[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's a good place to find traditional and modern German
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 15
What's a good place to find traditional and modern German recipes?

I speak some german, so german language sites are fine.
>>
Our 18th century traditional cooking high-priestess in Westfalia, western Germany is a lady called Henriette Davidis. Google her for original operose recipes. Or visit her museum in the city of Dortmund.
>>
>>7413563
Thanks! That's really helpful!
>>
File: 147loo6h.jpg (321 KB, 1028x1196) Image search: [Google]
147loo6h.jpg
321 KB, 1028x1196
>>7413533
I can provide you with a few if you want, central germany, pic related.

A sunday classic:

> get beef from the upper lobe, no idea how you call it
> slices, more long that wide
> tenderize them
> pepper and salt
> spread some german mustard thinly on it
> add similar sized slices of bacon, pickle and onion
> roll them fucker up, fix them with toothpicks
> sear them in butter or oil in a pan together with carrots and celery, till browned nicely
> add hot water, keep searing
> repeat til you get a nice brown stock
> add some more water, let it cook
> make a roux
> remove rouladen, add roux to stock to get gravy
> put rouladen back in gravy, lid on you pan
> cook them in your oven for 1,5-2 hours
> turn them regularly, add water if needed

> get red cabbage (~pound)
> grate it
> grate or dice half an apple
> add apple, salt, pepper, sugar, cloves and a squeeze of lemon to the cabbage
> cook till soft

> cook potatoes (like you normally do)
> grate them
> chill them for a day
> grate raw, peeled potatoes
> salt raw, peeled potatoes
> mix
> form dumplings
> squeeze them
> squeeze them again
> squeeze them until firm and dry as posible
> cook in salted water until they swim on top

(Yes that is a lot of work but you probably lack the right kitchen tools so I provide the most basic way to make them)

WA LA!
You just made THE sunday dish of thuringia, "(Thüringer) Klöße und Rinderrouladen mit Rotkraut", curtesy of my grandmother (who just told me how to and I translated on the spot, so excuse mistakes or weird forms of expression
>>
>>7413758
I don't lack kitchen tools at all, and desu that doesn't sound bad, especially for a nice meal on the weekend or for company.
>>
File: hasenhuette-rostbraetel.jpg (66 KB, 480x352) Image search: [Google]
hasenhuette-rostbraetel.jpg
66 KB, 480x352
>>7413533
>>7413758

Another one, but this one is simple.
Part of a typical thuringian BBQ:

Rostbrätl/Rostbrätchen:

> get pork chops or steaks
> or better a chunk of rump or neck and make your own
> tenderize
> mix dark beer, sliced onions (half an onion per steak/chop), german mustard, salt and pepper
> marinade the meat in there for 12h
> grill on CHARCOAL with the onions

Nothing special but always good.
Goes well with potato salad, or salads in general and roasted potatoes.
>>
>>7413782
Sounds pretty fucking delicious, I did something similar a few weeks ago without the beer. I have done pork roasts in the oven in the past that had some Munich dunkel lager and stone ground mustard, pretty good shit.

What's the typical way to prepare chicken in Thuringia?
>>
File: 11543549225_7b1749c449_b.jpg (380 KB, 1024x682) Image search: [Google]
11543549225_7b1749c449_b.jpg
380 KB, 1024x682
>>7413779
That's exactly waht is is intended for.

And I'm sure you don't, I was refering to special klöße-making tools that aren't even available here anymore or that easy.
My grandma makes her dumbling "dough" with an ancient czech juicer for example. That thing is outdated by all means, but when you juice potatoes, the remains make for perfect dough (and you trow out the "juice")
The traditional tool for Klöße is a rare find nowadays and many people resort to instant "Kloßmasse" from the supermarket.
>>
>>7413795
So it's not the same thing as a potato ricer?
>>
File: Broiler-530x306.jpg (51 KB, 530x306) Image search: [Google]
Broiler-530x306.jpg
51 KB, 530x306
>>7413790
That would be "Broiler" (yes we use an English word for that here, and oddly enough, it originated for the dish in the ex-communist east).
Its basically a rotisserie chicken but you can prepare in your oven as well. According to my mother:
> wash and dry whole chicken
> rub it generously with salt, pepper and paprika
> prush it with vegetable oil
> put chicken in a pan with a little water at the bottom
> put in oven at 180°C
> brush it with oil and some more pepper and paprika regularly while cooking

Nothing special, but you get nice and tender chicken with crispy skin.
Goes well with coleslaw.
>>
>>7413816
Yeah funny enough that's how I always make chicken, just salt, pepper, and paprika or smoked paprika - always hungarian.

You eat coleslaw in Germany? I had no idea. I always figured that was more of a British thing.

What are the most popular side vegetables other than the obvious cabbage, asparagus, etc. ?
>>
File: $_1.jpg (21 KB, 322x400) Image search: [Google]
$_1.jpg
21 KB, 322x400
>>7413799
Not exactly, but I bet that works, too.
Pic related.
>>
>>7413826
Ah, we'd call that a food mill just with a larger hole attachment. Typically we use food mills for making sauces, but I imagine a ricer would probably be easier to use than our typical food mills.
>>
File: $_35.jpg (8 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
$_35.jpg
8 KB, 300x225
>>7413826
And the ancient juicer.
All hail the Malina, the patron saint of sunday lunch!
>>
>>7413824
Its simple yet good, I guessed thats a very common style.

Sure, but ours is a little different, than for example, the american coleslaw. Altough you get the American stuff in super markets as well and I like it with chicken.

Carrots are popular, or green beans, Sauerkraut (of course), broccoli, cauliflower, green peas (mixed with carrots), broccoli, brussel sprouts, kale in the north (but prepared in a different way than you might know), black salsify, beetroots.
but more popular than veggies are mushrooms, especially in a cream/herb sauce.

>>7413828
Well, I stand corrected. Easier Klöße for you!
(They make a great side to any kind of roast btw)
>>
>>7413851
I've made Klöße by hand in the past, wasn't really that bad.

However, that shit sits heavy in the stomach - I once made some with sauerbraten, and oh boy, I was full after 2 Klöße and just like 4 ounces of beef.
>>
File: unbenannt-2_MTg4NjQ0MFo.jpg (57 KB, 500x331) Image search: [Google]
unbenannt-2_MTg4NjQ0MFo.jpg
57 KB, 500x331
>>7413868
Well, 2 Klöße is a lot of food.
But now you know why a nap after the sunday lunch is so popular here.

How about a nice german breakfast, too?
Raw mince with onions on a bread roll!
>>
>>7413533

who /hollandic/ here?
>>
>>7413878
Yeah no shit it's a lot of food, I felt like I eat a brick! Not doing that again.

Ich habe eine yogurt oder hafer fur fruhstuck
>>
>>7413885
Yeah, that would make a better breakfast, but the mince roll is popular with tradesmen and construction workers, etc. for obvious reasons

But if you want a hearty one:
> make omelette or sugarless pancakes
> cook potatoes, slice potatoes
> fry them with bacon and onions
> roll potatoes onions, bacons in the pancake
> add extra bacon or mushrooms if you want

Bauernfrühstück
>>
>>7413908
Trinkst du Bier?
>>
>>7413922
Sure.
Pic related is my favorite. Black beer is typial for central germany although this one is from the north.
>>
File: cenabase.png (87 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
cenabase.png
87 KB, 256x256
>>7413883
hallo
>>
>>7413933
I wish we could get more schwarzbier in the US. I've had it once or twice. We don't even get that many decent Bocks

Pretty easy to find Doppelbock, Munich Dunkel, Dunkelweizen, or Weizenbock though.
>>
File: köstritzer.jpg (128 KB, 754x1005) Image search: [Google]
köstritzer.jpg
128 KB, 754x1005
>>7413961
Not even pic related? the standart fare when it comes to german Schwarzbier.

Well you can get the Störtebeker online on their homepage. No idea if they ship to the states though
>>
>>7413988
simply epic
>>
>>7413988
The turk down the street is a nice man who sells döner for years now and is very generous with the filling

>>7413961
>>7413981
http://www.wine-searcher.com/find/kostritzer+schwarz+beer+germany

Does that help? Also you could get other brands via eBay I guess.
>>
>>7413998
Yeah I would never bother ordering from some online place to here. I'm sure the beer would be old as shit if you aren't going through the proper channels.
>>
>>7414006
So nothing from the list close to you, huh? Sucks.

Well most beer has a rather long shelf life but I see where youre coming from with this.
>>
>>7414284
I really disagree, beer is best fresh. If I had it my way, I'd drink it straight from the keg all the time.

I will be able to once I have all the parts for a german-style decoction homebrew setup next year :)
>>
>>7414297
If you want something bottled that's basically "it's like straight from the keg" look for Keller(bier), its basically unfiltered, bottled straight form the keg.
No replacement for actual fresh beer though, but maybe worth a look if you can get some.
>>
>>7414310
Yeah we have plenty of places that serve german beers on tap :) I've been drinking Weihenstephaner for what, 7-8 years now?

We don't get too many Kellerbiers here, a few are made but almost none from Germany. Weihenstephaner's 1516 kellerbier is supposed arrive in March though, pretty excited for it.
>>
>>7414330
The "problem" with german beers abroad is that its 99% the stuff from the big brewery groups. It is not bad beer at all but actual german beer tradition is mostly regional stuff you barely get outside of a 5-30km radius off its origin.

But Weihenstephaner is as good as it gets, so there's that.
Can you get something like Augustiner? Stuff is pretty great, they like to do the whole regional schtick but its a widely available brand
>>
>>7414342
We do actually get a lot of the good stuff:

* Weihenstephaner
* Einbecher
* Reissdorf
* Fruh
* Hofbrau Munchen
* Schneider
* Ayinger
* Spaten-Franziskaner
* Paulaner
* Hacker-Pschorr
* Erdinger
* Augustiner

That doesn't mean it is fresh, or that the selection is good. It depends on the city, the store, etc. One place in my town has an ok selection, but all the bottles are old as fuck and were mistreated. Another place on the other side of town from me is the main store, so they go through them quickly and are never so old that you'd pour them down the drain.
>>
>>7414352
> Weihenstephaner
> Hofbräu
> Ayinger
> Hacker-Pschorr
> Augustiner

Wow, that is a great selection.
Ever tried to request a schwarzbier at one of those places?
Most joints here are happy to receive that kind of request.
>>
>>7414369
So disitrubtoin laws are really retarded in the US. No store can order directly from Germany.

It goes like this:

* German Brewer

* US importer buys from German brewer

* US distributor buys from US importer, and this only works if that US importer even delivers to your state

* Beer store has to even stock or do business with that US distributor

* You can order stuff somewhat, depending on the state. In my state, I can't order online from a distributor. Where I'm moving this summer you can.

So unless one of those breweries I listed makes one, it's unlikely I can get one. Even then, I'd have to order a case (24 bottles) minimum. ALso, I have no guarantee that it's fresh, and German beers run about anywhere from $2-$4 depending, so minimum of 48 up to 96 dollars just to try a beer if they don't normally stock it.
>>
>>7414393
distribution* jesus
>>
File: sauerkra.jpg (96 KB, 731x600) Image search: [Google]
sauerkra.jpg
96 KB, 731x600
this is default food
>>
File: dunkel.gif (22 KB, 140x261) Image search: [Google]
dunkel.gif
22 KB, 140x261
>>7414393
Holy crap. The more you know I guess.
But if its about the breweries, Hofbräu has a nice Dunkel maybe if you can get HB anyway, they could get their Dunkel, too.
The prices are still fucked up. Augustiner goes for around 1€/bottle here and that is considered expensive.
>>
>>7414413
Yep, the prices are fucked up indeed.

We can get plenty of Munich Dunkels, they are quite popular. All the Bocks made stateside are shit unless you live around the Great Lakes where there is a larger German population. Schwarzbier? Just forget it. The ones made here are often flavored with crap. Sam Adams makes one that you can hardly ever find that's decent.
>>
>>7414423
Anon, I think it#s clear what you have to do:
Start a Schwarzbier brewery and be the next big beer fad!

Also, a german Getränkemarkt in the States that could maintain his supply lines would be a gold mine.
>>
>>7414442

Haha I'm definitely more of a wheat beer and starkbier fan, but I do plan on brewing my own schwarzbier a time or two for sure.

Those places do exist, but only in the strongest of german settled areas in the US.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.