[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Making biltong (jerky) from pork
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: biltong-hanging.jpg (103 KB, 400x309) Image search: [Google]
biltong-hanging.jpg
103 KB, 400x309
I'm attempting to make jerky from pork loin. I know there's a definate risk of parasites like Trichinosis. Unfortunately beef is 5x more expensive where I live and other meats (mutton/venison) arent accesible.

Was hoping the brining/marinade acidity could help.
>>
>>7416964

the Koreans have been making pork jerky since time time immemorial. You should be fine just look up Korean pork jerky.

Also it's really good. Only had it once, but it was memorable.
>>
Why would you think there's a risk of trichinosis? It's an incredibly rare disease in the developed world. There are only 1-2 cases a year, and those tend to come form hunters eating wild game (usually bear) meat. Unless you are using wild boar meat you would have no need to worry.

Also, drying the jerky out would kill the parasite anyway. If you were really really really tin-foil hat paranoid just freeze the meat for a while before you make your jerky. Assuming you are buying meat from a normal supermarket it will already have been frozen when it was shipped from the packing plant to the market.
>>
I don't have any religious objections to pork but you gotta admit, its not equivalent to beef in terms of food safety...Ever had a pork chop "Rare"?
>>
Thanks for the Korean Pork Jerky tip. Will definitely have a look.
>>
>>7417037

Actually, it is equivalent to beef in terms of that. Modernist Cuisine has a great section on this towards the end of the first volume.

The reason people think otherwise is:
a) the trichinosis scare from nearly 100 years ago
and
b) pork doesn't taste very good "rare", so people aren't in the habit of eating it that way, unlike beef.

From a food safety standpoint there is little difference between the two, we just aren't used to it.
>>
File: 65836956.jpg (81 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
65836956.jpg
81 KB, 500x375
>>7417045
I guess its a problem of perception. Wonder why pork producers/farmers don't make a greater effort to dispel the misconceptions...anyways thanks.
>>
Do you store meat in a wardrobe? ewww
>>
>>7417037
Idk about food safety, but rare pork tastes disgusting to me, unlike rare beef.
>>
>>7417068
because of point b) texture and taste isn't really worth it.
>>
File: mettbroetchen.jpg (65 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
mettbroetchen.jpg
65 KB, 600x400
>its not equivalent to beef in terms of food safety...
Unless your butcher knows his way around pork
>>
>>7416964
Freeze it first, then jerky it. This kills the parasites, they can't take the deep freeze and it won't mess it up in this case.
>>
>>7417766
>not having a meatdrobe
>>
>>7417766
Now with 30% extra mothballs and flypaper.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.