. The traditional cuban includes ham, roast pork, yellow musard, pickles, and swiss cheese all on cuban bread which is pressed and toasted. However, the cubans in ybor city also worked alongside a great deal of italians and that is why you will see salami as a common addition to cuban sandwiches. Both versions are considered "traditional" as the origin of both versions are closely linked in time. The addition of any additional ingredients is often seen as controversial and purists argue ruins the integrity of the original sandwich. The Cuban was exported to Miami via the cuban population but, too this day, is still considered largely too be a florida only regional cuisine.
>>
>>7418932
Tortas are mexican you fucking donkey
>>
>britfag
>local market has a regular cuban sandwich stall run by two cuban brothers
It's the only cuban sandwich I've ever had so I've got no frame of reference for quality, but goddamn they're amazing.

I can never decide if I should say yes to hot sauce or not, though. Hot sauce is good, but you don't want to risk ruining a sandwich that was perfectly fine without it.
>>
>>7417624
The local place by me uses jalapeƱos, it's a good addition
>>
I am very disappointed with it. Sounds delicious when hearing ingredients, they're just very bland when almost everytime.

I did have luck by ordering similar sammiches and replacing the pork with something else like bbq or gabagool. The pork usually accounts for most of the bland dryness.
>>
Try asking google.

Next question!
>>
Man I'm so hungry. I need to find a job so until then I have to eat twice a day and cheap as I can. Been eating rice and potatoes for a while now.
>>
>>7417627
>>7417636
>>7421728
There is no such thing as cuban bread, flour was never a staple of the cuban diet. In fact, the "cuban" sandwich isn't a thing in cuba, it was started in florida by people who had fled the country.
>>
>>7424909
So it was started by Cubans?
>>
>>7417618
>panini weights

just get some bricks and spray them
>>
>>7424909
Yeah, but with american/european breads. The posts I was replying to explicitly called for cuban bread, which isn't really a thing.
>>
>>7424909
>it was started in florida by people who had fled the country.

>Cuba libre originates from Murican involvement in Spanish Murican War.

So basically without America's involvement these native people's best contribution to food would have been something along the lines of beans and rice?

dat American exceptionalism is at work again
>>
>>7420814
I dunno ask the faggots in the Latin American thread cuz apparently being from a Latin American country doesn't make me qualified for shit
>>
File: cuban-sandwich-2.jpg (291 KB, 1024x800) Image search: [Google]
cuban-sandwich-2.jpg
291 KB, 1024x800
>>7417572
DO YOU NOT?
>>
>>7417572
OK sandwich and that bleh movie with leguizamo
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.