[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Made spaghetti for the first time in years. Posting image from
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3
File: 20160226_105001r.jpg (3 MB, 2350x1321) Image search: [Google]
20160226_105001r.jpg
3 MB, 2350x1321
Made spaghetti for the first time in years.
Posting image from phone, continuing on pc.

How's this look?
>>
>>7416698

Metal spoon in nonstick pan. How stupid are you?
>>
the sauce looks over reduced

more like pizza sauce
>>
>>7416698
I used
6oz tomato paste
15 oz tomato sauce
half white onion, chopped up
basil, Italian seasoning, oregano
browned the minced beef up with the onion and some thinly sliced garlic
added tomato paste/sauce
added a bit of sugar
let that simmer while boiling noodles
took some italian bread stuff, melted butter and thinly sliced garlic in a pan, brushed the bread with it, in the toaster oven...

Is this considered home made? I didn't make the paste/sauce myself, it was canned. And I didn't make the noodles myself, they are boxed.

I want to be able to say this is homemade, but it feels like a lie
thoughts, /ck/ ?
>>
>>7416699
It is all I have, just got out of a bad financial situation and was able to buy some actual food, this is the first thing I've made. Getting wooden spoon as soon as I can, don't worry. The pan is also fucked up badly from my old roommate using metal spoons and putting it under cold water when it was really hot. It is a lost cause anyways,

>>7416704
I know, this is how my parents always made it though. I also don't let the onions cook all the way, since I like a lil crunch, blame parents for that, too.
>>
>>7416699
It's non-stick until it gets scratched one way or another.
Once it's scratched you stop caring and use metal utensils.

Teflon is about the most health-neutral plastic in existence.
>>
>>7416707
I don't know if it's considered homemade but the ingredient list seems fine. Water it down a little so that it has a chance to spread over the spagetti instead of serving as a side dish next to plain pasta, and you should be fine.
>>
>>7416739

Oh, I wasn't implying it was unhealthy, just trying to avoid scratches.

But yeah, if the pan is already scratched up then it doesn't matter.
>>
>>7416739
But don't they say Teflon causes cancer? Isn't it banned now?
>>
>>7416751
i killed a pet bird burning teflon
>>
>>7416757
I'd kill my pet bird too if I caught it burning some teflon.
>>
>>7416751
>Isn't it banned now
HA! This fucking guy.
There's an entire aisle of teflon pans down at BBnB.
>>
>>7416751
>>7416757
Are you sure you're talking about teflon and not something else?

It's a frigging tank of plastics. It's so chemically inert you can pour pretty much anything on it. It has some ridiculously high melting temperature so it's used on pans. Nothing sticks to it - the very trick of sticking it to the pan was an art, involving huge pressure and high temperature to melt it into pores of steel. Modern bridge construction uses it in supports to allow the bridge to slide on the supports due to thermal expansion (formerly steel rollers were used but teflon was deemed more durable). Bearings in most corrosive chemical machinery are made with teflon because it can just shrug off the environment and form a tight seal around the shaft which just slides on it.

Human digestive tract can't do shit about it. It just passes entirely untouched. And it's really, really hard to burn it using home equipment.

I really wonder how in the world would it be capable of causing cancer.
>>
>>7416779
Not that anon, but I've heard from lots of people that teflon causes cancer. I'm pretty much under the assumption that everything and anything can cause cancer, so whatever.
>>
>>7416779

He's either trolling, or confusing teflon itself with the products of its combustion. Teflon itself is inert. But if you heat it up to above around 500F (roughly) it starts to break down. The chemicals it breaks down into are highly toxic to birds, and may or may not be hazardous to humans. That's kind of irrelevant because at that temperature your cooking oil and food will be burning anyway.
>>
>>7416779
http://ehp.niehs.nih.gov/121-a340/

it will probably be banned eventually.. so wither take good care of your teflon pans or learn to fucking cook
>>
>>7416782
I'm fairly sure if teflon dust gets in your lungs, it's gonna stay there, 'cause there's no immune system cell or enzyme to dilute it and get it out, so that way it might be a carcirogen. OTOH scratching teflon in such a way to make it a dust is a rather difficult trick.

The pans are so scratchable only because the teflon layer is very thin - shit's pretty expensive.
>>
>>7416787
except that's the problem
it's completely relevant because people burn and fuck up their food all the time
>>
>>7416787
No, I wasn't trolling. I hear all the time that Teflon may cause cancer. Especially if you scratch your pan, never use it again and just throw it out.
>>
>>7416792

Even if the dust was in someone's lungs what would it do? It's chemically inert. That's the whole point of it--it's used in labs and industry for tubing, fittings, and containers because even the strongest acids and most corrosive of chemicals won't harm it. It's also used for various medical implants for the same reason--it's unaffected by and nonreactive to the human body.

And even so, what does a pan have to do with breathing teflon dust?
>>
>>7416707
where are the other pictures fag
>>
>>7416796

You misunderstand.

The food will burn well before the teflon will, providing warning to take the pan off the heat.
>>
>>7416797

And why would you believe everything you hear?

Why would scratching the pan require you to throw it out? Explain the reasoning.

And there's also the empirical data: there are millions upon millions of teflon pans (and other things, like medical implants) in use all over the world. Have been for decades. You would think we would have conclusive proof if it really does cause cancer.
>>
>>7416802
You mean pictures of boiled noodles and bread?
I figured you'd all know what that looks like, not much variation in noodles and garlic bread.
Plus, I'd have to upload from my phone and it's mobile data, every byte counts!
>>
>>7416815
Because if you scratch the Teflon apparently it can release more toxins, or something to that effect. I can't believe you guys have never heard of this...

http://www.cancer.ca/en/prevention-and-screening/be-aware/harmful-substances-and-environmental-risks/non-stick-cookware/?region=on
>>
>>7416815
The main problem with scratched Teflon is that shit gets stuck in the scratches and sticks to the base metal. It can be difficult to clean and from a hygiene and food safety perspective it's not great to have food residue sitting in your pan at room temperature. However that does not mean that one would need to throw out scratched nonstick immediately.
>>
>>7416806
i don't misunderstand.. put a pot of water on to boil, get loaded and pass out? leave the house?
put the wrong burner on and have a dry pan just cooking away while you're outside making barbeque?
>>
>>7416832
It does not say that anywhere there. 0/10
>>
File: cancurr.png (558 KB, 684x2101) Image search: [Google]
cancurr.png
558 KB, 684x2101
>>7416799

>> And even so, what does a pan have to do with breathing teflon dust?
>>
>>7416832

Why would it release toxins? It's not hollow, it doesn't contain anything. Scratching it doesn't release anything, it just physically deforms it.

>>I can't believe you guys have never heard of this...

We have heard of it. Look a little closer at your own link. Under the section "how you are exposed" it says "IF YOU HEAT COOKWARE TO HIGH TEMPERATURES...."

The simple answer is, you don't do that. The temperatures they are describing are very, very, high. They don't happen during normal cooking. Your food would be on fire at that point, and of course you wouldn't eat burnt and flaming food, would you?

This is as silly as saying that knives are dangerous because if you stab yourself in the chest with one you might bleed to death, or that stoves are dangerous because if you stick your hand on the hob it will burn you.
>>
>>7416820
then fuck you.
>>
>>7416847
Well I can't take pictures now! I ate half of it and put the rest in tupperware for work tonight.
Worry not, though, now that I have a good paying job and can actually cook I shall post more food cookings to this board.
You haven't seen the last of me.
I'm GEOOORGE NELSON!
>>
>>7416836
Yes, heating empty nonstick cookware is dangerous. Rather than causing cancer, the primary concern is that the fumes cause Teflon flu, with headache, joint aches, fatigue and other symptoms a couple hours after exposure. It also kills birds pretty quickly.

But that's not how the cookware is intended to be used so this is a risk arising from misuse of the product. You can also burn yourself on a regular pan or set your house on fire with a gas stove. The risk presented by Teflon cookware is reasonably low compared to risks presented by other household products. People have been hospitalized with Teflon flu because they fell asleep with an empty pan burning away but they've also set their houses on fire and done lots of other things.
>>
>>7416839
Not on that link, but I have read it before. Anyways, I'm glad it doesn't seem to be as serious as I once thought., I love non-stick pans.
>>
>>7416779
>Bearings in most corrosive chemical machinery
Yeah,those are ceramic bearings you dunce
>>
>>7416698

Don't use spaghetti anon.

Almost any other shape is more appropriate.

Conchiglie (shells) are the best.
>>
File: image.jpg (937 KB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
937 KB, 2592x1936
I made carbonara with rabbit mince, portobello mushroom and dry cured bacon.

Your sketti looks allright, needs more cheese.
>>
>>7417346
THIS. Spaghetti is just so useless for anything but the thinnest oily sauce.
>>
>>7417376
also it's annoying to eat. anything but bit sized noodles is pretty much the worst.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.