[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Need Industry Advice
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3
File: 1453675387493.gif (647 KB, 456x522) Image search: [Google]
1453675387493.gif
647 KB, 456x522
Went form working at a mid-end tier local pizza place to working for a semi-shitty regional pizza place.

Breaks down like this:

Mom and pop:
>great people
>awesome food, take pride in my work
>work as kitchen slave making pasta dishes and salads, sometimes have to make pizza by hand
>pay is great, eventually hour become fucked because owner hired his lifelong friend back to do my job
>quit because get 15 hours a week

Shitty regional chain:

>get hired on the spot as a shift leader
>quality is barely past Pizza Hut - have zero pride in my job
>hours are guaranteed, but pay sucks and raises promised to me during hiring interview aren't worth a damn (fifty cents here and there, not anywhere what I was making)
>much later hours
>more responsibilities
>can't even subsist on in-house food because it's shit.

The counter girl and I got to talking and we're both griping about our shrinking paychecks. She says that she's thinking about applying to the Cheesecake Factory because they've been fucking her on hours after they hired on a second counter girl. I casually say that I wish that hey were hiring line cooks, she immediately says that they are, pulls out her phone and shows me.

At my old job I was more or less a short order cook under immense strain and have no experience as a line cook. However, I'd be more than grateful to start out as a prep cook and work my way to line cook, since the pay looks good.

This isn't meant to be a career, I'm going back to school but I'd like a job that I don't dread going to and has a good paycheck. As it stands, apparently, Taco Bell shift leaders make more than I do and I want to have some pride in my work (I like cooking and I think I do it well).

From what the counter girl told me, it seems like they fired a shitty crew or a whole crew left because all positions are open at Cheesecake Factory. So that's worth considering.

Should I go see what Cheesecake Factory has to offer? I really sort of hate my job right now.
>>
File: 1264991856901.jpg (35 KB, 476x605) Image search: [Google]
1264991856901.jpg
35 KB, 476x605
>>7416111
tl;dr: should I leave my job where hours are guaranteed, but hourly is shit to get a job where hours might not be guaranteed and the pay and work is better?

I ain't going back to my old job because I'd have to have the same conversation with the owner about how I'm working too much or too little.

I have four years of experience working the food service industry so technically I could easily get the job at The Cheesecake Factory. My references would speak well of me, additionally.

I just want a job where I'm producing something worth a damn, the hours are flexible (weekends are shot obviously), I can hang around other drunks and the pay is half-way decent.

Also, I would love some feedback from other Cheesecake Factory employees, past and present.
>>
>>7416135
>I have four years of experience working the food service industry
how do you not already know that most of us work two jobs?
>>
File: 1359655617515.jpg (72 KB, 988x688) Image search: [Google]
1359655617515.jpg
72 KB, 988x688
>>7416137
I don't want to work two jobs, I just want to work 30-35 hours while I finish my degree.
>>
>>7416140
>I don't want to work two jobs,
well then tough luck! shut the fuck up and stop complaining if you already know whats up. What do you expect anyone here to tell you?
>>
>>7416111
I suggest cyanide like your wimp ass leader took.
>>
>>7416160
>>7416137
>cooks crabs in a bucket
>doesn't realize anything
>>
>>7416111

Cheesecake factory is 110% factory cooking, the most prep you'll do will be sorting veg into a cooler out of the buckets and cutting open soup bags and maybe dropping pasta.

that said, it's a restaurant with a line, and it's experience in doing a hellish job in a better place than you are now so go for it. you're just uptrading the shit sandwich, so to speak

speak spanish and it's a lock. if not, be nice to Manuel and Jesus because they were born better cooks than you and they hate their lives at least as much as you
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.