[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
hi /ck/ im going to prepare chili con carne for the first time....
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 11
File: 171639.jpg (235 KB, 1600x1067) Image search: [Google]
171639.jpg
235 KB, 1600x1067
hi /ck/ im going to prepare chili con carne for the first time.... give me your best recipe
>>
beans
>>
chili is shit, and every time i say it's shit people are on here are like 'you've just had shitty chili' and it annoys me because i am a better, more well-travelled cook than any of them and i made an entirely well-informed decision to hate chili.
>>
>>7416522
stop with this bait.....
>>
>>7416522

nah, im a better cook than you.
>>
File: swiss.jpg (4 KB, 210x240) Image search: [Google]
swiss.jpg
4 KB, 210x240
dark red kidney beans
pinto beans
black beans (turtle beans)
light red kidney beans

and just use a basic chili recipe from the Interweb
>>
>>7416522
Back to your reddit place
>>
>>7416555
thanks anon, anyother tips/secrets?
>also checked
>>
>>7416516
I do my own style, which is a mix of a few different things I've read on the internet. Probably doesn't count as a chilli anymore, but I like it.
Anyway:

Meat (Minced or cubed, beef is good, mixed is okay)
1x red bell pepper
1x yellow bell pepper
1 white onion
3 cloves of garlic
1x canned kidney beans
1x canned black beans
2x canned diced tomatoes
1x glass of olives
1 cup of broth (chicken, beef, vegetable, bouillon, it doesn't matter that much)
1 bottle of Guinness

Let that simmer for a couple of hours.
>>
>>7416519
flyover pls
>>
>>7416589
>1x glass of olives
>1 cup of broth (chicken, beef, vegetable, bouillon, it doesn't matter that much)
>1 bottle of Guinness
>the city of (You)
>>
File: stop.jpg (120 KB, 582x625) Image search: [Google]
stop.jpg
120 KB, 582x625
>>7416522
>>
>>7416589
thanks anon
>>
The joy of cooking recipe here: https://joyofcooking.wordpress.com/2007/11/18/chili-con-carne-page-671-and-jalapeno-corn-bread/

To that I add 3 finely diced habaneros, 6 if I add beans. Served straight up no rice.
>>
File: threemichelinstaritalianchef.png (429 KB, 628x430) Image search: [Google]
threemichelinstaritalianchef.png
429 KB, 628x430
>>7416601
regarding the canned diced tomatoes. I'd recommend you to use Contadina diced tomatoes. Not pureƩ, not crushed. Since I'm very confident about it's sodium content I wouldn't add too much salt to the chili, otherwise it could end very salty. Be careful, anon.
>>
There's three things you never want to see in chili

>beans
>meat
>distinguishable veggies

True chili is just a blend of tomato puree and, as the name implies, chilis. Anything else is a bastardization of form.
>>
File: 1288460882489.jpg (53 KB, 300x562) Image search: [Google]
1288460882489.jpg
53 KB, 300x562
>>7416522
>i am a better
>>
File: 1371811361589s.jpg (8 KB, 192x250) Image search: [Google]
1371811361589s.jpg
8 KB, 192x250
>>7416575

when your almost done have somebody else taste it for you to see if it needs more chili powder, salt, heat, seasonings in general

your taste buds may be sated and you need someone with a fresh palate so you don't over season or make it too hot where it's not enjoyable to eat
>>
File: 1452514484422.jpg (189 KB, 1462x1462) Image search: [Google]
1452514484422.jpg
189 KB, 1462x1462
>Americans get elitist over shitty Mexican food

Fucking pathetic.
>>
>>7416622
>There's four things you never want to see in chili

>>beans
>>meat
>>distinguishable veggies
>>tomato paste

>True chili is, as the name implies, just chilis. Anything else is a bastardization of form.
>>
whatever you do, don't add fucking cumin
>>
Lazy Brown Bean Chili

2 Cans Black Beans
2 Cans Black Beans Seasoned
2 Cans petite Diced tomatoes - drained
1lb of 80/20 ground beef
1 onion - chopped thin
3 garlic cloves - diced
1 Tbsp Chili Powder
2 Tbsp Cumin
2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder. Simmer for a few hours.

It's a good and cheap base to start from for adjusting things to your taste. Once there, you can swap in better ingredients.

Nuke the onions and tomatoes for 14 minutes.
Brown the ground beef.
Combine all ingredients in large pot, medium heat to bring to a boil, then let simmer for a few hours.

I only get compliments from this recipe as long as I let people know it's not meant to be a spicy chili.
>>
File: 1445966827303.jpg (273 KB, 804x609) Image search: [Google]
1445966827303.jpg
273 KB, 804x609
>>7416855
what? no cumin? fuck you.
>>
What species of chilli to use?
I usually use an ancho, a chipotle, and a handful of little piquins to give explosions of heat.
>>
>>7416661
chili con CARNE you utter amoebae
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xe4JkMT0DvM

Here's a good lazy man's version of chili
>>
Just follow the recipe on seriouseats.com
>>
>>7416516
onion, roast garlic, ancho chili, chili powder, cumin, oregano, beer, beef stock, diced beef, tomatoes, habanero chili, chili sauce if needed, chopped cilantro, red onion and sharp cheddar to garnish.

Oh yeah, sorry, I forgot, kidney beans.
>>
http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2011/may/12/cook-perfect-chilli-con-carne

I don't use her recipe but this is pretty interesting
>>
don't you guys add cocoa or dark chocolate? Did this yesterday for the first time and it was so much better than the other times. Thought this was pretty standard.
>>
>>7420117
>http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2011/may/12/cook-perfect-chilli-con-carne
Congrats, you made mole.
>>
>>7420776
like i say, i don't use the recipe but its an interesting article
>>
File: 1404690106682.png (254 KB, 497x425) Image search: [Google]
1404690106682.png
254 KB, 497x425
>easy to make with relatively abundant and tolerable results
>espoused by nu-chefs as some god-tier food on the level of bacon and nutella

I fucking hate chili merely for the autistic cancer-chefs who post daily chili threads, all with the SAME FUCKING EXACT BASIC-BITCH RECIPE:

>fry ground beef, onions, and supermarket spices
>bring to simmer in big pot with le beans/no beans meme and tomato
>think ur good at cooking

Truly a meme food.
>>
File: 1417809783182.gif (767 KB, 298x298) Image search: [Google]
1417809783182.gif
767 KB, 298x298
I prepared a pot for my tabletop group following this recipe today http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/11/real-texas-chili-con-carne.html

Right now it is more like a hot beef soup. Already went against the 'authentic Texas chili' meme and added some tomato paste but I'm still contemplating dumping a can of tomatoes in there
>>
>>7420843

>hot beef soup

first time making chili I suppose

take it off the heat and let it cool in the fridge overnight, it'll taste much better in the morning.
>>
>>7420868
>first time making chili I suppose
first time without a tomato base, yeah
that's good, looking forward to it then. I was a bit worried.
>>
>>7420875

>that combination of dried and fresh different varieties of chili
>fish sauce and masa harina

That looks like a pretty Patrician recipe

do post results when you're done.
>>
Don't listen to people who use beans, beans aren't good. Also don't listen to people who say: "But that's not real chili!" Nobody gives a fuck, real chili isn't good.
>>
>>7420808
>Allowing people's opinions to form the basis of your food tastes rather than your palate.
>>
>>7421224

>not being strongly influenced by memes and the autistic retards spouting them

u must be below 25 years old to post here
>>
>>7416516
Use only fresh dried chilis, at least 3 varieties to make your chili powder. Use good quality oregano, mexican variety of possible. Use chunks of meat like beef and lamb, use ground pork as well. Beans are completely optional. I cook mine in a heavy le cruset dutch oven in a 300 degree oven to simmer. A small bit of cinnamon will knock the flavor up a bunch. A good quality chocolate will do the same, particularly with black beans.
>>
>>7416522
>>
>>7418662
If you buy chili powder you have failed.
>>
I mean if you really want to do something special why not braise half a hog with a bunch of smoked chilis, toss in some maters and garlic and call it a day?
>>
>>7421246
>ground pork
bolognais
>cinnamon
moussaka
>chocolate
holy mole
>black beans
feijoada

What the fuck are you cooking man?
>>
>>7416516
beans if you want them. roasted frozen corn if you wanted. Fresh toast your spices in oil if you want the best results. Cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, warm spices if you are into that. Garlic, celery seed, onion, cumin, all nice.
Brown beef alb in a skillet.
Add 2 onions and a 2 cloves of garlic.
Add spices to taste.
Add a beer and about 2 cups of tomatoes of your choice. Add cornstarch (2tsp) Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer. Add frozen corn, beans, cheese, sour cream, at the end. I think adding quark at the end instead of sour cream would be nice. Just what came to mind. Depends how classic you want it I guess. Can just be a chuck roast stew with minimal tomato and no beans or a full tomato, corn, bean ground beef stew or a pasty ground beef warm spice Greek chili. I also like layering cornbread (make or buy), cheese, and sour cream in a mason jar.
>>
>>7416589
no spices?
>>
>>7421246
That sounds delicious. I wanna write that down to make next time. Would it be huge heresy to add pineapple?
>>
>>7421246
>Use only fresh dried chilis, at least 3 varieties to make your chili powder. Use good quality oregano, mexican variety of possible. Use chunks of meat like beef and lamb, use ground pork as well. Beans are completely optional. I cook mine in a heavy le cruset dutch oven in a 300 degree oven to simmer. A small bit of cinnamon will knock the flavor up a bunch. A good quality chocolate will do the same, particularly with black beans.
could I use ground pork mild/spicy sausage?
>>
2 shots of espresso
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.